easy home made mayonnaise

by Sam on April 11, 2012

very delicious easy peasy home made mayonnaise

Once you start making your own mayonnaise, and realise just how simple and tasty it is, you wont be interested in the preservative-laden shop-bought options anymore.

I recently did some experimenting with making aioli and adding a variety of flavours which led into making this very quick and easy mayonnaise.

Aioli is wonderful, a bit richer and uses olive oil, but nothing beats a good home-made mayonnnaise to have on hand for sandwiches.

I have added a lot of flavour to this recipe, but you can just adjust it however you like.  I quite like a bit of zing, so used red wine vinegar and lemon juice. You could use all vinegar or all lemon. There are no rules.

easy home made mayonnaise

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 10 minutes

Serving Size: Makes about 2 cups

easy home made mayonnaise

Ingredients

• 2 egg yolks (free range and very fresh eggs)
  • 2 T red wine vinegar
  • 1 T lemon juice
  • 2 t Dijon mustard
  • 1 t salt
  • 3 cloves of garlic crushed (totally optional)
  • a pinch or 2 of sugar
  • black pepper (as much as you like)
  • 500ml / 2 cups of canola oil

Instructions

1. In the food processor briefly blend the eggs, vinegar, lemon, garlic, sugar and mustard.
  2. With the blade running slowly add the canola oil in a slow stream until it has all emulsified.
  3. Check the taste and add the salt and pepper and any other seasoning you may like.
  4. If it is very thick add a tablespoon or 2 of warm water to thin it down.
  5. Store in a sterilised jar in the fridge until you need it.
  6. Bear in mind that you are using fresh eggs so the life span will be shorter than store bought mayonnaise which is filled with preservatives. I found it easier to make this quantity vs a half batch, so needed to give some of it away as a gift.

Once you have your base mayonnaise the world is your flavour oyster and all the same options I used in my aiolis would work really well with this. I am especially partial to smoked spices and my smoked red pepper stirred through this is quite lovely.

Use your mayonnaise to make dips like my all-time-favourite dip with creme raiche and spring onions which can be found buried in this blog post. Or make these fabulous potato salads:

new potato salad with creme fraiche and spring onions

warm new potato salad with mint, lemon and creme fraiche

thick and creamy, ready to spread

PS: I look forward to connecting with you again in the future.

Lori April 11, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Mayonnaise is my one “cant live without” condiment and the homemade stuff is even better!

Thekla Salmon April 11, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Looks fantastic, want to dip crispy french fries right in the pictures!

Sam April 11, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I wish you were here Lori cos I’ve got a lot to spare. I’m on ‘operation-get-dimples-back’ so wont be able to tuck into much of this I’m afraid. I did stir a little into my coleslaw salad I had for lunch with a few drops of chipotle hot sauce. Yum! xx

Sam April 11, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Thank you Thekla – great with fries a-la Dutch style :-)

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious April 12, 2012 at 5:36 am

I had no idea that mayonnaise was so “do-able” right in your own kitchen. Once I make this, I’m sure I will never buy mayonnaise ever again :)

Tandy April 12, 2012 at 9:36 am

I have been making my own mayo for years – I use a stick blender – and it keeps so well and tastes way better than store bought for sure :) I love experimenting and it is time I added some garlic to mine :)

Tami April 12, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Very yummy Sam. I can’t wait to give your recipe a bash. Seems simple enough and, since shop bought mayo is ridiculously expensive anyway, it is a great incentive to make my own ;o)

Zirkie April 12, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I love homemade mayonnaise! You pics are beautiful, as always!

Sam April 12, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Thanks Tami, yes so easy, just add the oil slowly

Sam April 12, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Thanks Zirkie :-)

Sam April 12, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Yip – very do-able. Let me know how it goes.

Vicky April 12, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I’ve always wanted to try making my own mayonnaise! Think this would work without the red wine vinegar?

Sam April 12, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Hi Vicky, it does need some acidity, but make it and see and add in. You could also use lemon juice.

Jessica April 13, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I made this last night, after an initial hiccup (which involved me being too impatient), which I luckily fixed, the mayonnaise came out wonderful! I’ve been eating it with everything :P
Thanks for a great recipe :)

Gail Hooper April 14, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Samimantha I cant wait to try the mayo, and some of the ideas posted, fany the chips and mayo, same as in Holland. Will let you know after I try the recipe hopefully next week. Big hugs and love to you.

Sam April 15, 2012 at 4:45 pm

HI Gail, divine! please let me know how it goes. S xx

Sam April 15, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Yay Jessica. I’m actually eating some now as I type – with pommes frites!

Magic of Spice April 15, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I have not done this in such a long time. Great recipe…looks perfect!

live life May 9, 2012 at 8:45 pm

i will also be trying this for sure, anything with garlic catches my eye! curious tho, does anyone know how much the flavor would be affected by olive oil? or even & especially grapeseed oil?

Sam May 11, 2012 at 10:23 am

Hi, Using only olive oil makes the taste extremely strong and over powering which is why it is better for mayonnaise to use canola or sunflower oil – You could do half and half as I did for my aioli, but it really is a matter of preference.

Shelbelle July 27, 2012 at 5:41 pm

How long does this last before going bad?

wendy July 27, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Can someone tell me how long this will keep refrigerated? Would love to try but we don’t eat mayo every day and I need to know refrig/shelf life. Thanks!

Sam July 29, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Hi Wendy, I have read that you should not keep it beyond 2 weeks – but I most certainly have (up to a month), but I am not one of those extra-cautious types. Essentially you are using raw egg, but there is lemon juice and oil to preserve. Keep it refrigerated and use the very freshness and best eggs yo can. As a result this is one of those items you need to make for a purpose and give the rest away.

Diane December 21, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Can’t wait to try it! Thank you for the recipe. Your blog is beautiful!

Sam December 23, 2012 at 8:34 am

Thank you Diane, and its a pleasure :-)

georgie sikora January 23, 2013 at 7:37 am

I just made half of this recipe but it came out running and does not look a thing like the picture! It looks like a thin yellow oily sauce…nothing like mayo :( not sure how to fix it…add another egg yoke? I did not half the lemon juice hmmm bummer!

georgie sikora January 23, 2013 at 7:49 pm

I used half EVO and half canola oil one cup total I would like to salvage this if possible…what a waste of good olive oil
it is in my fridg after I made it last night….what could have went wrong? I use 1 T of lemon juice instead of half a Tablespoon but don’t think that would completely ruin it???? Sam do you have any ideas???
thanks, Georgie

Sam January 23, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Hi Georgie, I find it much easier to make mayo with 2 eggs vs 1, unless you are making it by hand. It’s all about the egg yolk (protein) emulsifying with the fat. If you have a hand blender, start again with one more egg yolk and slowly add your split mix until it emulsifiers. It should come back together. You should, if you blend correctly,be able make a vast amount of mayo off one egg (according to Heston Blumenthal). Emulsions can be tricky, I always find it easier to use 2 eggs for the. Thanks Sam

georgie sikora January 24, 2013 at 1:00 am

I did I did! I added another egg yoke! I did this all in my vitamix and it is oily and thin. I do have a stick blender I could try using but does the ingredients need to be room temp?

Sam January 24, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Hi Georgie my eggs are always at room temp as I bake a lot, but Im not sure this is important. The main thing is to add the oil extremely slowly and as it emulsifies with the eggs, bit by bit. I don’t know what a vitamix. Im sorry but unless Im in your kitchen I cant really tell what went wrong. It should work with olive oil and canola, although I don’t like olive oil in mayo as it can be quite bitter. I have made mayonnaise dozens of times (as have many others) with this recipe, it is a pretty standard mayo recipe, and the ratios are spot on. Emulsions are difficult and I have failed at them in the past. I find this recipe to be foolproof for me.

georgie sikora January 24, 2013 at 9:00 pm

thanks for the reply and I tried it again with a bit more luck, Still not as fluffy but much better this time around. The bad thing is you are right about the bitterness with EVO…yuck! I want to buy a light version of EVO and give that a try. I am determined to get this right!!!! Thanks for your help!

Nicole January 25, 2013 at 7:40 am

How long does this homemade mayo last in the refrigerator?

Sam January 25, 2013 at 10:30 am

HI Nicole, as long as eggs can last. I have kept mine for over a month, although people say to be safe 1 – 2 weeks.

Tracy January 30, 2013 at 2:29 am

Your recipe looks great..I love mayo. I got rid of my cuisinart years ago @ a garage sale..didn’t use it much. Can I use my kitchen aid mixer and get the same results ?

Sam January 30, 2013 at 7:15 am

HI Tracy, I haven’t made it in a large mixer before, I use my Cuisinart, but I have made it using a small hand held mixer.. I am sure it will be fine if you use the full recipe, its all about adding the oil slowly so that it emulsifies.
Good luck

Bridget February 5, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I want mine to last longer than a couple of weeks. Do you think I could just use an egg substitute? Would that make it last longer than regular eggs?

Sam February 6, 2013 at 8:47 am

Hi Bridget, the thing with fresh mayonnaises, or any fresh food in general is that it doesn’t stay fresh forever. I do not know of any egg substitute for mayonnaise and most certainly have not used such a thing. My suggestion is to buy a shop bought good quality mayo which is laden with preservatives and keep this for months.

mary February 12, 2013 at 1:32 am

Just made this and its awesome! Thanks!

Kristin February 26, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Does this taste more like mayo or miracle whip? I’m not a fan of mayo so don’t want to make it only to hate it…thx!

Jen February 27, 2013 at 2:15 am

Hello, I just came across your recipe for homemade mayo. I was excited to try it til I saw that Canola Oil was one of the ingredients. Canola Oil is not the healthy oil we have all been led to believe. It is a heavily refined oil, and, in most cases, Canola Oil is GMO. A healthier alternative would be Coconut Oil. Coconut Oil is chock full of wonderful properties, namely that it’s a medium chain fatty acid. It, also, has natural antibiotic, antiparasitic and antimicrobial properties. Coconut Oil is an all-around phenomenal oil. :)

Sam February 27, 2013 at 8:22 am

Hi Kriston, this tastes like proper mayonnaise and not at all like Miracle Whip which (as much as I like it too) is not real mayonnaise. Miracle whip is an industrial product loaded with preservatives and chemicals.

Sam February 27, 2013 at 8:26 am

Hi Jen, Thank you for your comment. I use a non GMO local sunflower oil to make my mayo. it has a neutral taste which is perfect for it.I like coconut oil and understand its health properties, but don’t think it will work here, from a flavor perspective or from a consistency perspective. Coconut oil at room temperature is solid.
PS – have you made popcorn with coconut oil? and absolute winner>
thanks
sam

N March 5, 2013 at 1:14 am

Just made your mayo recipe! turned out perfect…….though i followed the recipe step by step and it was very tangy/lemony! will be great on my hand cut cole slaw but i think next time i will omit one of the acids for a more mellow taste for sandwiches! thanks for this wonderful addition to my recipe box!

Sam March 5, 2013 at 7:54 am

Hi N, Glad it worked out and thanks for the comment. As I mentioned in the post I have added a lot of flavour and zing, but its all a personal preference. Once you have the base mayo sorted you can just adjust the flavour to your own taste :-)

Chelsy March 14, 2013 at 3:21 am

Alright, so I’ve tried twice now, and both times when I have 1/4 cup oil left it turns runn Up to that point it is thick, then I add a bit more oil, and with in seconds it turns…any suggestions?

Nicole March 23, 2013 at 9:18 am

I used to make mayo way back in the 70’s but found that it went moldy very quickly – had to be used within four days so I gave it up. Most of it got thrown out because it spoiled before I could use it all. Even a single size recipe (1 cup of oil) didn’t last long enough for me to use it all up. Made me realize how loaded store bought was with preservatives.
I always added garlic to mine and used half vinegar and half lemon juice. I like lemon juice and would probably add smoky paprika if I were to make it now.

Nicole March 23, 2013 at 9:23 am

I agree with Jen about canola oil – I used grapeseed oil, but would also use sunflower or peanut oil. I’m thinking of trying it again with some colloidal silver water added – that might help to preserve it a little longer.

Sam March 24, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Sounds lovely Nicole, I have the same issue about the quantities as I live alone. As its relatively inexpensive to make, I think it’s worth it. I make it if I know I am going to make at least one dish with it.

amanda rose March 29, 2013 at 6:44 pm

This look wonderful! Can’t wait to try!

Amanda April 15, 2013 at 1:16 am

I don’t use dijon mustard and I’m not sure if I want to buy a whole jar of it just to add a teaspoon to the recipe…. Will it be okay if I omit the mustard??

Sam April 15, 2013 at 8:18 am

Hi Amanda, any mustard that you like will work. I like ot add some mustard, but it is also fine without.

Theresa April 24, 2013 at 10:00 pm

I would love to make this. How long does it last before going bad?

Sam April 25, 2013 at 10:40 am

Hi Theresa, they recommend a max of 2 – 3 weeks for fresh eggs. I kept it for longer and it was fine, but i like living on the edge :-)

Shan June 1, 2013 at 4:48 am

Girlfriend stay far far away from Canola oil! It is terrible for you!

The Redneck Princess June 16, 2013 at 8:42 am

I am going to try this with grapeseed oil!! Thanks for the recipe :)

sharna June 16, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Thank you so much for sharing. I never want to go back to store bought. I have chickens so this is perfect. The time is worth the wonderful taste.

Peg August 30, 2013 at 12:42 am

Love the mayo recipe…thanks !

Sam August 30, 2013 at 9:38 am

Thanks Peg

Shandra Grace September 18, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Love this recipe, I wanted to make mine more simple, with 1 whole egg and less oil. So I used 1 whole egg + 1 yolk, 1 cup of oil 1 tsp of apple cider ving., and 2 tablespoons lemon juice, it turned out great! Thanks so much for the recipe.

Sam September 19, 2013 at 10:16 am

HI Shandra, glad you were able to adapt it to your preference – sounds great.

valeria January 4, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Hi.. your recipe es very good. I love it!
Greetings from Chile.

Sam January 4, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Thanks valerie :-) – greetings from Cape Town

susan sanborn June 3, 2014 at 2:35 am

I have not bought a jar of mayo since I found this in Pinterest. Which was about 6 months ago. I have a cholesterol issue so I use 1 whole egg and 1 egg white. I skip the sugar and garlic but I had everything else on your list. I use only Canola Oil. It also comes out thick and creamy, but I find it is better to keep the processor going and if it does seem too think, I just add up to another 1/8 cup of oil. It is the BEST, and I am a mayo freak.

Sam June 3, 2014 at 9:33 am

Hi Susan – thanks for hte lovely comment and I am so glad you like the mayo and adapted it to your preference. A splash of warm water also thins it down if you didnt want to add more oil. :-)

{ 2 trackbacks }