how to make a basil mojito

basil mojito

A classic Mojito is made with mint, but since mint and basil are in the same family, I thought I would play around. I love the idea of using herbs that would normally be used in savoury applications and include them with sweet dishes or drinks. It adds an element of surprise.

I did a beverage shoot last week and my client brought me these beautiful limes from her tree, so I simply had to shoot them and make a drink.

Brand Matzek of the blog Kitchen Konfidence is very experimental with drinks, and I find his flavour combo’s so interesting. A long time ago I was inspired by a basil and strawberry cocktail he made which turned into me making a strawberry & balsamic sorbet with a basil & black pepper infusion. Check out his cucumber, lime and basil martini, and you will see what I mean.

basil mojito

You can use sugar straight up in a Mojito, but I always prefer to use a sugar syrup. You make this by boiling together water and sugar to a ratio of 2:1 until you get a thick consistency. Once the sugar has dissolved completely, boil for about 3 minutes and then allow to cool. This can be stored in a jar for ages or years. Maybe forever.

I’ve added rum (obviously), but this is also rather tasty in a ‘virginal’ format.

Recipe | makes 1 large Mojito

• 2T sugar syrup or 1 T sugar
  • 1 lime (half juiced, and half cut into wedges
  • a shot of white rum (as much as you like but 25ml is good)
  • 6 – 10 basil leaves
  • soda water
  • extra slices of lime to garnish

Place the sugar / sugar syrup, rum, lime juice and wedges in a tall sturdy glass and bash with a muddler to release the flavour. fill the glass with a lot of ice, and top up with soda water. Garnish with fresh basil leaves and slices of lime.

basil mojito

A few other drinks that could rock your summer (if you are living in the Northern hemisphere that is):

The Paloma:

How to make the perfect Paloma

Passion fruit cordial:

passion fruit cordial

A delectable cocktail with strawberries and coconut water:

coconut water and strawberries cocktail

Home-made iced tea with ginger and mint:

iced tea

Pomegranate spritzer:

pomegranate and ginger spritzer

I look forward to connecting with you again in the future.

I can also be found enthusiastically pinning beautiful food images on Pinterest.

, , , , ,

15 Responses to how to make a basil mojito

1. Michael Olivier May 23, 2013 at 2:47 pm #

Oh Sam what a fabulous collection of pics. You are so so talented. Luv Mxx

2. Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence May 23, 2013 at 4:05 pm #

Thanks for the shout out Sam! That recipe takes me back! 2010 – almost 3 years ago.

This Basil Mojito looks super tasty and refreshing. I’m definitely giving this a try.

3. Lisa the Gourmet Wog May 23, 2013 at 4:10 pm #

ooooh Basil sounds interesting! I love trying new drinks all the time, actually, I love drinks full stop 😉

4. Sam May 23, 2013 at 4:49 pm #

Hi Brandon, I just love all your drinks ideas x

5. Sam May 23, 2013 at 4:49 pm #

I’m so with you on that one Lisa #cheers :-)

6. suzanne Perazzini May 24, 2013 at 9:00 am #

Those drinks look fresh and delightful and the photos are gorgeous.

7. Sam May 24, 2013 at 6:25 pm #

Thanks Suzanne, I hope all well with you in NZ :-)

8. Laura (Tutti Dolci) May 25, 2013 at 6:54 pm #

Your mojito looks so refreshing, love the basil!

9. lesley May 26, 2013 at 4:26 am #

wow.. your blog & photography are stunning.. I came via Pinterest where I pinned your leek, mushroom & parmesan phyllo pastries.. I’m looking forward to exploring your blog further!

10. Sam May 26, 2013 at 12:04 pm #

Thanks Lesley, and I hope to see you around here more often :-)
    best

11. Jennifer @ Delicieux May 27, 2013 at 3:53 am #

Mojito is hands down my favourite cocktail, but I’ve never through of trying a basil version. It looks divine.

1. Live, eat, wear, escape, listen… Kerala calling | Decorator's Notebook blog - June 14, 2013

[…] / EAT / WEAR / […]

2. Happy Hour: Easy Basil Mojito - The Nest Blog - December 3, 2013

[…] a cocktail recipe that’s both easy-to-make and enjoy? This simple basil mojito from Drizzle and Dip is perfect for any holiday get-together because it’s strong, delish and only requires five […]

3. Pretty Palettes #110 | My Wedding Zone - September 16, 2014

[…] how delicious and refreshing does this Basil Mojito by Drizzle and Dip look?? The recipe is a wonderful spin on the classic Mojito cocktail… plus the […]

4. Basil Mojito | Cocktail Fans - October 13, 2014