roasted aubergine, courgette and mushroom crumble

roasted aubergine, courgette and mushroom crumble

I stumbled across a recipe for a savoury crumble on one of my favourite food bloggers site: Matt Bites and thought it was such an innovative concept.  Why does a crumble have to be sweet?

He wrote that he had seen and eaten such a dish in France.

Apple crumble is one of my favourite desserts, and I love roasted veggies so it all made so much sense to me.

I altered his recipe on the crumble, I felt it needed more flour and I added cheese. I used a mix of aubergine, courgette and mushroom. I added more thyme to the recipe and pre cooked the courgette and aubergine first in a little olive oil that I had used to confit some cold smoked garlic.

Its all about layering the flavour, but any infused olive oil would work or just EVOO (extra virgin olive oil).

This is what you will need to make one generous savoury crumble:

Crumble topping:

• 1 cup of flour
  • 70gms of butter
  • 50gms of grated Gruyere (Parmesan would work well too)
  • 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves

For the filling:

• half a large aubergine cut into medium sized cubes
  • 3 med/ large courgettes sliced on the diagonal (always just so much prettier than a straight round disc cut)
  • 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 2 large tomatoes, skinned and roughly chopped
  • 125gm (half a punnet) white button mushrooms sliced
  • 1 teaspoon thyme roughly chopped
  • seasoning
  • a splash of olive oil

How to make this:

• preheat the oven to 180 C
  • grease a 28-30cm pie dish or any other suitable sized oven tray (I like to have a fairly wide top so that the crumble is spread out quite thinly so that it gets nice and crunchy), or you could make this in individual ramekins
  • roast the courgette and aubergine for 15 minutes with a bit of olive oil
  • whilst that is roasting, skin the tomatoes and chop
  • make the topping by mixing all the butter and flour with your fingers, then add the other  ingredients and mix lightly until it all comes together and a nice crumb is formed. If it is too dry add a few treaspoons of water
  • add the tomatoes to a bowl with the chopped mushrooms, garlic and thyme
  • add the courgette and aubergine and mix it all together
  • empty all the veg into the pie dish
  • sprinkle the savoury crumb mix over the vegetable mix to cover the surface and bake in the oven for 45 minutes and it’s bubbling with a nice brown crumble top

I absolutely loved the concept, and the flavour of this dish was so French. My house smelt a bit like a little bistro. This is heartwarming comfort food at its best, and so many variations can stem from it.

Roasted red onions, peppers, leeks etc or even a  bit of bacon would work well.

A nice little splash of white wine wouldnt go amiss, and if not, certainly a glass to accompany it.

crunchy salty topping on warm comforting soft roasted vegetables

the tomato, thyme and garlic make a lovely sauce component

, ,

12 Responses to roasted aubergine, courgette and mushroom crumble

1. Laeni Gittins November 8, 2010 at 6:27 pm #

Sammie – sounds delicious! Will definately try this this weekend! YUM!

2. nina November 9, 2010 at 5:50 am #

You are right, the layering is crutial and I like the smokiness you have added here!!!

3. Marisa December 3, 2010 at 1:57 pm #

Great concept! Tried something similar a while ago using roasted root veggies and parmesan in the crumble topping and it was divine. Definitely an idea that needs some more exploration.

4. Dharsh January 28, 2011 at 7:59 pm #

Hi Sam,

I just moved to Paris and ate in an amazing authentic kitchen today. It’s called Mammie Galette and I had a roasted courgette and aubergine tart. I found your recipe as I wanted to make it for dinner tonight and needed to know how to make the crumble, as in quantities (DUH!)
    The dish today had 3 main ingredients; courgette, aubergine and tomato. But it also included pine nuts.Which brought out the flavour of the vegetabels and cheese. As I have only just discovered your blog I will be browsing it in the coming days.

Thank you and all the best with teh cooking, blog and journey…..
    From another foodie!
    Dharsh

5. Dharsh January 28, 2011 at 8:06 pm #

Hiya, it’s me again, realised I made a mistake with the name of the cafe/kitchen – ‘Salon de The’ (in case anyone wanted to visit it). It’s called ”Mamie Gateaux” and I have attached a link of someone elses blog; that talks about it:

Dharsh

6. drizzleanddip January 29, 2011 at 10:43 am #

Hi Dharsh
    Thanks so much for the comments on the recipe and I think pine nuts would be absolutely amazing with this, giving a bit of extra crunch. I wish I could get to Paris more often, I do so love that city.
    Enjoy!
    Thanks

7. J.P April 20, 2012 at 5:01 pm #

Hey I love the enthusiasm on your website
    I was at ski resort in France and they made me aubergine crumble which was absolutely amazing, got the recipe but the mushrooms and pine nuts are definately something I would love to add to it.

8. Sam April 20, 2012 at 10:16 pm #

Thanks JP – a nice winter comfort meal. Sam

9. Sian June 14, 2016 at 1:02 pm #

Tried this and it was delicious and very filling!

10. Sam June 14, 2016 at 4:11 pm #

Im glad you liked it Sian. I must make it again, had forgotten about it. Thnaks for the reminder

11. KEA July 7, 2016 at 8:59 am #

Looks lovely but it has the category label “vegetarian” – gruyere and parmesan are not vegetarian-friendly cheeses due to the rennet used in them. Anyone making this for a vegetarian should use a vegetarian alternative.

What were the ingredients of the non-cheesy crumble?

1. brinjal and courgette bake with a garlic and parmesan crumb | Drizzle and Dip - May 1, 2011

[…] roasted aubergine, courgette and mushroom crumble […]