I had to include this recipe on my blog for some of my friends. For a while and a long time ago- it was regarded as my ‘signature dish’ and I seemed to make it all the time. I hadn’t done it for years until recently, when good mates were out from Canada and asked me to make it for supper at their house.
This is a four phase recipe and involves combining the four elements.
It can be modified and parts left out as desired – or other things like bacon can be added (which is very very nice), or chilli if you like some heat or even tuna, or smoked mussels……..
1. Penne pasta – 1 x 500 gm packet (or less as required)
2. Selection of Vegetables to be roasted –eg courgette, red and yellow peppers, patty pans, red onions, aubergine etc..(for me the aubergine is essential)
- Olive oil
- Whole Garlic Cloves (optional) – to be added and roasted with the other veggies
3. Pesto – Home made or a good bought pesto sauce – about 4 – 6 tablespoons (as required and preferred)
4. Tomato Sauce:
- About a Kg of fresh tomatoes or 2 x tins of Italian tomatoes
- I x onion finely chopped
- Fresh herbs if possible otherwise dry (like Basil / Oregano / mixed)
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- Crushed garlic
- Dash of wine (I normally use white)
- Big dash of cream
- Capers (optional)
- Salt & Pepper
how to make:
- Start with the Tomato sauce (as takes the longest)
- Heat olive oil in a heavy based pot / large frying pan
- Fry chopped onions and garlic until soft
- Add the tins of tomatoes (or if using fresh – skin and chop first)…. and the wine
- Cook slowly until thickens (squashing from time to time)
- Add Herbs, salt & pepper and keep over low heat (just simmer away)
Clean and dry veggies and cut up into big pieces (or as preferred)
Place in large roasting pan and pour olive oil over to coat
Cook in preheated oven (about 200 C) – until soft and starting to darken around edges (about 30 minutes) – shake pan a few times during cooking process to turn the veggies
- Bring a large pot of salty water to the boil and cook the penne until al dente – drain in colander
- When the veggies come out the oven and the Penne is cooked….
- Stir the pesto sauce through the pasta
- Add the roasted veggies
- Add the fresh cream to the tomato sauce and stir.
- Add the tomato sauce to the pasta and stir (… you can put it back onto the heat if you are needing to keep it warm before serving)
Serve with parmesan cheese and crusty bread
Born up a tree!