the ultimate chocolate cak

I was thrilled to be asked to contribute to the April edition of Elle Magazine, and as its Easter they wanted a chocolate cake. I simply had to  do the ultimate chocolate cake that I had written about in 2010.

This is what I said about it before: ‘It’s decadent, dark and delicious and may well be the ultimate chocolate cake.  It’s baked slowly on a lower temp to deliver a gooey, dense texture that teeters on the edge of ‘brownies-ness’ sending you straight into chocolate heaven. Don’t expect airy, fairy, light and fluffy, this is a solid cake that will easily bowl anyone over’.

The other thing I simply LOVE about this recipe is that its all made by hand. No electric mixer required. Easy.

Elle chocolate cake featureElle also asked me to shoot a step by step of the making of the cake for their their online magazine, and they have broken the recipe down to match each stage. So do pop over to the site and check it out.

I have to admit that I rarely read fashion magazines. My focus is almost 100% around food, so it was so refreshing to flip through the pages of Elle and pick up so many fabulous tips. I realised once again how much of a non-fashionista I am. I particularly enjoyed their relationship advice, their pick of the best beauty products from the Elle awards, and an article by Bryony Gordon about breaking free from the dieting roller-coaster. Elle has a bit of everything and kept me well entertained on my flight back from Durban yesterday.

It was also wonderful to see my photography of the ultimate chocolate cake on page 144.

The recipe from my original post can be found here.

…and here are all the step by step pics:

, , , , ,

43 Responses to how to make the ultimate chocolate cake

1. nina March 25, 2013 at 11:19 am #

Oh wow, Sam what a beautiful article and what a decadent yummee cake!!
    Well done!

2. Sam March 25, 2013 at 11:24 am #

Thanks Nina x

3. Roxanne March 25, 2013 at 2:21 pm #

Congrats on the feature! That is quite an accomplishment, but then again, you do excellent work so you deserve it.
    I need to go try that recipe really soon because I haven’t been able to bake a great chocolate cake from scratch…will post on my blog: roxychowdown.tumblr.com as soon as I do! You inspire me Sam 🙂

4. Beryl March 25, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

I plan to make this cake for my daughters friends bday which is on Easter Sunday. Covered with a selection of mini choc eggs. Can’t wait!

5. Sam March 25, 2013 at 4:00 pm #

Hi Beryl, how lovely – enjoy and happy Easter.

6. Sam March 25, 2013 at 4:01 pm #

Thanks Roxanne and good luck with the cake 🙂

7. Gina March 25, 2013 at 4:18 pm #

Looks divine & congrats on the feature in Elle! It’s terribly exciting!

8. Sam Taylor March 25, 2013 at 5:02 pm #

Fabulous work as always Sam. The cake looks heavenly.

9. Kankana March 26, 2013 at 12:05 am #

Congrats Sam for the feature and a cake that needs no extra gadget is always a winner in my book!

10. Laura (Tutti Dolci) March 26, 2013 at 1:24 am #

Gorgeous cake, congratulations on the feature! 🙂

11. Margot C March 26, 2013 at 1:50 am #

How marvelous and hoe gorgeous, is there some sort of equivalent to ‘treacle’ sugar taht I can find in Ameria, or can I make it somehow?

12. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com March 26, 2013 at 6:29 am #

I need this cake in my life!! Love the swirls on frosting!

13. Sam March 26, 2013 at 8:49 am #

HI Margot, you can use muscovado sugar or any brown (dark and sticky) sugar in the US. Sorry I am not familiar with the brands. 🙂

14. Sam March 26, 2013 at 8:50 am #

Thanks Laura – doing May and June too which will be fun. Loving it.

15. Sam March 26, 2013 at 8:51 am #

HI Kankana, I agree, as much as I love my mixer there is something wonderful about making a cake entirely by ones own hand. This is more like a brownie cake. Very decadent x

16. Sam March 26, 2013 at 8:51 am #

Thanks Sam 🙂

17. Sam March 26, 2013 at 8:52 am #

Thanks Gina 🙂

18. Carolie de Koster March 26, 2013 at 9:14 pm #

Stunning! Perfect for the coming Easter weekend. Thank you!

19. Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen March 27, 2013 at 10:32 am #

Congratulations on the Elle piece! Your chocolate cake looks absolutely divine! 🙂

20. Sam March 27, 2013 at 10:51 am #

Thanks Rosie 🙂

21. Zirkie March 27, 2013 at 5:22 pm #

O my word, Sam!! This looks utterly delicious. I want to post a chocolate cake recipe tonight but after seeing this I am hesitant! Thanks for the nice comment on my Easter biscuits!

22. Tiffany @thyme of taste March 27, 2013 at 6:39 pm #

Stunning! I love the little swirls in your frosting, and the chocolate looks amazing…(now I need to wipe the drool off my keyboard)!
    Cheers~ Tiffany

23. Sharon @ Bake & Bait March 27, 2013 at 6:45 pm #

Oh my gosh, what a beautiful cake, and such lovely pictures!! I love the swirls in the frosting, makes me want to reach into my screen and grab a handful of the cake. This recipe also reminds me of Pam’s mud cake from cake central, which is absolutely delicious as well. Can’t wait to try this recipe! Yum!

24. Sam March 27, 2013 at 7:07 pm #

Thank Zirkie, the world will be a better place if you post your chocolate cake 🙂

25. Caroline March 27, 2013 at 7:55 pm #

Gorgeous! Your photos AND the cake! This is my first time here…love your site! 🙂

26. Elizabeth @ SugarHero.com March 28, 2013 at 9:44 am #

Congratulations on the feature in Elle! I’m not much for fashion, either, but I would certainly buy more fashion magazines if they had pictures of chocolate cake all the time. This looks absolutely lovely, thanks for sharing!

27. Sam March 28, 2013 at 10:46 am #

Thanks Elizabeth, it was such a novelty for me to read a fashion mag 🙂

28. Sam March 28, 2013 at 10:49 am #

Thanks Caroline, lovely to have you visit and I hope to see you around more often 😉

29. Laurette Marais April 2, 2013 at 10:48 am #

I baked this chocolate cake over the weekend as well as the ultimate chocolate brownie recipe from your website and everyone loved it. A friend of mine wanted to know where I get my recipes from and I told her about your blog as well as the book. She loves the cookbook and took mine so I will have to buy a new one. Again! I think I should get a box of them and hand them out as this is not the first time this has happened. Great book and great blog!

30. Sam April 2, 2013 at 2:54 pm #

Hi Laurette, thank you so much for your wonderful comment it totally made my day :-). Nothing makes me happier than hearing that people enjoy the recipes I put up and especially my book.
    Sam x

31. Adelina April 7, 2013 at 12:18 am #

Hi Sam – Glad to see this was featured on a fashion magazine – well deserved!
    A quick question, if you don’t mind – the chocolate frosting here looks shinier comparing to the one that you posted earlier, on your original post. Can you let me know why? I’m always intrigued with shiny chocolate frosting and love to hear your feedbacks!

Thank you!

32. Sam April 7, 2013 at 3:25 pm #

Hi Adelina, I have made this recipe a few times and sometimes it shinier than at other times. In this instance I took a little food styling liberty and enhanced it a bit for the benefit of the image ;-). generally though, syrup (corn syrup) can make a frosting shinier. It also depends on the fat to sugar ratio.

33. lulu May 27, 2013 at 3:47 pm #

hi, sorry just been looking closely at your pics and the treacle sugar used, is i think the dry brown sugar in 6th pic down? so if its dry not runny its not gonna be black treacle cause thats thick and runny like golden syrup… so is it brown sugar you mean? or muscovado sugar? i know the bbc recipe you adapted this recipe from uses muscovado sugar but is it the same as the dark treacle sugar youve used here? or is dark brown sugar what youve used here?? theyre not the same thing so really need to know which one you mean…. please help!

ive looked on various websites and one website said: ‘Huletts Treacle Sugar is a good substitute for Muscovado Sugar.
    Huletts Treacle sugar (previously known as soft brown sugar) is Huletts SunSweet Sugar (raw sugar) with added caramel and invert syrup.’

so is muscovado sugar best to use or brown sugar? and dark not light? and do i need to add any syrup to make it more like treacle sugar?

34. Sam May 27, 2013 at 4:02 pm #

Hi Lulu, as I have mentioned twice already, this is NOT a syrup but a dark brown sugar. Muscavado sugar is fine and the best replacement for you. It is much the same as treacle sugar.
    As mentioned it will have little effect on your final outcome what kind of sugar you use. Just use a sugar.

35. lulu May 29, 2013 at 6:29 pm #

lol thanks again! im told that a darker brown sugar will give a more caramel taste and as i want this to taste more like choc cake that choc fudge cake think i ll try light brown sugar and see what happens!

a few problems with your list of ingredients: what is cake flour? plain? self raising? also white sugar, caster or granulated? and for the icing did you use milk choc? and cream, single? how thick is the icing? can you use double?

please tell me which you used for the cake in pic. thanks!

promise this is the last i ll bother you! lol thanks again.

36. Sam May 29, 2013 at 8:15 pm #

Hi Lulu, clearly we are totally lost in translation. My advice would be to click away from this recipe and find one of the other million out there on the Internet -freely available – that you might understand better.

If you had clicked through to my original post as I had indicated, you would have seen the recipe.

Cake flour is just that in South Africa. It is all purpose flour. It is not self raising flour. I would have stated if it was self raising flour. In the original post I used self raising. In this recipe I used cake flour and added raising agent. All delivers the same result.

The white sugar is white sugar. It is not caster sugar. If it had been caster sugar I would have specified. As there are also pictures of all the ingredients, I would have thought this is quite obvious. If you use caster sugar instead of granulated sugar it will have little affect on the result. Just Iike whether you use dark brown, or light brown sugar it will have little affect. There is so much chocolate in this recipe it is practically a brownie.

I am sorry that you haven’t grasped the basics of this recipe and my style of writing. As mentioned, simply click away and find a recipe that is better suited to you and one which you like more.

Best

37. lulu May 29, 2013 at 10:08 pm #

perhaps we are lost in translation… however its not the recipe im having trouble with just the inconsistencies with your style of writing…

regards

lulu

38. Irma Calabrese July 4, 2016 at 8:17 pm #

hello i’d like this recipe as a base or my upcoming birthday, i was wondering ,can i use a 20 cm cake tin? or the batter will be too much? i want to slice it in 2 🙂

39. Sam July 6, 2016 at 1:40 pm #

Hi Irma, it will be a bit of a squeeze as it is quite a hefty cake, but you could try.

40. irma July 6, 2016 at 2:44 pm #

Hello Sam thank you for your reply, i think im gonna divide it berween 2 20 cake tins so i will have no problem
    with it 🙂

41. Sam July 6, 2016 at 6:05 pm #

That will work brilliantly. Its a very dense and rich cake. I hope you enjoy!

1. how to make the ultimate chocolate cake | - March 25, 2013

[…] all the step by step pics can be found on Drizzle and Dip […]

2. Afternoon snack – Chocolate cake | Jozi Foodie Fix - May 30, 2014

[…] I have been in a serious baking mood these days and it started with the Baklava, which you can see here. After leafing through the Elle (the South African one) I came across Sam Linsell’s (of Drizzle and Dip) ultimate chocolate cake, you can see it here. […]