I made up these little tarts with some leftover pastry I had lying around. I had a few ripe black figs that have been begging to be combined with blue cheese and pastry. Make up a batch of short crust pastry (a savoury version is better) or just line some tart cases with ready rolled puff pastry.
recipe: for 6 – excluding pastry (extrapolate up or down as necessary)
- 4 eggs
- 250 ml cream
- a block of blue cheese of choice – I like gorgonzola or Simonzola
How to make:
- preheat your oven to 180 degrees c
- line your tart tins with pastry (as per above) and bake for about 10 minutes (I don’t find it necessary to bake small pastry tarts ‘blind’ first)
- beat the eggs and cream
- when they have just turned golden remove from the oven
- crumble some blue cheese into the bottom
- put half a fig in the tart
- cover 3/4 to the top with the egg and cream mixture
- add the other half a fig and another crumble of blue cheese
- place the tarts on a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes, until firm and set and golden brown
This recipe and quantity would work for a single 23cm tart.