apple and cinnamon muffins with a hint of orange

apple and cinnamon muffins with a hint of orange

This week I was working on an apple TV shoot and I needed to make a variety of recipes which included apples. So thinking I would kill to birds with one stone so to speak, and to expand on my somewhat limited collection of muffin recipes on this blog, I decided to play around and do an apple and cinnamon one.

Its a classic combination of flavours that works so well and perfect for a breakfast, brunch or with an afternoon cup of tea. I added a hint of orange zest to liven it up.

apple and cinnamon muffins with a hint of orange

apple and cinnamon muffins with a hint of orange

These are quick and easy to whip up and are light and fluffy. I used Tru Cape red Cripps apples (or Pink Lady’s) – they are the right amount of tart and sweet for baking.

My lucky neighbours were the recipients of most of these and told me today that these are the best muffins they have tasted (I think they are easy to please).

Recipe | makes 12 large muffins – or 16 smaller ones

• 125g butter / 1 stick (room temperature)
  • 1 cup of light brown sugar
  • zest of an orange
  • 1 t cinnamon
  • 2 free-range eggs (large) – at room temperature
  • 1/2 t vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup milk (125ml)
  • 1 3/4 cup flour (220g)
  • 2t baking powder
  • 1 1/2 cups of apples (peeled and cored) cut into small dice
  • 1/2 cup of grated apple with the juice squeezed out

Pre-heat your oven to 180C and line one or 1 12 muffin baking pan with paper liners.

Using an electric mixer beat the butter, orange zest and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time ensuring that they are well mixed before adding the next one. Beat further until fluffy. Add the cinnamon. In a separate bowl, sift the flower with the baking powder (I very often sift it twice). Add half the milk to the mix and half the flour and briefly mix until combined. Add the remaining milk and flour and mix. Do not over mix. By hand stir the fruit through the mix. Using an ice cream scoop to ensure uniform quantities, scoop out a dollop into each muffin case. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes and until they are well risen, golden brown and springy to the touch.

apple and cinnamon muffins with a hint of orange

apple and cinnamon muffins with a hint of orange

apple and cinnamon muffins with a hint of orange

, , , , ,

12 Responses to apple and cinnamon muffins with a hint of orange

1. Delores March 13, 2013 at 5:23 pm #

Where is the cinnamon?? I don’t see it listed……

2. Laura (Tutti Dolci) March 13, 2013 at 6:47 pm #

Beautiful muffins, I love the flavors!

3. Lisa Cunningham March 13, 2013 at 8:50 pm #

Can’t wait to try this delicious recipe Sam (I don’t see a measurement for the cinnamon, not sure if i am not reading it correctly)
    I have now made your Banana bread with cranberries and walnuts numerous times and it is the best banana bread I have ever tasted so thanks again for such wonderful and creative recipes.

4. Carolie de Koster March 13, 2013 at 9:53 pm #

Good morning Sam!

These look just so good – will make them today here in Auckland!

We are still making good progress with Mr Apple – a lot of correspondence going on! I will let you know as soon as we get a final answer. Their main concern now is what they will get out of or achieve with such a publication – so I did send the You-tube link of Tru-cape to her as well which could be very valuable.

Kind regards

Carolie

Carolie

5. Suzanne Perazzini March 14, 2013 at 4:43 am #

Apples in muffins make them so moist and delicious. Bananas do the same thing.

6. Sam March 14, 2013 at 9:06 am #

Thanks Lisa, that is great. its 1 teaspoon cinnamon. i will go and rectify the recipe. Many thanks

7. Elizabeth March 16, 2013 at 7:45 am #

Hi, can I substitute the butter for unsweetened applesauce?

8. Sam March 16, 2013 at 9:04 am #

Hi Elizabeth, I have no idea as I have not tested / made them with apple sauce :-/

9. Anne @The Cooking Campaign March 16, 2013 at 11:45 pm #

I love a good muffin, and these look wonderful!

10. Taryn Gavin May 26, 2013 at 6:55 pm #

Finally got around to making these today, they are devine! Didn’t have any oranges, so did them without the zest. They are so light and delicious!

11. Sam May 27, 2013 at 9:28 am #

So glad it worked out for you Taryn 🙂

1. Oat & nut apple crumble with cranberries & orange | Drizzle and Dip - May 29, 2013

[…] Apple & cinnamon muffins with a hint of orange: […]