halva frozen yoghurt

drizzle over some extra honey

I used to make halva ice cream using ready-made vanilla ice cream, thawing this slightly and then mixing in honey and tahini, then re freezing. Totally delicious with  the essence of  halva coming through.

Thought this would work well with yoghurt as a base, but will definitely want to try it with a cream ice cream base.

recipe:

• 1kg full cream greek yoghurt (used the Woolies organic one)
  • 100ml easy pour honey (makes the mixing in easier) – you could add more if you want it sweeter
  • 4 Tbsp tahini

Mix all of the above in a bowl and churn through an ice cream maker if want to make a frozen dessert.

This thick creamy mixture is so delicious as is, it would work so well just dolloped directly onto:  fruit, caramelised fruit, baked fruit,  muesli or as a cream replacement with a nice almond tart.

Sprinkle on some toasted nuts or stir through chopped pistachios.

halva frozen yoghurt

11 Responses to halva frozen yoghurt

1. Marisa March 26, 2010 at 2:05 pm #

Oh my, this sounds super. Beats my attempt at frozen yoghurt. :-/

2. Juno March 27, 2010 at 10:11 am #

What a wonderful and inspired recipe. Love your blog!

3. drizzle & dip March 27, 2010 at 11:47 am #

Thank you! it gets quite hard in the freezer, but just temper it at room temp for a few mintutes to get it back to a nice soft consistency.

4. lynn h August 10, 2011 at 2:28 pm #

can you make this without an ice cream machine?

5. Sam August 10, 2011 at 2:39 pm #

Hi Lynn

I have made this using ready made ice cream, let it melt a bit, mix in the tahina etc and then re freeze. I am not sure if it would work with yoghurt that hasn’t churned. it would work with ready made frozen yoghurt.

Thanks Sam (its fabulous)

6. Nickle May 18, 2013 at 1:46 am #

Interesting, never tried freezing it. I make a similar mix, never measured anything just put low fat Turkish/Greek/Bulgarian style yoghurt, honey and tahina together with some rose or orange blossom water, stir well and chuck some ripe strawberries on top. I like it nearly sweet but not quite, and the strawberries sweet and tasty, they burst flavour in your mouth and contrast with the halva flavoured yoghurt. I find it quite addictive.

7. Sam May 18, 2013 at 3:37 pm #

Hi Nickle, your yoghurt fruit combo sounds amazing 🙂
    sam

8. Nickle May 20, 2013 at 12:01 am #

Yes, and thanks for reminding me, I’ve got some in the fridge!

1. strawberry jam frozen yoghurt - June 6, 2010

[…] to my halva frozen yoghurt, its great to add a scoop with fresh fruit and berries, a bit of skim milk and turn into a […]

2. Very easy halva ice cream | - February 17, 2012

[…] have also made it with yoghurt , but prefer the creaminess of ice […]

3. Halva ice cream | Drizzle and Dip - February 17, 2012

[…] have also made it with yoghurt , but prefer the creaminess of ice […]