roasted cauliflower with curry, cumin and dukkah

by Sam on June 14, 2011

roasted cauliflower with curry, cumin and dukkah

I think cauliflower is a bit of an underrated vegetable because it can often be bland, soggy and tends to get doused in too much sauce.  I think its relative ‘plain-ness’ gives it an advantage in that it absorbs a variety of flavours well, and when cooked correctly can offer up some stunning crunchy texture. This is why I like to cook it dry in the oven with spicy flavours.

This is so simple to make.

Pre heat the oven to 200 C and cut the florets off a head of cauliflower and place them in a large mixing bowl.  Add 2 teaspoons of curry powder (I used medium), 1 teaspoon of cumin and a generous grinding of salt. Spread the cauliflower florets over a baking tray and drizzle over some olive oil to lightly coat and sprinkle over a teaspoon of dukkah.  Bake for 20 minutes until cooked and a bit crispy. When its out the oven, scatter another teaspoon of dukkha and season to taste with salt (I love smoked salt), and chilli flakes if you want it even spicier.

Serve this warm or allow them to cool, and eat in a salad.

*I use Nomu Dukkah

spicy and a little bit crunchy

take a stand against bland

sprinkle over extra chilli flakes to take up the heat

Lori June 14, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I will never forget the first time I had roasted cauliflower… sublime. Adds SO much to the taste. This soup sounds divine

Lori June 14, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Sorry, meant to say – this as a soup would be divine!

Sam June 14, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Lori, oh Yum! I love the idea of this in a soup. I enjoy a cauliflower soup, so now you have inspired me again darling :-)

Hannah Mendenhall June 14, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Oooh those look so good! I’ll have to try making a dehydrated version.

Anna June 15, 2011 at 6:10 pm

I love roasted cauliflower, though I usually just sprinkle it with olive oil, garlic salt and s&p. This looks way better. Now I need to find a place that carries dukkha and I’ll be all set. Yum!

michelle in wellington, nz June 17, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I have recently discovered the pure joy of roasted cauliflower – so simple and so utterly delicious. Your recipe looks wonderful and I just happen to have an entire cauliflower head lurking in my fridge.

While I have to be careful with nuts so dukkah is a rare treat, I have the rest of the ingredients on hand – plus I’ll add a little ground Sumac somewhere along the route of cooking cauliflower based on your recipe. Roasted cauli is so very much better than cauliflower cheese!!!

Sam June 20, 2011 at 10:52 am

Hi Michelle, I found that discovering roasted cauliflower (dry) was such a revelation for me and has allowed me to appreciate this vegetable so much more. Dukkah is not necessary and I do like the sound of sumac (yum). I really love it cold too and tossed into a salad the next day, or just snacked on its own.
Thanks for leaving a comment.
sam

André Chénier June 2, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I always appreciate comments that says certain ingredients are not essential in a recipe.