a cheats ‘pissaladiere’

a cheats pissaladiere with baguettes

I have fallen totally and utterly in love with Franck Dangereux Pissaldiere since making it in December. Slowly caramelised onions, thyme, olives and anchovies work so beautifully together in this rustic French dish.

I was craving all these flavours as I seem to do so often these days but didn’t have the time to make the dough and let it prove, so I decided to play around with a cheats version and use a baguette.

a cheats pissaladiere with baguette

It worked beautifully.

The recipe was enough to cover 2 smallish baguettes about 25 – 35cm long, so this is perfect for a light lunch or supper for two. You could also cut it into thick slices and serve these as a snack with drinks.

The onions take about half an hour so its worth doubling up the recipe and having leftovers to add to a sandwich afterwards.

a cheats pissaladiere with baguette

For the onions:

• olive oil
  • 3 large white onions peeled and thinly sliced
  • 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
  • 1t fresh thyme leaves
  • 6 fillets of anchovies, chopped, plus 6 whole fillets to garnish
  • a handful of pitted calamata olives to garnish

To make the onion mix – can be made in advance.

Heat a generous amount of olive oil in a medium sized pan and when hot add the onions, garlic and thyme. Reduce the heat and cook slowly for 20 – 25 minutes until the onions are really soft and a light golden colour. Do not let it brown. Add the chopped anchovies, season with a little pepper.

To prepare the baguette:

Slice a third of the top off the baguette off. Having the base a little thicker than half makes this a bit more substantial. Press into the bread with your fingers so as to semi hollow out  that baguette. Divide the onion mix in half and spread it over the 2 baguettes. Lay the 6 anchovy fillets in a criss-cross across the top (* if the fillets are very thick you can cut these in half lengthways and only use 3) and dot the olives along the top.

Bake in a 180 C / 350F oven for 20 – 25 minutes until golden and crunchy.

This is delicious served with a crispy green lettuce.

To see my other onion recipes – take a look at these links:

red wine caramelised onions and goats cheese tartlets

crispy oven roasted onion rings with a jalapeno dip

Creamed onion gratin with blue cheese

easy roasted onions with thyme

a cheats pissaladiere with baguette

a cheats pissaladiere with baguette

, , , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to a cheats ‘pissaladiere’

1. Charlie's Bird April 4, 2013 at 10:21 am #

Wow, that looks gorgeous; can I just say, you have made me rather peckish now!

2. Liz Thomas April 4, 2013 at 11:01 am #

I love pissaladiere — totally addicted to anchovies! This is a great idea.

Thanks!
    Cheers!
    Liz

3. Giordanos April 4, 2013 at 11:44 am #

Love your site, love your photos!!!!!

4. Sam April 4, 2013 at 2:52 pm #

Me too Liz, I can eat half a jar straight in one sitting. This recipe is the ultimate way to get your anchovy fix.

5. Sam April 4, 2013 at 2:52 pm #

Thanks Giordanos 🙂

6. Cynthia Simpson April 4, 2013 at 2:56 pm #

Sounds delicious, definitely trying this on the weekend for starters, thanks!

7. Sam April 4, 2013 at 2:57 pm #

Thanks CB – this is always my intention 🙂

8. Laura (Tutti Dolci) April 4, 2013 at 6:38 pm #

How simple and tasty, perfect for entertaining!

9. Maria@PinkPatisserie April 6, 2013 at 4:02 pm #

I am ashamed to say I’ve never had pissaladiere, but I will rectify that today. Such a beautiful post and blog. Thanks for the inspiration!

10. Sam April 7, 2013 at 3:26 pm #

Thanks Maria, if you are lover of anchovy, caramelised onions and olives, you will not be sorry. This is food of the ‘gods’ as far as I’m concerned.

11. Carole July 19, 2013 at 12:33 am #

Lovely work, Sam! Would you be happy to link it in to the current Food on Friday over at Carole’s Chatter which is creating a collection of recipes using anchovies or sardines? This is the link . I do hope to see you there. Cheers

1. red wine caramelised onions & goats cheese tartlets | Drizzle and Dip - April 14, 2013

[…] A cheats pissaladiere with baguette […]

2. pizza bianco with caramelised onion, blue cheese, figs and balsamic | Drizzle and Dip - May 15, 2013

[…] caramelised the onions exactly like I did for a pissaldiere and just left out the anchovies. Cook the onions slowly until they become gooey, soft and […]