zucchini, mushroom & bacon penne in a tomato and chipotle sauce

I am totally overjoyed by the fact that at long last we can finally buy chipotle in South Africa (or will soon be able to).  If you are reading this and live in the USA or any country where chipotle chillies are readily available you may find it surprising that up until now we have not been able to buy them here.  Thus a lot of creativity was required when cooking Mexican food as chipotle is an ingredient that dominates this cuisine.  I developed a formula to try and emulate the taste by using a combination of pickeledd jalapeno chilles and adding smoked chilli / and or paprika, but now I can venture forth and embrace the cooking of one of my favourite cuisines with more authenticity flavour.

When I talk about chipotle, I am talking about them in adobo sauce.

Chipotle 101

What is a chipotle?

It is a Jalepno chilli which has been left on the vine to the very end of its ripening stage, and has started to lose its moisture and shrivel up.  It is then picked and placed in a closed cold smoking chamber where it is simultaneously dried and cold smoked for several days.

How do you pronounce chipotle?

Chee-poat-ley

What is adobo sauce?

Because chipotle’s are dried and fairly hard, they need to be reconstituted so as to use them in cooking.  A typical way is to rehydrate them in a sauce or preparation called adobo which serves to preserve the chillies, making them more accessible to cook with.

What do they taste like?

There are many different recipes for adobo sauce, but they are all made with tomato as the base and then various herbs and spices are added.  These particular chipotle from Mexicorn are medium in heat and work really well when added to a sauce or a recipe combed with other flavours.  Thus this is not a stand alone sauce.

chipotle in adobo sauce

Recipe: (this makes 2 generous portions)

• 1/2 a pack of bacon, 125gms (about 6 – 8 rashers) – chopped
  • 250gsm mushrooms (I used brown)
  • 250gms of zucchini or courgette with the ends trimmed off and cut into slices on the diagonal
  • olive oil
  • 1 clove of garlic crushed
  • 1 – 2 Tbs of chopped jalapeno in adobo sauce (this is aprox 1 chilli and some sauce) *1Tbs if you like it mild and 2 Tbs if you want a kick
  • 1 tin of peeled tomatoes
  • 1 Tbs of brown sugar
  • coriander to serve (optional)
  • enough penne for 2 people (about 200gms)

Fry the chopped bacon with a splash of olive oil in a pan until crispy and set aside. I keep it set aside so as to maintain some of its crispiness, but you could always leave it in. In the same pan, add a bit more oil and saute the zucchini and mushrooms for a few minutes (about 5).  Add the garlic, tomatoes, sugar and chillies and cook for about 10- 15 minutes until the sauce starts to thicken.  While this is on the go, cook the pasta in salted water until al dente and drain (reserving some of the cooking liquid).  Add some of this liquid to the sauce if necessary and to loosen it up. Add the bacon back and toss this through the pasta and serve with fresh coriander (optional).

the delicious sauce is tossed in a pan with the pasta and crispy bacon bits

a sprinkling of coriander adds a dash of freshness

, , , , , , ,

16 Responses to zucchini, mushroom and bacon penne in a tomato and chipotle sauce … (and a chipotle 101)

1. Lori February 14, 2012 at 10:56 am #

SO excited that these are available in this country now!

2. Magic of Spice February 15, 2012 at 6:05 am #

Glad to here you can get chipotle chillies now, they are a favorite 🙂 Your pasta dish looks fantastic!
    Happy Valentines Day!

3. Tobias @ T and Tea Cake February 15, 2012 at 11:59 pm #

:<

The only time you can get a hint of how chipotle tastes where I live is when a certain chain of 'Burger Royalty' is having some sort of special. 🙁 So no chipotle for me.

But: Your pasta looks mighty tasty and whoah that bacon is evoking some cravings!

Cheers,
    Tobias

4. Jill February 16, 2012 at 4:14 am #

Mmmm. I love chipotle! I also love your site. I have nominated your site for the versatile blogger award. Keep up the great posts! Thank you!

5. Sam February 16, 2012 at 8:09 am #

Thanks Jill 🙂

6. Sam February 16, 2012 at 8:10 am #

Thanks Tobias, I make a similar taste using pickled jalapeno chillies and smoked chilli.

7. Nancy Stark April 21, 2012 at 5:49 pm #

where can you get chipotle? Great Site!

8. Sam April 22, 2012 at 11:16 am #

Hi Nancy, where about are you based? Main Ingredient in Cape Town stock it:http://www.mainingredient.biz/

9. Tora September 12, 2012 at 9:52 am #

yumyumyum

10. ComeDine January 16, 2013 at 8:16 pm #

Mexicorn chipotle sauce is also available in the Vredehoek Spar retailing for R30. Fairly new addition to their shelves.

11. Sam January 17, 2013 at 11:00 am #

Thanks so much for letting me know re the Chipotle being available at Spar now. I do so love that particular store.

12. ianette March 27, 2014 at 10:30 am #

Where can one buy Chipotle in Cape Town please??

13. Sam March 27, 2014 at 6:43 pm #

Hi Ianette, I have seen it at Spar Sea Point – but probably at other high Spar stores too.

1. Zucchini, mushroom and bacon penne with a tomato and chipotle sauce | - February 13, 2012

[…] Recipe: on Drizzle and Dip […]

2. How to make aioli and ideas to flavour it | Drizzle and Dip - March 28, 2012

[…] applications seem endless to me. I tried the smokey chipotle aioli I made using chipotle in adobo sauce from Mexicorn on a grilled mealie (corn on the cob) and it was delicious. The lime […]

3. chipotle prawn and gaucamole rice paper wraps | Drizzle and Dip - September 12, 2012

[…] obsessed with chipotle, I cooked these fabulous sustainable tiger prawns in a simple marinade and pan fried with lime […]