oven roasted peri-peri prawns

by Sam on January 25, 2013

oven roasted peri peri prawns

This was just the quickest meal I knocked together when I had my Big Green Egg all fired up recently. I had undertaken the mammoth task of defrosting my chest freezer, and discovered a box of fabulous Tiger prawns that needed to be consumed immediately.

I simply thawed them in cold water and then doused them generously in peri-peri sauce.

Anyone that grew up in the Southern suburbs of Cape Town or who went to UCT, will be aware of the legendary take-away ‘Chippies’ in Mowbray. It was always a little too dodgy looking for me, and far too much grease involved in the food, but Chippies was the place people went to when drunk in the early hours of the morning to get a bag of hot chips or a prego roll. It was also the only place open that late at night back in the day.

They have been selling their famous prego sauce from their shop for years, and I recently stumbled across it in Food Lovers Market, where it is now branded and bottled and easily available to keep on hand.

chippies prego sauce

Its laced with garlic, you literally see mounds of slices in the sauce, and I erroneously picked up the ‘hot’ variant – which was a tad too spicy for my taste. I am more medium-mild.

Anyway, since I cooked the prawns with skin on, a lot of the sauce came off.

There are numerous other bottled peri – peri sauce brands that I enjoy, including Ruys (but I only seem to find this when I am in Joburg), Nando’s, Afrique and I recently tried the Woolies peri peri basting sauce which was rather delicious.

Simply heat your oven or Big Green Egg to 180 – 200 C. Place the prawns which you can marinate for anywhere from half an hour – three hours, in a roasting dish and cook for around 10 minutes, or until they have changed to pink. I turned them half way through the cooking process, re-basting them at the same time.

I scattered over lots of salt and squeezed over loads of fresh lemon juice.

Prawns like this are best eaten with your hands, served with chips or rice and an ice-cold beer on the side.

My very quick chicken breasts with peri peri and lemon is another standard week-night meal I cook often. Maximum flavour delivered in the quickest amount of time.

peri peri prawns cooking in the Big Green Egg

While I was at it and to take full advantage of my hot fire, I thought I’d make a jar of grilled peppers to keep in the fridge. The delicious strips are fantastic in salads, on sandwiches, on pizza and in pasta sauce.

I simply place the whole red and yellow peppers on the hot grill and turned them as they started to char. make sure you try and cook as mush of the surface area of the pepper as possible.

When done remove and place them in a large ziploc bag which will immediately steam up. This condensation will create moisture which males the peppers easy to peel.

As soon as the peppers are cool enough to peel, rub off the charred out skin, cut and them into strips discarding the inner seedy bits and stem.

Layer these strip in a sterilised jar, add fresh basil leaves and slices of garlic (optional) and fill the jar with olive oil.

grilled peppers

grilled peppers

grilled peppers

I look forward to connecting with you again

I can also be found enthusiastically pinning beautiful food images on Pinterest

Yvonne MABBETT January 25, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I have never heard of a `Big Green Egg`?!! Is it the same as a Weber?

Kristy January 25, 2013 at 6:19 pm

I must say that I never went to Chippies (actually I’m not sure if I have heard of it), any who I am intrigued, I must get some of their Prego sauce (mild of course, not a fan of hot either), I feel like I’ve missed out on something ;-).
p.s. those peppers look divine!

Sam January 25, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Thanks Kristy, a friend reckons the Chippies sauce with steak is divine too, so I’m keen to marinate steaks in that and slap that over the grill soon.

Jessica January 26, 2013 at 3:23 am

These prawns look amazing, I would love to make this recipe. Your photos are phenomenal!

Schweet Life January 26, 2013 at 4:15 am

Ahhh spicy shrimp…love at first click. This would be a great recipe for the summer.

Elmarie January 26, 2013 at 4:05 pm

I love them peppers!

suzanne Perazzini January 28, 2013 at 12:44 am

I love the look of those prawns cooked like that but what really caught my eye was you bottling the peppers just the way I love them. I really must try them myself instead of buying them ready made. But they are so expensive here that I don’t know if there would be any cost difference. But I would get the saitisfaction.

Sam January 28, 2013 at 6:29 am

Peppers (both fresh and jarred) are also very expensive in SA, but I guess cheaper to make ones own for sure.

Flee January 29, 2013 at 2:08 pm

HHHmmm, …. My food never looks this good! (hands on hips … stamping feet)…. The Man would love these prawns, and can do them outside, thanks will give them a bash.

Sam January 29, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Hi Flee :-)

Flee January 29, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Hey there Sam.. Im still sulking, but looking out for a chilli sce while I do it LOL

Cindy February 22, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Hi Yvonne,
Delighted that Sam introduced you to the Big Green Egg! It’s The Ultimate Cooking Experience and we invite you to visit our website http://www.biggreenegg.co.za. Sam, hope you’re enjoying your EGG still!

Sam February 22, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Hi Cindy, I am indeed very much so and working on a pizza recipe for my next BGE feature.

meatballs & milkshakes March 15, 2013 at 7:46 pm

These look incredible, I love shell-on shrimp!

roger January 28, 2014 at 5:17 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I find Ruys sauces at the Spar in Rosmead Ave (Cape Town) so I’m sure other Spars would have them too. Chippies now also makes a hot Peri-Peri sauce which I got from their take-away in Rondebosch. Only discovered your blog today (while googling for Ruys sauces nogal) but will be sure to visit often.

Sam January 29, 2014 at 8:23 am

Hi Roger – thank you for this feedback this is great news I will most defs pop past Rosemead Spar. Still have not seen it anywhere in CT. Rosemead really is a treasure trove of a shop isn’t it?. I live in Sea POint so don’t get there much.

{ 2 trackbacks }