3 ingredient chocolate mousse in 5 minutes

by Sam on September 21, 2012

I have had this recipe at the back of my mind since first pinning it onto my ‘recipes I like‘ board on Pinterest a few months ago. It claims to be ‘the best chocolate mousse of your life in under 5 minutes so I immediately knew I would have to try it. Apart from water (which cannot be considered an ingredient), the original recipe has only sugar and chocolate in it.

To make something delicious out of only 2 ingredients is a pretty challenging feat.

With this, it’s all about the method, so last week I got my molecular gastronomy on and gave this recipe a whirl.

I followed it down to the exact ingredient, including the Valrhona Guanaja which I happened to both love and have on hand. At the end I added a good glug (about 30ml) of brandy, because I felt it needed it, but you cold leave this out.

Recipe by Herve This & Heston Blumenthal

3 ingredient chocolate mousse in 5 minutes

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 15 minutes

Serving Size: 4-6

3 ingredient chocolate mousse in 5 minutes

Ingredients

• 265g (9.35 ounces) bittersweet 70% chocolate, chopped
  • just less than 1 cup (240 ml) water
  • 4 T sugar
  • 2T of brandy or any other liqueur of your choice (optional)

Instructions

1. Melt the chocolate, sugar and water together in a double boiler or a bowl placed over a pot of boiling water.
  2. Fill a large bowl with ice cubes and then place another, smaller bowl on top of this and keep to one side.
  3. When the chocolate has melted, empty this into the bowl standing on top of the ice (I simply placed the bowl I had melted the chocolate in directly onto the ice).
  4. Using an electric hand-held mixer, start beating the mixture until it thickens. As it cools it starts to thicken. This takes about 3 - 5 minutes, so be patient.
  5. Once it starts to thicken it very quickly goes very hard, so I suggest spooning it into your serving dishes while it is still fairly soft. If you find the chocolate is grainy, you can heat it over the double bowler again and repeat the process until it is the texture that you like. I added the brandy towards the end of the mixing.
  6. It can be served immediately.

*Verdict:

I thoroughly enjoyed the process of making this interesting recipe, and the flavour of the chocolate is lovely and intense. I did however miss the creamy mouth feel of a chocolate mousse made with cream, butter and eggs, so for me this is not the best recipe ever. If I ever made it again, I would experiment with folding whipped cream in to the mix as the chocolate starts to thicken, and consider including chopped preserved oranges, orange zest or ginger to add flavour.

* This recipe was featured on the Huffington Post – Dark chocolate recipes

Gina September 21, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Oh my God! This dessert is so simple and delicious that I can only eat everything.
Gina

Bhavna September 23, 2012 at 4:05 am

Wow how lovely does this Dessert look. And so so easy.

Alex September 23, 2012 at 11:05 pm

One of my favourite things to do is take a chocolate mousse bowl, pour some whiskey or brandy and mix it all with a spoon and immediately eat it. Scrumptuous.

Sam September 24, 2012 at 9:22 am

Oh Alex you and I sound the same, I feel brandy or whiskey is essential in the mix :-)

Tami September 24, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Mmmm…interesting recipe. I can imagine it won’t really qualify as chocolate mousse as it is missing the eggs and cream. Pinterest has some great concepts when it comes to recipes but when you filter out the ones that are made with the USA’s vast array of box mixes you are left with very little really. Thanks for sharing. I appreciate that you posted it even though it didn’t satisfy and added some very useful tips ;) xx

Mel September 25, 2012 at 6:54 am

Oh, this looks absolutely my kind of dessert.

Sam September 25, 2012 at 8:41 am

Hi Tami, this is very much a mousse but I found I was missing the creamy mouth feel of the cream and eggs (and butter). but it is very chocolaty an certainly an interesting method. I’m glad I tried it as Hestons”s dry ice cream (with no eggs) is the best I’ve ever eaten. Sometimes the method can deliver a better product.

Flee September 25, 2012 at 11:16 am

This sounds divine thanks, and a Mousse for Veggies, perfect… Maybe replace the brandy with an Orange liqueur? Nummies

Sam September 25, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Hi Flee, yes orange liqueur would be delish.

Steph September 25, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Would it still work the same if you replace the water with cream? or even half water half cream…. or add the cream in while whipping it on the ice? Im very interested to know id love to try this or take it to a family gathering and share it!

Sam September 26, 2012 at 7:54 am

Hi Steph, I’m really not sure about adding cream at the beginning or to replace water as I have not tried it. I suspect the fat content would interfere with this. My thinking would be to stir some in towards the end of the whipping, or granish with a good dollop on top. Please let me know if you try it as part of the mix.

Zirkie September 27, 2012 at 10:06 pm

The pics and styling is beautiful, as always, Sam!!

Kaitlin October 6, 2012 at 5:42 pm

It didn’t harden and I beat for like 10 minutes :(

Sam October 7, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Hi Kaitlin, I’m really not sure why that happened. Did you have it on ice? I followed the source recipe to a T and it worked out.

Luisa November 9, 2012 at 4:59 am

I made this a few times over the past week and it got rave reviews each time. One person even offered to pay me to make it for her for her dinner party :) Thanks for the recipe!

All that glisters May 13, 2013 at 5:05 pm

These look delicious! So easy too, I absolutely love dark chocolate!
From Emily x
Ps. I really like your blog but I was just wondering if you have bloglovin? I just joined http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/6066941