easy roasted cabbage with crispy bacon

I spotted this recipe on Pinterest a little while back and immediately saved it to myRecipe I like board as you do. What I found the most appealing about it was the method. The wedges of cabbage are simply seasoned, wrapped in foil and baked.

I also picked up a few gorgeous and very inexpensive baby cabbages at Food Lovers Market and thought their size was more appropriate to make this recipe.

I made the dish (more or less) that was posted on Pinterest, but found it a bit lemony, so I tweaked things. I also experimented with a few other sauces which was an interesting process.

I loved them baked with this fabulous miso dressing for an Asian twist, and I also tried them using Quality Pickles Dhanya chutney. If you havent tried it yet, and live in South Africa, you need to hunt this delectable sauce down.

So many flavour ideas pop into my mind when I think of baking cabbage, but for this recipe I added the following to each 1/4 wedge of baby cabbage: (adapt according to the size of the cabbage you use)

• a few drops of olive oil
  • about 1 T crispy fried bacon bits (about 1 rasher per wedge)
  • a few drops of lemon juice
  • a few drips of Worcestershire sauce
  • a couple of drops of soy
  • salt and pepper

Cut the cabbages in to 4 wedges length ways  fold a large enough piece of foil around them to make open parcels to capture the bits. Add all the above bits – or any sauce or seasoning of your choice – and wrap up tightly. Bake in a pre-heated oven of 180 C / 350F for about 30 minutes.

What I love is the slightly crunchy texture that the cabbage retains through this method and the masses of flavour you can add. It’s also a seriously simple cooking method that does all the work on its own.

, ,

23 Responses to easy roasted cabbage with crispy bacon

1. Ale October 19, 2012 at 1:30 pm #

That is yummy! I love cabbage. For a ukranian twist, I’ll be adding a dollop of sour cream on top!

2. Gina October 19, 2012 at 8:05 pm #

Hello my friend!
    What a super simple and delicious way to make the cabbage. I really liked and I do too. Good explanation in pictures
    Gina xoxo

3. Sam October 20, 2012 at 8:32 am #

Thanks Gina x

4. Candice October 20, 2012 at 11:53 am #

Hi Sam! I just found your blog by looking up a recipe for ‘Crunchies’. I guess only South Africans call it that! I’m so excited to have found a new South African blog (I don’t know too many…) Thanks for the recipe!

5. Janet October 22, 2012 at 12:27 pm #

Delicious! My husband sprinkles mushroom soup powder over them before cooking. Also gives a nice twist!

6. Sam October 22, 2012 at 12:48 pm #

Hi Janet, I can see how mushroom flavours could work with cabbage, bringing in some nice umami-ness.

7. Sandra Steyn October 26, 2012 at 12:15 am #

So excited to find your website.

8. Erica November 19, 2012 at 9:13 pm #

I love your blog! I like your photographys and recipes! I will stay around.

9. Sam November 20, 2012 at 10:59 am #

Thanks Erica for the kind words :-)

10. Kathy January 23, 2015 at 6:25 am #

Love these recipes!

11. Lydia March 16, 2015 at 12:05 am #

No way to print your recipes!!??? What’s the point of even posting it on pinterest??

12. Sam March 16, 2015 at 7:01 am #

Hi Lydia – sorry my recipe display doesnt suit you. There is always copy and paste into a word doc.

13. Linda March 17, 2015 at 7:38 pm #

You can print the recipe just by copying and printing in word. Very simple can even print the picture if you want.

14. Ashley April 1, 2015 at 3:24 am #

Does this re-heat well?

15. Sam April 1, 2015 at 9:04 am #

Hi Ashley, yes it does, but will be softer.

16. Molly July 21, 2015 at 5:07 am #

Made these delicious little packs on the grill. So easy & wonderful flavor. Thank you!

17. Megamindy July 21, 2015 at 7:11 am #

Hello, I am a Belgian foodlover. Your recipes are awesome and the pictures really amazing and colorfull. Could you do this on the barbecue to? I would put it first in the oven and warm it later on on the barbecue. Thanks a lot for sharing your delicious food! Grtz

18. Sam July 21, 2015 at 9:31 am #

Hi, Yes in fact I just received another comment that Molly made these on the grill successfully.

19. megamindy July 21, 2015 at 5:09 pm #

Thank you Sam. I will try this forsure. Have a lovely sunday!

1. Winter Share Week 3; October 25, 2012 « Turnip Rock Farm – Community Supported Agriculture - October 25, 2012

[…] quite excited to share a super easy and yummy way to cook cabbage!  I know that cabbage is a challenging vegetable for many, but it’s actually very versatile. […]

2. braised cabbage salad with honey balsamic vinegar, honey and cumin | Drizzle and Dip - January 28, 2013

[…] I recently roasted wedges of with crispy bacon and a variety of flavourings and totally loved this too. […]

3. i have some fun with red cabbage | - January 28, 2013

[…] I recently roasted wedges of with crispy bacon and a variety of flavourings and totally loved this too. […]

4. Miss bacon? Here's a few healthy bacon recipes for your diet - September 12, 2014

[…] Easy Roasted Cabbage with Crispy Bacon […]