feta and zucchini fritters

by Sam on February 16, 2012

very easy zucchini and feta fritters

This is a recipe that celebrates my love affair with Zucchini, and yes I have love relationships with certain food. Its one of the most versatile vegetables, a perfect carrier for flavour and can be eaten raw and cooked.

These are so easy to make and are a wonderful addition to a picnic and brunch or if made nice and small, are the perfect canape base onto which you can top a variety of things.

I love them cold the next day too.

For this recipe I used the Mediterranean Delicacies Danish Feta which is soft and extra creamy.  They gave them a lovely rich and soft texture.

feta and zucchini fritters

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Serving Size: Serves 2 as a starter or 4 as a snack

feta and zucchini fritters

Ingredients

• 4 courgette / zucchini grated and then squeezed (about 1 full cup)
  • 50gms of Mediterranean Delicacies Feta
  • 1 egg lightly beaten
  • thyme, mint, parsley (about 2 teaspoons of each chopped)
  • 1 clove of garlic crushed
  • 2 Tbs of flour
  • 4 small spring onions finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup of crumbs (I like to use Panko Asian crumbs because they are crispier)
  • salt and pepper
  • oil for frying
  • tzatziki for dipping
  • lemon wedges to serve

Instructions

1. Grate the zucchini and then place in a tea towel and ring out all the liquid, you want these to be as dry as possible.
  2. Put in a bowl and add the flour and coat the zucchini.
  3. Add all the other ingredients and mix to combine.
  4. Heat the oil in a non stick frying pan and fry dollops of the mixture, turning when golden brown on the one side.
  5. Drain on paper towel and serve with fresh lemon wedges and Tzatziki.

Reminding me of Greece and summer, this recipe is going to be made over and over again.

zucchini and feta fritters crunchy and soft with a lovely saltiness

PS: I look forward to connecting with you again in the future.

Lori February 17, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Love them!

CyberAnonymous February 21, 2012 at 7:11 am

If you don’t provide an option for a printer-friendly version, the blog is less than usefull :-(
(Or did I miss the button?)

Clea February 21, 2012 at 7:42 am

Yum! Where did you buy the Panko?

Sam February 21, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Hi Clea, a friend bought these at and Asian supermarket in Ottery, but you can find dried breadcrumbs in most Asian stores. They may are not called Panko as such, but just breadcrumbs (but are Panko).

Joanne Petersen February 26, 2012 at 12:00 am

Can’t wait to make these with GF flour, and use as a base for other apps! (Wish you had a “print” button, though . . . )

Looking forward to trying more of your recipes!

Sam February 26, 2012 at 10:32 am

Enjoy Joanne and let me know how they turn out. I am figuring out the print option for my site. Didn’t actually know there wasn’t one.

Sam February 26, 2012 at 11:00 am

Hi CyberAnonymous, I am working on sorting the printing for my site. I have gifted around 350 recipes on this site, developed and created over the last 2 years for everyone who is interested to enjoy, share, use totally free of cahrge. I hardly think that my site is less than usefull.

Nancy March 16, 2012 at 8:00 pm

These sound delicious! Do you have the nutritional value of these, or even the Weight Watchers popints for these?

Sam March 17, 2012 at 9:32 am

Hi Nancy I’m afraid I don’t. Perhaps just add the point from the individual items and then divide by the number you make.

NatalieH March 18, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Hi

I live in Lima, Peru and the feta i get here does not measure up. Do you have any ideas on alternatives. Thanks

Sam March 18, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Hi Natalie, I think any salty white cheese will work. Perhaps Goats cheese or even blue cheese.

NatalieH March 19, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Thanks Sam. Will let you know what the results were. I find this website so helpful as i am a “home cook” but recently my husband has accepted a job that requires me to deal with cocktails, luncheons, etc. I have always been afraid of the canape idea and though that i am just to clumsy to even consider making some of these delicious fragile goods but if you have no choice then it is swim or drown time. There are some fine catering companies in this country but my husband being muslim it is difficult to utilise them.

Sam March 19, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Hi Natalie, you need not be afraid of food or canapes and just go forth and try and try again. I quite like things to be simply and rustic with an emphasis on good flavour and texture combinations. So when in doubt rather do something terribly simple that tastes good than something that looks impressive but doesn’t. It is important to make mistakes as this is the only way to really learn and find out what you really like. Feel free to ask me any questioner along the way.
Sam :-)

Jessica April 23, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I made this fried and it was amazing! Do you know how it would do baked?

Sam April 24, 2013 at 6:29 am

HI Jessica, I’m sure you could in a very hot oven, but you might lose some of the crunchy outer crust. Perhaps grease the baking tray with olive oil firs, heat it in the oven and then bake. let me know if you give it a go.

{ 6 trackbacks }