black mushrooms stuffed with goats cheese butter and dill

black mushrooms stuffed with goats cheese butter and dill

I couldn’t resist these mushrooms when I saw them a the Hope Street market recently. The gills were dry and perfectly separated, indicating utter freshness.

I had dill and goats cheese (obviously) – so thought to make a sort of goats cheese butter with them. It needs a bit of fat.

While baking, the mushrooms generate a lovely sauce which is basically pure umami.

These would be fabulous as a side dish served with steak. Slapped between a toasted bun they would make a sensational vegetarian burger. Or just eat them straight up and on their own, making sure you have some bread to soak up the juices.

It really is this simple.

black mushrooms stuffed with goats cheese butter and dill

black mushrooms stuffed with goats cheese butter and dill

black mushrooms stuffed with goats cheese butter and dill

black mushrooms stuffed with goats cheese butter and dill

Recipe for 2 stuffed black mushrooms (serving 1 or 2 depending how greedy you are)

• 2 medium / large black mushroom – wiped clean with a dry or damp cloth (never was)
  • 1/2 a cup of crumbled goats cheese (if your mushrooms are a bit smaller, use 1/3 cup)
  • 2 T softened butter
  • 1 T chopped dill
  • small squeeze of lemon juice
  • black pepper (this does not need salt)
  • a drizzle of olive oil

Blend the goats cheese and butter together with the dill, lemon and black pepper to form a thick paste. Spread this paste evenly into and over the mushrooms. Drizzle the stuffed mushrooms with a few drops of olive oil.

Bake in an oven you have pre heated to 180 C / 350 F – and bake for 25 minutes until the cheese starts turning a little golden.

black mushrooms stuffed with goats cheese butter and dill

I look forward to connecting with you again in the future.

I can also be found enthusiastically pinning beautiful food images on Pinterest.

, , , , , , ,

17 Responses to black mushrooms stuffed with goats cheese butter and dill

1. Laura (Tutti Dolci) May 6, 2013 at 6:11 pm #

I love stuffed mushrooms, a perfect meatless meal!

2. Suzanne Perazzini May 6, 2013 at 11:30 pm #

What massive mushrooms! They look like little pies with that scrummy filling.

3. Eve-Line May 7, 2013 at 2:12 am #

It looks divine! Will definitely try this very soon!

4. Russel Wasserfall May 7, 2013 at 8:36 am #

Who are you, and when were you replaced with this astonishingly gifted photographer? If you want money for Sam’s return, I’ll take up a collection.

5. Lori May 7, 2013 at 9:11 am #

I LOVE baked mushrooms and I often stuff them with cheeses, caramelised onions, pesto… so divine

6. Belinda @themoonblushbaker May 7, 2013 at 6:26 pm #

This is one of fave veggie meals and often order it when i go to veggie establishments. I love this recipe because it looks less oily than the ones in restaurants. Would it be ok if I used some stained firm ricotta to replace the feta? I find it by itself too salty.

7. Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen May 8, 2013 at 1:35 am #

This looks and sounds totally delicious, thanks so much for the recipe idea! I’m totally in awe of your photos too!

8. Sam May 8, 2013 at 1:54 pm #

Thanks Rosie 🙂

9. Sam May 8, 2013 at 1:55 pm #

Hi Belinda, I used goats cheese here as I also find feta too salty for me. I thick ricotta will be lovely, just add more lemon juice and spice as its quite bland. The dill will be nice with it too.

10. Sam May 8, 2013 at 1:57 pm #

Ahhhh Russel, you are far too kind. You have no idea how many questions are coming your way 😉

11. Mushrooms Canada May 9, 2013 at 7:52 pm #

I love the idea of using this recipe as a veggie burger! Such a flavourful use of the meaty Portabella. Thanks for sharing!

-Shannon

12. Sam May 10, 2013 at 10:30 am #

Thanks Mushrooms Canada, Im defs putting it on a toasted bun next 🙂

13. Yolandi North February 14, 2017 at 4:53 am #

I am making these tonight still. Looks sooo yummy. Thanx for sharing. x

1. black mushrooms stuffed with goats cheese butter and dill | - May 6, 2013

[…] on Drizzle and Dip […]

2. Five Good Things: Tuesday | justb. - May 6, 2013

[…] Some mushrooms stuffed with goats cheese? I think that Drizzle and Dip can help you with […]

3. INSPIRING LINKS FOR THE WEEK - Blue Zelia - May 10, 2013

[…] Mushrooms and goat cheese with a little butter for good measure…so delicious. […]

4. Simple vegetable side dishes | Drizzle and Dip - May 13, 2013

[…] black mushrooms stuffed with goats cheese butter and dill […]