baked ricotta with basil, chilli and lemon

baked ricotta with lemon and chilli

Is there anything ricotta cant do? Its one of the most versatile cheeses to use in savoury dishes or sweet desserts. On its own it fairly bland, but  it sucks up all the flavours around it so beautifully. I simply love working with it.

If you plan carefully and are a little clever, you can quite easily make it yourself in advance. Check how to do it here.

Nothing makes me happier than knocking together a very simply dish using few ingredients and making something delicious. This recipe is a fabulous and easy way to pack flavour into ricotta, turning it in to a tasty spread or party dip. I used a Parmesan infused olive oil, which just made it more interesting, but a good extra virgin will work well too.

I had some of the ricotta leftover, and used it as a sandwich spread on a slice of whole wheat bread. I added a few salad things – and frankly- its almost worth making it just to have that.

Recipe | makes about 1 cup

• 1 cup ricotta cheese
  • 1 – 2 cloves garlic, cruched
  • pinch dried chillli flakes
  • 1/2 lemon, zested
  • 2T lemon juice (about 1/2 a small lemon)
  • 1 T finely choppedbasil leaves
  • 1 T olive oil, or Parmesan infused olive oil
  • salt and pepper

Pre heat the oven to 180 C / 350 F.

Mix all the ingredients together, checking to taste as you go, and adjusting the seasoning to your taste. You might like more chilli or lemon. Place in a small oven dish and back fro 20 minutes until it just starts to turn brown.

Drizzle more olive oil over the top and serve with crackers or bread.

Yip, just like that #easypeasy

baked ricotta with lemon and chilli

You might like these other 2 baked cheese recipe:

baked camembert with crispy bacon and pepper

baked brie wrapped in parma ham and thyme

_MG_0721 copy

, , , ,

21 Responses to baked ricotta with basil, chilli and lemon

1. Becky @ A Calculated Whisk May 31, 2013 at 3:20 pm #

Looks so good! I love baked brie and had never thought of baked ricotta!

2. Meghan @ Cake 'n' Knife May 31, 2013 at 3:55 pm #

I looooooove ricotta! I have used it so many ways but I have never heard of baking it before. What a great idea! Can’t wait to try it this weekend!

3. Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence May 31, 2013 at 4:16 pm #

I loooove baked ricotta. Especially schmeared on some crusty crostini.

4. Laura (Tutti Dolci) May 31, 2013 at 5:35 pm #

I love ricotta, these flavors are outstanding!

5. Lisa the Gourmet Wog June 1, 2013 at 9:43 am #

Wow this looks most delicious, what a wonderful flavour combo

6. usha singh June 2, 2013 at 5:06 pm #

i love the idea of baked Ricotta–will have to give it a try for the boys some time soon

7. Sam June 2, 2013 at 7:09 pm #

Thanks Usha x

8. Emily @dishtell.com June 3, 2013 at 1:12 am #

I love this idea. I wouldn’t have thought of that. Sounds like an amazing dip. Thanks :).

Emily

9. Nicole June 8, 2013 at 5:48 am #

I am obsessed with ricotta lately! I will have to try baking it, thanks for the idea.

10. Sam June 8, 2013 at 2:43 pm #

Have you tried making ricotta yourself Nicole? so easy.

11. Nicole June 8, 2013 at 11:43 pm #

I have made ricotta at home, in fact my latest post is Homemade Ricotta. It is so much easier than I ever would’ve expected … and tastes so much better than store bought!

12. Gina June 10, 2013 at 1:46 pm #

Thanks for this recipe Sam, I made this last night for friends and it was perfect with some wine and french loaf.

13. Sam June 10, 2013 at 2:12 pm #

Pleasure Gina, glad you enjoyed it.

14. Pamela McOnie June 10, 2013 at 5:30 pm #

I rushed off for the weekend with your recipe in mind – teaches one to print it out and take it along – I forgot the garlic and the chilli – drat! It was still lovely but it would have made it more zesty! I could not find basil – so used corriander – which was great with it! Thanks for the inspiration Sam!

15. Sam June 10, 2013 at 6:00 pm #

Hey Pammy, great stuff, I think most herbs would work, but it needs the garlic and chilli me thinks.

16. juliet in manchester-by-the-sea, massachusetts August 30, 2014 at 3:17 pm #

I made this yesterday and it was delicious… I brought it to a party, served it with garlic crostini, and it was gone in minutes. Thanks!

17. Sam August 30, 2014 at 6:46 pm #

Awesome Juliet – Im so pleased to hear 🙂

18. Lisa April 21, 2015 at 2:50 pm #

What are the crackers you picture in your photo with the ricotta dip?

19. Sam April 29, 2015 at 7:21 am #

HI LIsa – I think they are little fltabreads I purhcased frim a bakery that sadly is no longer.

1. Rosmarino pasta with roasted tomatoes, feta and olives | Drizzle and Dip - December 7, 2016

[…] baked ricotta with basil lemon and chilli […]

2. Fennel, radish & mint salad recipe with lemon & ricotta | Drizzle and Dip - June 8, 2017

[…] mint is added and served on a base of ricotta. I am passionate about ricotta and combined with lemon, basil and chilli and baked in a simple dish is sublime, so this salad made total sense to me. Ricotta is a delicious neutral fresh dairy base […]