easy tortilla pizza with blue cheese, pear, coppa and rocket

I got into making pizzas using tortilla’s as a base last year and find them to be the perfect way to get a pizza fix in a hurry.  I always have flour tortillas on hand either in my cupboard or in my freezer, so within 10 minutes you can knock up a delicious snack.  The thinner base means you just need a light smattering of toppings so there is none of the heavy, stodginess of an ordinary pizza base, but all the taste.

I was making a pear, blue cheese and walnut salad with rocket, and figured these ingredients would work well on a pizza.

• pre heat the oven to 200 C
  • brush a flour tortilla with olive oil (I used the Willowcreek parmesan infused olive oil)
  • grate a light dusting of pecorino or parmesan over the base
  • scatter small chunks of blue cheese fairly liberally over and arrange a few very thin slices of pear around
  • I tore up 2 slices of Richard Bosmans coppa
  • bake for 4 – 5 minutes until the edges are just starting to brown and all the cheese has melted
  • sprinkle over chopped walnuts and fresh rocket

Its rich and creamy, salty and sweet and would be perfect with drinks.

My previous tortilla pizza recipe can be found here.

, , , , , , ,

14 Responses to easy tortilla pizza with blue cheese, pear, coppa and rocket

1. The Food Fox - Ilse van der Merwe May 9, 2011 at 9:46 am #

Now THAT looks like my kind of snack!

2. Lori May 9, 2011 at 2:47 pm #

What a great way to get a pizza fix (which seems to be a constant craving lately) but without the mass of calories from a standard pizza loaded with cheese and a thicker base. Stunning.

3. William Baldie May 9, 2011 at 3:13 pm #

Looks fantastic and I love the idea of using the tortillas! It’ll be great if you grill the pears before hand and can even add a few asparagus spears!

4. Sam May 9, 2011 at 8:11 pm #

Thanks William, asparagus would be lovely.

5. Marisa May 12, 2011 at 4:20 pm #

Evidently I need to get in on that coppa action…

6. Sam May 12, 2011 at 5:17 pm #

Richard Bosmans coppa is lovely. I like that it is quite dry and not too fatty, whilst delivering on the salty ‘bacon-ey ness”. A nice alternative.

7. Janet Thaeler April 11, 2012 at 5:00 am #

Thank you – I loved this idea. I used bottled sauce and made a classic pepperoni and it was fantastic. My best was with chopped artichoke hearts, chopped mushrooms that had been sauted in butter, and asparagus pieces (can be grilled first). Then a small bit of mozzarella.

I didn’t realize that the oven temperature was in Celsius – it came out much better when I turned it up to 400 degrees F.

So far I’ve made 2 things from your blog and they have both been amazing.

Blog On,
    Janet

8. Sam April 11, 2012 at 11:45 am #

Thanks so much for the nice comments Janet and glad you enjoy. I love your ideas too, especially the artichokes.

9. Jo June 8, 2014 at 2:01 pm #

I just made a vegetarian version of this for lunch! Wow! So delicious. I used some fresh figs instead of coppa as my boyfriend is vegetarian. I will definitely me making more tortilla pizzas in the future. They get so wonderfully crispy.

10. Sam June 8, 2014 at 2:24 pm #

Thats Great Jo – thanks for the comment.

11. mysuitcasediaries January 6, 2017 at 9:15 pm #

I’ve just discovered your blog and this recipe! You have saved my evening. Dinner is sorted!

12. Sam January 7, 2017 at 8:05 am #

I Hope you enjoyed the pizza.

1. pear, blue cheese and walnut salad with a maple syrup vinaigrette | Drizzle and Dip - May 9, 2011

[…] decided to try a quick tortilla pizza bianco using these ingredients to see how that would work. And work, it most certainly […]

2. Easy naan bread pizza with roasted tomato sauce | Drizzle and Dip - October 19, 2016

[…] if that’s what you are after, and you can make a tomato based pizza or a bianca version like this or like this. I love the naan bread pizza too. Its a little thicker to handle more robust […]