roasted aubergine wedges with hummus

by Sam on January 9, 2012

roast aubergine wedges with avo hummus

As a massive fan of hummus I was very intrigued about the Mediterranean Delicacies Avo Hummus variant and am so pleased I finally got to try it.  Its much creamier than hummus with a delicate avocado taste that marries so well with the chickpeas and the tahini.

My mind immediately started  thinking up exciting ways to use this unique and innovative product.

You could use it in all the ways you would normally use hummus such as:

• a dip for vegetables, crackers of crisps
  • with bread, pita, bagels, naan, pretzles, breadsticks
  • as a spread for sandwiches, pitas or wraps
  • smeared on cucumber slices or dolloped onto lettuce leaves or baked potatoes

delicious smooth and creamy avo hummus

Since hummus is of Middle Eastern origin, and meaning ‘chickpea’ in Arabic, a natural accompaniment is aubergine, also knows as brinjal or eggplant. Widely used in Middle Eastern cooking, it goes brilliantly with hummus.

There are also so many exciting things you can scatter over a bowl or plate of hummus to give it the X factor (not that it particularly needs it), like: chopped olives, slices of pepper, sprouts, pickled chillies and paprika.

I decided to bake aubergine wedges, getting them as close to a chip as is possible, and scattered over pomegranate seeds, sea salt and a light spray of chopped parsley.

The debate on whether you need to salt the aubergine slices before cooking or not still seems to rage.  I have to admit that I abandoned this practice years ago as I find it painfully time consuming and I had heard so many chefs say it was unnecessary.  I still however see so many recipes where they get pre-salted, so in order to put my mind fully to rest on the matter I decided to do my own trial.  I cut up one medium aubergine into 8 wedges and salted them, allowing the juices to run out for about an hour. I then dried them with paper towel and roasted them in the oven with another aubergine which I had not salted.

Pre heat the oven to 180C and brush down a baking tray with olive oil.  Place the wedges on the baking tray (I started with skin side down to start) and lightly brush the vegetables with a bit more olive oil and bake for 40 minutes.  I turned then onto their side about half way through and then again onto the other side for the last 10 minutes.

*Verdict*….insert drum roll here…….. Absolutely no difference apart from the salty ones being more salty. I shall continue to cook them the way I always have and perhaps snickering a little to myself when I see people going to all the unnecessary effort.

Arrange on a plate with a bowl of the avo hummus and serve with crispy pita toasts or crackers. Spread a layer of the hummus, top with the aubergine wedges, sprinkle over a few  pomegranate seeds which pop in your mouth adding a slight sweet burst of flavour.

salty and creamy with a burst of sweetness

*Mediterranean Delicacies can be found at select Pick n Pay, Shoprite Checkers, Spar, Fruit & Veg City and independent retailers nationwide.

Kendra January 9, 2012 at 7:17 am

Hi Sam, I’m pleased to inform you that I’ve nominated you for the Liebster Blog award! Visit my blog (www.foolwithflour.com) to get your badge. Congrats!

Sam January 9, 2012 at 7:30 am

Thank you Kendra that is very kind of you :-)

Caylee January 9, 2012 at 7:44 am

I had always wondered about salted aubergines vs. unsalted. I personally have never salted, so am glad to hear it makes no difference.

Beautiful pics as always.

Sam January 9, 2012 at 8:00 am

Thanks Caylee :-), yeah I’m pleased I put it to bed 100%.

Lori January 9, 2012 at 10:40 am

Never salt them and never will! Stunning pics!

Marianne January 9, 2012 at 11:20 am

Thanks – both my daughter and I are huge fans of both aubergine and hummus, and this recipe is a must try! It’s also nice to know how to cook aubergines without the tiresome frying relays. Recently on Nigella Kitchen I saw Nigella make a ‘chip kebab’ – she put some potato chips (slap chips?) from a take-away, slathered with hummus, into a wrap. I’m curious to try it although take-away chips are not my thing. Perhaps on oven baked chips, but that may not have the same satisfaction value.

Hila January 9, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Avo in hummus…sceptical

As for salting aubergines, there is a recipe where it IS needed. Salt them but catch the juices that flow out. Use the juices and a little bit of flour to make a batter, flour the aubergines, then pop in the batter and deep fry or bake on a high heat.

Sam January 9, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Hi Hila, Ja I was a bit skeptical too but seriously now that I’ve had it I think its preferable. Its so creamy and the avo is very subtle. Try it :-)

kate January 9, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Stunning Pics!! must say I haven’t salted an aubergine since that one time at cooking school. Gonna try the hummus too…

Sam January 9, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I’m glad to see none of us have wasted our time with the salting.

Russell at Chasing Delicious January 10, 2012 at 4:45 am

Yum! And gorgeous shots. This looks so good.

Sam January 11, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Thanks Russell :-)

Sam January 11, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Hi Marianne, I saw that too and my immediate reaction was way too many carbs and grease. Aubergines tend to soak up ever drop of oil in sight which is why I love this method of cooking them. You can do a very large batch in the oven, use much less oil and whatever you have left over is just fabulous is salads or in sandwiches.

Live to Eat January 25, 2012 at 9:46 am

Catching up on your blog Sam. Been snowed under of late… Love the look of these aubergine wedges with hummus. Could have that right now, in fact…

season junkie April 25, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Did a random blog search for aubergines and hummus as that’s all i have in the house (I don’t even have hummus – only chickpeas). was expecting to end up with a mediocre dinner but then came up with this. thanks you saved my tummy!

Sam April 25, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Yay – I am so happy to hear!!

{ 5 trackbacks }