crispy kale chips with parmesan

Recipes for oven baked kale chips have been swarming around the internet for a while but it was not until I put one in my mouth at the Eat In awards could I comprehend what the all the fuss was.

They are crunchy, tasty and literally dissipate in your mouth.

Given how easy they are to make, I figure this has to be the quickest and most effective way to eat a bunch of kale in one go.

The recipes are all pretty similar, but I decided to add Parmesan for flavour and used a Parmesan infused olive oil.

What you will need to make one medium-ish size bowl of chips:

• 1 bunch of fresh kale (veins removed)
  • 1 T olive oil or Parmesan in fused olive oil
  • 1 t sea salt flakes
  • about 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan or however much you like

Pre heat the oven to 150C (300 F).Wash the kale well and ensure the leaves are very dry. Cut out the thick inner vein and tear off leaves large enough to make a chip. They will shrink by roughly half.

Place the torn leaves in a large plastic bag and add the oil and salt and rub to coat as much of the leaves as possible.

Scatter the leaves in a single layer on a large baking try lined with baking paper of silicone baking sheets *. Grate Parmesan cheese over the leaves and bake for 15 minutes and until they just starting to brown. I then turned the oven off, opened the door and kept it slightly ajar with a tea towel. I left the leaves to dry out for about 10 more minutes.

I could have added more Parmesan and maybe a herbed salt. I am also keen to experiment with coating the leaves in cashew or macadamia nut paste.

* If you are not already using or are unaware of silicone baking paper, it is one of my favourite things. You can cut the sheets to fit your pans and use for both savoury of sweet cooking / baking. You simply wash, dry and re-use.

11 Responses to crispy kale chips with parmesan

1. Alli Ramsay September 6, 2012 at 8:27 pm #

Sam, I love this and have been hoping a South African would come out with a recipe! Where did you buy the kale?

2. Sam September 7, 2012 at 1:24 pm #

Thanks Ali, I bought my kale at the Neighbourgoods Market at the Biscuit Mill. It isnt always easy to find. I have also see it A Food Lovers Market in Tokai and various other markets.

3. frank January 7, 2013 at 1:26 pm #

Hi Guys!
    I’m desperately looking for a place selling Kale vegetables in Easter cape or Port Elizabeth. Please help!

4. Sam January 7, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

HI Frank, I wouldn’t know, I live in Cape Town

5. Cheryl March 5, 2013 at 2:44 am #

Kale is a very easy vegetable to grow. It just needs sunshine and water.

6. Nwabisa March 13, 2013 at 12:28 pm #

Hi Sam

I live in Durban and I desperately need to find Kale, but can’t find it. I saw a “fancy lettuce” at Food lovers market and I thought that it’s the same, is it?

7. Sam March 14, 2013 at 9:09 am #

Hi, No this will not work instead of kale. You will need to find kale.

8. Ingrid Wilson September 16, 2014 at 10:22 pm #

These are so moreish! Once you start eating them you can’t stop, and they’re healthy! I first tried them in Sydney with smoked paprika, salt and olive oil, but Parmesan sounds good, and perhaps garlic salt? I have found kale in our local Pickn’Pay (Knysna).

9. Farida Khan July 10, 2015 at 6:06 am #

Hi Sam. Where can I find this silicone sheet. Please let me know. I’m in Durban. Thank you

10. Sam July 10, 2015 at 12:58 pm #

HI Farida – you should be able to find them in any baking shop. I cant remember where I bought mine but shops in Cape Town like Banks have them. Not sure if you have a Banks in Durban

1. Kale 'Caesars salad' with roast chicken | Drizzle and Dip - September 22, 2015

[…] I had sourced kale years ago at a speciality green grocer to make the highly controversial kale chips (I added Parmesan cheese and I loved them by the way), it is only recently that you could find […]