grilled turkish apricot and goats cheese salad with crispy bacon

apricot and goats cheese salad with crispy bacon

I was thrilled with the flavour of my Turkish dried apricots stuffed with apricots and wrapped in bacon recipe I did a couple of weeks back and played around using these ingredients in simple salad.

salty, sweet and creamy

I cut the soft and semi dried Turkish apricots into strips.  I chopped up a couple of rashers of dry cured and smoked streaky bacon (about 2 slices per portion) and pan fried them until crispy.  I removed them from the pan and added the apricot slices to the pan and quickly fried until they just started to blister.  It is not totally necessary to do this, you could just leave use them as is, but I wanted to warm and soften them slightly, and allow them to absorb the delicious bacon fat.

Scatter the apricots and bacon over a bed of leaves of your preference and add small chunks of goats cheese.  Drizzle over a vinaigrette dressing.

Yum!

some nice flavour and texture

with rocket and watercress leaves

, , , , , ,

12 Responses to grilled turkish apricot and goats cheese salad with crispy bacon

1. Lori June 21, 2011 at 11:21 am #

The watercress / rocket salad is the perfect flavour accompaniment – nice and peppery.
    Love the green cloth under the dish!

2. Shay June 21, 2011 at 4:20 pm #

This salad looks absolutely incredible! The color and all the different textures…just lovely. At first glance, I thought you grilled the apricots. Wishing this for lunch. 🙂

3. Jeanne @ CookSister! June 21, 2011 at 6:04 pm #

OMG I am SO making this! What a wonderful combination of flavours & so pretty too 🙂

4. Sam June 22, 2011 at 2:55 pm #

Thanks Jeanne!

5. Sam June 22, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

Thanks Shay, I did lightly grill these semi dried (soft) apricots just to warm them and let them caramalise slightly. Not sure what you would call them in the USA. We call them ‘Turkish’ apricots.
    sam x

6. Marisa July 13, 2011 at 4:42 pm #

Goodness, you’re trying to seduce me with all these fab combinations, aren’t you? Well you’re succeeding. Plus, the fact that it’s almost time to eat really doesn’t help. What was I thinking trawling foodblogs at 4:45pm…?

7. chilf October 14, 2011 at 12:13 am #

I made this a couple of weeks ago, but used lamb’s lettuce instead of watercress and rocket leaves. Just because I had leftover.
    Aaaaaand it was divine. But I think it’s rather a summery than an autumn meal so I’ll be excited to make that again next year in spring or summer 🙂

Thanks for sharing + greetings from gourmet Germany!

8. Sam October 14, 2011 at 7:50 am #

Hi Chilf
    Thanks for stopping in to leave a comment :-). I’m glad you liked the flavour combos of that salad, and yes I agree it is more of a summer thing.
    Have a lovely day!

9. Sam June 27, 2017 at 11:26 am #

Please don’t copy other peoples recipes like you have done on this post.

1. 10 Alluring Apricote Recipes | taste station blog - July 4, 2011

[…] Grilled Turkish Apricot, Goat Cheese and Bacon Salad Sweet, warm, tangy, crunchy and salty – perfection. […]

2. 10 Alluring Apricote Recipes | taste station blog - July 4, 2011

3. Member Message for Beneficial Farm, CSA for Distribution of June 29nd, 2017 | Beneficial Farms CSA - June 27, 2017

[…] Grilled Turkish apricot and goats cheese salad with crispy bacon  I cut the soft and semi dried Turkish apricots into strips. I chopped up a couple of rashers of dry cured and smoked streaky bacon (about 2 slices per portion) and pan fried them until crispy. I removed them from the pan and added the apricot slices to the pan and quickly fried until they just started to blister. It is not totally necessary to do this, you could just leave use them as is, but I wanted to warm and soften them slightly, and allow them to absorb the delicious bacon fat. Scatter the apricots and bacon over a bed of leaves of your preference and add small chunks of goats cheese. Drizzle over a vinaigrette dressing. Yum! […]