pizza bianco with caramelised onion, blue cheese, figs and balsamic

pizza bianco with blue cheese, fig and balsamic

It definitely needs a glass of something to go with it, but the conflicting flavours present a few challenges. I felt compelled to consult with a couple of my wine guru friends on this. Suggestions ranged from a lovely off dry Riesling to a fruit driven unwooded Chenin Blanc, to a Gewurtztraminer. You want a wine that stands up to the sweet and compliments the salty blue cheese.

I like to use a creamy Gorgonzola which is probably my all-time favourite cheese, but a locally made Gorgonzola-style cheese like Simonsig’s Simonzola works beautifully too.

As far as the pizza base is concerned, I’m in the throws of testing a number of dough recipes to come up with the best and easiest one, and this is taking longer than planned. So as a result I have not included a recipe here. You will have to use whatever very thin base pizza recipe you can find, or use a tortilla as I love to do. The toppings are fairly light on this, it cooks really quickly, so a thin base is essential.

I caramelised the onions exactly like I did for a pissaldiere and just left out the anchovies. Cook the onions slowly until they become gooey, soft and sweet.

I spread a very light layer of Mascarpone cheese over the base, added a thin layer of onions, and dotted small chunks of blue cheese in amongst these. I scattered over a few thyme leaves and baked in a hot oven of 200 C for about 5 minutes until everything is bubbling.

Once out, I sliced figs thickly to be placed on top (you will use a bout 2 figs per pizza), and drizzled over a thick and syrupy balsamic reduction.

Delicious.

pizza bianco with blue cheese, fig and balsamic

blue cheese, fig and balsamic

I look forward to connecting with you again in the future.

I can also be found enthusiastically pinning beautiful food images on Pinterest.

, , , , , , ,

24 Responses to pizza bianco with caramelised onion, blue cheese, figs and balsamic

1. Helene D'souza May 15, 2013 at 10:57 am #

A gorgeous flavor combination of caramelized onion, blue cheese figs and balsamic. All this on a pizza, a dream come true for me! =)

2. karien buter May 15, 2013 at 12:03 pm #

Hi Sam…i found a fabulous pizza dough recipe in the guardian on saturday…could email it to you if you fancy trying another…

3. Erika Nienaber May 15, 2013 at 1:12 pm #

Awesome photos Sam!!!

4. michelle deiter May 15, 2013 at 1:54 pm #

I do want to make this, but not with a tortilla.. Karien, I’d love your thin crust recipe… I cannot wait to try and taste this pizza!

5. Sam May 15, 2013 at 2:13 pm #

Hi Karien, yes please, I would love it. thank you – slinsell @ gmail dot come 🙂

6. Sam May 15, 2013 at 2:13 pm #

Thanks Erika, and your cheese would work perfectly here 🙂

7. Sam May 15, 2013 at 2:14 pm #

HI Michelle, I promise that when I have completed my research, I will have an awesome pizza base recipe up.

8. Aninas Recipes May 15, 2013 at 3:21 pm #

Sam, this looks soo amazing. I love the way your pictures just speak about your rustic style and simplicity. Its GORGEOUS. About the recipe… well what can I say. A simple Jummmm would do it don’t you think?

9. Laura (Tutti Dolci) May 16, 2013 at 3:14 am #

Absolutely gorgeous, I’d inhale this pizza!

10. Lisa the Gourmet Wog May 17, 2013 at 12:27 pm #

oh my god, that looks like heaven on a plate!

11. michelle deiter May 28, 2013 at 12:46 am #

Sam, I made this delicious delight !! One of the most flavorful pizzas ever … my dough was not thin, but it was still out of this world ! Thanks!

12. Sam May 28, 2013 at 6:35 pm #

I’m so glad you enjoyed it Michelle 🙂

13. Fred Lee May 24, 2015 at 6:35 pm #

Really great but seems to be missing an ingredients list?

14. Sam May 25, 2015 at 9:15 am #

Hi Fred – its more an ideas post as I tell yo exactly how to make it linking back to previous recipes. All the instructions and ingredients are there.Thanks Sam

15. Lynn Crawford May 21, 2016 at 9:12 pm #

Can another cheese be used, like Goat Cheese. I do not like Blue Cheese.

16. Lynn Crawford May 21, 2016 at 9:13 pm #

Can another cheese like goat cheese be used? I do not like blue cheese.

17. Sam May 23, 2016 at 11:25 am #

HI Lynn, yes Goats cheese would be lovely.

18. CK September 28, 2016 at 8:55 pm #

used honey goat cheese instead of marscapone, baked (more like 8 minutes…)with the figs already on it, forgot to use the balsamic…. kids and hubby ate it up (-: thanks for the inspiring recipe!

19. Sam September 29, 2016 at 10:31 am #

Im so glad you liked the recipe and goats cheese sounds amazing.

1. Food of the Month: Figs | House of Blog - October 8, 2014

[…] all-out, or a simple roast chicken with figs). It’s also popular as a pizza-topper- try the pizza bianco with caramelised onion, blue cheese, figs and balsamic vinegar – or as a posh bruschetta. A massively versatile fruit, you can hardly ignore it […]

2. 27 Delicious Ways To Eat Fresh Figs | JVFullCircleMedia - October 11, 2015

[…] drizzleanddip.com […]

3. 27 Delicious Ways To Eat Fresh Figs | view3d.tv - June 1, 2016

[…] drizzleanddip.com […]

4. Modish | pizza bianco with caramelised onion, blue cheese, figs and balsamic - September 27, 2016

[…] This is a delicious and easy pizza snack idea that hovers some where between savoury and sweet. […]

5. Easy naan bread pizza with roasted tomato sauce | Drizzle and Dip - October 19, 2016

[…] you are after, and you can make a tomato based pizza or a bianca version like this or like this. I love the naan bread pizza too. Its a little thicker to handle more robust toppings and with […]