a quick and easy boerewors pasta with tomato and basil

This is a very quick and easy pasta supper to knock up if you are in a hurry. The sausage has so much flavour, you don’t need much else.

I love tomato with boerewors. In fact I cant really eat it without some sort of tomato intervention. I love relish or ketchup with it, but my all-time favourite is  fresh tomato. You could use tinned tomatoes in this sauce (just cook it for a bit longer), but I love the quick-cook of cherry tomatoes. Literally flash fried in the pan with the sausage and a splash of tomato passata to make a nice slurpy sauce for the  linguine. The basil adds some nice fragrant freshness.

The boerewors has all the flavour so you need very little seasoning apart from a pinch of chilli (optional), salt and pepper.

This recipe makes 2 very generous portions

• 400gms of your favourite boerewors
  • 2 cups of halved cherry tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup of tomato passata / jarred tomato sauce
  • a fistful of fresh basil leaves – roughly chopped
  • a pinch – 1/2 t of smoked chilli flakes / chilli flakes if you felt like adding some heat
  • Parmesan to serve
  • pasta of your choice (I used about 200 – 250g of linguini)

Slice the sausage up into smallish discs and fry in a non stick pan until the meat starts going brown and is just cooked through. Remove the meat and drain on paper towel as a lot of fat is rendered out. Discard the fat and return the pan to the heat which is now just coated in a thin layer of the leftover fat, and flash cook the tomatoes until heated through. Add the sausage back to the pan with the basil, chilli and passata and heat through. Check seasoning and add salt and pepper.

The whole process takes a matter of minutes, so make sure you start cooking your pasta before.

Serve with pasta and a grating of fresh Parmesan cheese.

Slurp, slurp.

* if you are reading this post and don’t live in South Africa, boerewors is a traditional South African spicy sausage made from beef that would typically be cooked on a barbecue. The main spice in this sausage is coriander. You could substitute with another spicy sausage, or a mix of a beef and pork sausage.

, , , , , ,

17 Responses to a quick and easy boerewors pasta with tomato and basil

1. Salomé June 17, 2012 at 3:42 pm #

And yet another to my must-make-list! Yum.

2. Caylee June 17, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

I am in awe of every single one of your posts.

3. Sam June 17, 2012 at 5:31 pm #

Aah Caylee, you are far too kind. Thank you hun!

4. Sam June 17, 2012 at 5:32 pm #

Thanks Salome! Enjoy!

5. Aninas Recipes June 18, 2012 at 10:45 am #

I just love this pure South African dish. Boerewors really is such a versatile ingredient, and can be whipped up in a matter of minutes! I had a similar idea with my boerewors recipe, just added basmati rice for an instant flavoursome pilaf. http://www.aninas-recipes.com/index.php/recipes/boerewors-and-tomato-pilau/ – AND awesome pics by the way!!

6. Sam June 18, 2012 at 12:51 pm #

Looks so interesting Anina!

7. Lisa Cunningham June 18, 2012 at 5:25 pm #

Wow would never have thought of a boerewors/pasta combo, but this recipe is as delightful as your photographs, thanks Sam.

8. Sam June 18, 2012 at 5:33 pm #

Thanks Lisa, I like that the sausage has already got all the flavour in it, so makes for a very quick supper. I think it will work nicely with pork and beef sausages too.

9. Tami June 20, 2012 at 9:57 am #

What a great time-saving dish. Hearty enough to look and taste like you’ve been slaving for hours but a really easy meal after a long hard day at the office xx

10. Sam June 20, 2012 at 10:01 am #

HI Tami, yes I guess it is a bit of a cheat as all the ‘work’ is in the sausage. :-)

11. Anne McEvedy June 20, 2012 at 10:53 am #

Wow, thank heavens we get boerewors here (Aus) definitely making it this week end. What great recipes Bill

12. Sam June 20, 2012 at 3:42 pm #

Awesome Anne, it truly is a South African gem

13. Kyle November 16, 2015 at 5:46 am #

I do not live in South Africa, but came across this sausage in a local meat shop. I’m about to give this a try. Thanks!

14. Sam November 16, 2015 at 2:10 pm #

Hi Kyle – cool. Let me know if you like it. Sam

1. a quick and easy boerewors pasta with tomato and basil | - June 19, 2012

[…] Recipe on Drizzle and Dip […]

2. Cook This: South African Spaghetti and Meatballs « sixtywinters - July 5, 2012

[…] again, for the full recipe and delicious pictures, see it on Sam’s blog. Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like […]

3. Recipe – Boerewors, tomato and basil pasta | Kwikspar and Tops on Kloof St - October 11, 2013

[…] found the following recipe on Sam Linsell’s blog, Drizzle and Dip. It’s quick, easy and […]