passion fruit meringue pie

passion fruit meringue pie

I decided to give the classic ‘lemon meringue pie’ a repackaging job, deconstruct it a bit, and serve it in individual glasses. I also used granadilla (passion fruit) curd instead of lemon curd which is soft and unctuous, and better suited dolloped into this layered dessert.

This no-bake decadent dessert is very simple to assemble once you have the three components ready. If you are able to buy really good quality ready-made curd, this becomes all the more easy to make.

1. Passion fruit / granadilla curd:

You can find my recipe to make the curd here, or can just as easily make it with lemon curd if you prefer.

2. Biscuit base:

The amount of biscuit crumble you will need will depend on how many desserts you are making and what size your serving glasses are. You can work on a ratio of about 50g of melted butter to 100g (half a packet) of Marie biscuits (tea biscuits). You just want the butter to hold the crushed biscuits together.

Melt the butter in a the microwave briefly and mix with the biscuit crumbs until they start to clump.

3. Italian meringue topping:

As this is a no bake meringue ‘pie’, I opted to use an Italian meringue as the egg white gets partially cooked resulting in lovely firm white peaks. Perfect for this dessert.

• 2 egg whites (free-range)
  • 1 cup sugar (200g)
  • 1/4 cup water (4T)
  • 1t vanilla extract

Using an electric mixer beat the egg whites until stiff peaks. In a small pot heat the water and the sugar and bring it to the boil. When the sugar has dissolved, boil this for about 5 minutes until a thick syrup forms. Brush the sides of the inside of the pot down with a pastry brush and a little water if crystals form. With the beater running, pour the hot sugar syrup into the beaten egg white very slowly in a thin stream. Continue to mix until you have a firm meringue texture. Stir through the vanilla extract.

To assemble the dessert, add enough biscuit crumb mix to cover the base of your glass. Press down using the back of a muddle or any flat kitchen utensil.

Carefully spoon in the layer of chilled granadilla or lemon curd.

Decant the meringue into a piping bag with a smooth nozzle and pipe a swirl on top. I ran my blow torch lightly over the top to give it a lovely golden caremlised touch.

This is a very decadent dessert, so my suggestion would be to make fairly small servings. This can also be made in advance and stored in the fridge. I quite like  it served at room temperature.

passion fruit meringue pie

passion fruit meringue pie

passion fruit meringue pie

, , , ,

20 Responses to passion fruit meringue pie

1. Aninas Recipes August 16, 2012 at 10:24 am #

Believe me, I owned a very busy Home Industry on the East Rand, and boy did I get bored by Lemon Meringue Pies! I used to make 8 or more tarts every single morning! Shoe! I love the new version! This recipe I would love to try! So easy yet so dignified. Love it, love it,love it!

2. Kitchenboy in Taiwan August 16, 2012 at 10:30 am #

It looks delicious and so beautiful for when one is entertaining. Love it!

3. Lisa Cunningham August 16, 2012 at 11:34 am #

Can’t wait to try this recipe, each one looks almost too good to eat.
    I received a copy of your beautiful book from a friend for my birthday yesterday. She knows how much I love your blog and was waiting for your book to arrive on the shelves. I sat browsing through it this morning and can’t wait to try out your delectable recipes. Congratulations on your new book!

4. suzanne Perazzini August 16, 2012 at 12:32 pm #

I love your photos. I have a jar of lemon curd in the fridge and this is super easy. I don’t have a blow torch but I guess I can pop it under the grill even if it is no-bake.

5. Anne August 16, 2012 at 12:48 pm #

Looks so delicious…will definitely make it! Just love your recipes and your red velvet cupcakes are a big hit with my family and friends. Had tried out several recipes and wasn’t happy with any of them and then gave your’s a try and certainly hit the jackpot this time. Really thrilled so they are certainly the “flavour of the moment” in my home!

6. Sam August 16, 2012 at 5:22 pm #

Thanks Anne, glad you like.

7. Sam August 16, 2012 at 5:23 pm #

That will be fabulous Suzanne.

8. Sam August 16, 2012 at 8:49 pm #

Thank you Lisa, I hope you enjoy it.
    Sam x

9. Sam August 16, 2012 at 8:50 pm #

Thanks Kboy :-)

10. Sam August 16, 2012 at 8:51 pm #

Hi Anina, look forward to hearing all about your home-baked business one day.

11. Kankana August 17, 2012 at 7:39 am #

I have always enjoyed individual mini treats and I am loving your version of the pie :)

12. Jules August 17, 2012 at 7:22 pm #

I adore Lemon meringue pie and have tried it with oranges, but not passion fruit. This receipe looks divine!

13. Denise August 17, 2012 at 9:58 pm #

Gorgeous! And I just know it will that aboslutely delicious too, it’s bookmarked for sure!

14. Sam August 18, 2012 at 8:51 am #

Thanks Denise :-)

15. Sam August 18, 2012 at 8:51 am #

Thanks Jules

16. Marie June 18, 2014 at 2:53 pm #

Made the custard with half passion-fruit half orange juice and it was great! Replaced the biscuit with caramelized pecans and topped the custard with an orange-chocolate ganache :) Thanks for the inspiration !!

1. passion fruit meringue pies. | Cooking Pics - August 17, 2012

[…] passion fruit meringue pies. /* […]

2. Passion Fruit Meringue Pie Recipe by Drizzle and Drip | The Daily Quirk - February 20, 2013

[…] don’t know what I liked more about this Passion Fruit Meringue Pie Recipe from Sam at Drizzle and Drip, the fact that it’s a new twist on a classic recipe or the […]

3. Tartes Merengadas de Framboesa e Chocolate - Top Receitas - March 18, 2014

[…] Tartes Merengadas de Framboesa e Chocolate(inspiradas no blog Drizzle and Dip) […]

4. Mini Passion Fruit Meringue Pie | Little Lost Cook - October 18, 2014

[…] handle milk products very well. So I started looking  and looking, and then I found these delicious miniature  passion fruit meringue pies. They are really easy to portion and they taste really fancy like something you can only find in […]