asparagus, blue cheese and parmesan quiche

asparagus quiche with blue cheese and parmesan cheese

I’m not entirely sure if this is a quiche or a tart, but here, in the interest of calorie conservation I have made it without a crust.  In the past I have made it using a ‘cheat’ crust made by frying a finely chopped onion in butter with garlic, and then tossing about a cup of  stale whole wheat bread crumbs in and pressing this into the bottom of a tart tin or suitable oven proof container before filling and baking.

I started making this without the crust when I did the Atkins diet about 10 years ago and it was the perfect  protein food with no carbs. Needless to say I think I lasted a total of 7 days on that weird regime, but had quite a lot of fun eating bacon, cheese and cream whilst on a ‘diet’.

I have used blue cheese here as it goes so well with asparagus, but a sharp cheddar works really well too. This is super easy to make and my favourite quiche recipe.

• a large bunch of fresh asparagus, woody stem removed (about 250gms) and blanched for 2 minutes in boiling water – or 2 x tins of asparagus, liquid drained off
  • 250gm sour cream or creme fraiche
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 Tbs of self raising flour
  • 100gms of blue cheese crumbled
  • 60ml (1/4 cup) of grated Parmesan cheese
  • salt and pepper
  • paprika or smoked paprika for sprinkling

Pre heat the oven to 180 C.  Beat the eggs in a bowl and add the sour cream, flour and cheese and mix.  Pour this in to a greased oven proof dish and then top with the blanched asparagus. Press the asparagus so that they are largely submerged in the liquid and sprinkle over the paprika.  Bake for 35 minutes until golden brown and firm.

This is a delightfully smooth and creamy quiche base and I have often made it using other ingredients like mushrooms, spinach or peppers. Its fabulous for a brunch, a light lunch and served warm or cold

silky smooth and loaded with asaparagus

packed with flavour

, , , , , ,

12 Responses to asparagus, blue cheese and parmesan quiche

1. Suzi February 19, 2012 at 3:37 pm #

I have always wanted to make an asparagas tart but haven’t as of yet. This looks very tasty and I love asparagas. Nice post. Have a wonderful day.

2. Marisa February 20, 2012 at 9:16 am #

Sam, I especially like the fact that a few of your recent posts were labeled ‘easy and quick’, we need all the help we can get! Thanks!

3. Lori February 20, 2012 at 9:38 am #

beautiful – and I love the fact it doesnt have the pastry base.

4. Sam February 20, 2012 at 10:07 am #

Thanks Suzi, its so very easy. let me know how it goes.

5. Sam February 20, 2012 at 10:08 am #

Hello Lolly Pop, how are you doing? Miss you so much. Sx

6. Gerogie February 20, 2012 at 6:59 pm #

Yum can not wait to try this. My mum always made a pastry-less quiche and still my favourite style.

7. Sam February 20, 2012 at 8:57 pm #

Hi Georgie, how interesting, the original recipe for this (adapted over the years) came out of an Australian Women’s weekly cook book. 🙂

8. Annette October 14, 2012 at 2:58 pm #

I want to have a conniption fit if a recipe states “a large bunch” of asparagus. Please state the weight for less clued-up people like myself!

9. Sam October 14, 2012 at 3:06 pm #

Oh dear Annette, we wouldn’t want you to have that. Its doesn’t really have to be too precise. About 8 – 10 large spears, or 400 – 500g will work. If you used less it would just be a bit more eggy.

1. Asparagus, blue cheese and Parmesan crustless quiche | - February 20, 2012