roasted onion and beetroot tart tartin with balsamic caramel and thyme

roasted beetroot and onion tart tartin with a thyme balsamic caramel

I had my big oven on while making my lamb chops, cauliflower ‘cous cous’ and roasted baby vegetables, so popped a tray of cut red onions in to roast too. I was keen to try out a baby beetroot and roasted red onion tart tartin which I had seen Michel Roux Jnr make on his show Food & Drink the night before.

The red onions I used were quite small so I trimmed the ends and cut them in half so they were more or less the same size. I roasted these and the baby beetroot for about 25 minutes at 180 C, until they were cooked through and starting to caramelise. You can roast onions slowly for a very long time, but I wanted to keep some texture for the tart. It is important to roast them before otherwise they will be too firm if they are baked in the tart only.

If you don’t have baby vegetables, use normal sized, but ensure you cut them into roughly the same thickness so they make a more or less even layer in the tart.

I made and shot this right at the end of the day in the last few rays of daylight, so I forgot to add a very important element, the cheese. I had a block of the most delectable goats milk Pecorino which I shaved generously over the tart. It totally made the dish. I bought this recently at the Cheese Festival and its a real winner for me because it hits my adoration for goats cheese head on (its very goaty), but has the texture and saltiness of Parmesan. The tart is fairly sweet, so this really does need a cheese of sorts. I think creme fraiche mixed with goats cheese would also be lovely. Michel didnt use balsamic or cheese in his recipe, but I felt those elements really helped offset the sweetness of this tart.

If you missed my beetroot series in 2011 – you can click the link and see how I got carried away with this marvelous bright red vegetable.

red onions roasting

Recipe | serves 4

• 200g baby beetroot, peeled and ends trimmed
  • 500g small red onions, peeled, trimmed and cut in half (or to the same thickness as the beetroot.
  • 60g sugar
  • 2T balsamic vinegar
  • 4 – 5 sprigs of thyme
  • 1 x 250g ready made butter puff pastry
  • sea salt and pepper
  • goats cheese pecorino or Parmesan to serve (or other similar)

Pre heat the oven to 180 C and roast the onions and beetroot as per instructions above, with a few thyme leaves, salt and pepper for 25 – 30 minutes.

In a medium sized pan (I used a 23cm oven proof frying pan) heat the sugar and balsamic vinegar until it becomes a caramel (about 4 – 5 minutes). Don’t stir this, just swirl it around until it starts bubbling and thickening. At this point, remove it from the heat and scatter over a few sprigs of thyme, as well as leaves from about 2 sprigs onto the caramel. Arrange the slices of beetroot and onion evenly (cut side facing down) over the bottom of the pan.

Place the puff pastry over this and tuck the edges lightly down the sides, and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until golden brown.

Remove the tart from  the oven, allow it to cool slightly and then invert it over a large plate. Shave goats cheese Pecorino, Parmesan or crumble goats cheese over the top and serve.

*notes: Serve this with a green salad to make a lunch or light supper, or make them into individual tart cases and serve as a starter.

roasted beetroot and onion tart tartin with a thyme balsamic caramel

roasted beetroot and onion tart tartin with a thyme balsamic caramel

roasted beetroot and onion tart tartin with a thyme balsamic caramel

roasted beetroot and onion tart tartin with a thyme balsamic caramel

, , , , , ,

21 Responses to roasted onion and beetroot tart tartin with balsamic caramel and thyme

1. Daniella Oosthuizen July 4, 2013 at 10:38 am #

Looks delish, we will defs be trying this! X

2. Catherine July 4, 2013 at 11:08 am #

Looks amazing… I am not a fan of beetroot… what you could I maybe put in its place?

3. Sam July 4, 2013 at 11:09 am #

It was awesome Danz, I know you love the whole beetroot – goat combo x

4. Sam July 4, 2013 at 11:10 am #

Hi Catherine – you could just do onions:-)

5. Catherine July 4, 2013 at 4:10 pm #

Thanks 🙂

6. Margot C July 4, 2013 at 5:37 pm #

I have to make this; I am an absolute fool for anything with beets.

BTW, your presentation is jaw-dropping beautiful.

I wonder though, when did we start calling ‘Beets’, ‘Beetroot’. I see it everywhere. Not complaining exactly. ‘Beet’s certainly sounds just pedestrian. ‘Beetroot’ has a marvelous sophisticated and also slightly resonant of the Middle ages kind of ring to it. I think treasured ladies in waiting knew brilliant things to do with ‘Beetroot’ at one time.

7. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com July 4, 2013 at 10:24 pm #

OMG! The photos, amazing textures and flavors. Where and how do I begin to compliment? 😀

8. A Recipe For Gluttony July 4, 2013 at 10:48 pm #

This looks beautiful! I love roasted beetroot and goats cheese in a salad, but hadn’t thought of combining them in a tarte tat in.

I will definitely give this a go!

Becky
    x

9. Laura (Tutti Dolci) July 5, 2013 at 7:43 am #

I love roasted onions, beautiful presentation!

10. Nicole July 5, 2013 at 9:51 am #

I love every ingredient in this lovely tart! It looks absolutely gorgeous.

11. Clare July 5, 2013 at 2:02 pm #

I made the same dish as I was also inspired. Stuck to his recipe. What a delicious and uncomplicated recipe. A definite party trick!

12. Luke Richmond July 5, 2013 at 7:45 pm #

This looks fantastic and I bet it tasted fab too! Your blog is actually a really big inspiration to me and your food presentation is out of this world! I actually recently featured you on my blog – http://tinyurl.com/holidayreads – and would love you to check it out. ( ´ ? ` )

– Luke @ chewkamu.blogspot.co.uk

13. Sam July 5, 2013 at 8:28 pm #

Thanks Becky 🙂

14. Sam July 5, 2013 at 8:29 pm #

That’s awesome Clare, made my day, thank you.

15. Sam July 5, 2013 at 8:34 pm #

thank you for the very kind words and mention on your blog Luke, I’m quite flattered. I have indeed worked very hard, but it is just only me ;-).

16. Sam July 5, 2013 at 8:35 pm #

17. bristol plasterer June 1, 2015 at 7:09 pm #

Hmm these look delicious, thanks for posting up this recipe, looks quite simple to make.

Simon

18. Sam June 2, 2015 at 8:18 am #

Hi Simon, its one of my favourite dishes actually. enjoy

1. Zesty Five: June 30 – July 6 - July 8, 2013

[…] Roasted Onion and Beetroot Tart Tartin with Balsamic Caramel and Thyme […]

2. Five Good Things & Newsy Bits: Friday | justb. - July 11, 2013

[…] this weekend? 3.  Lovely savoury pancakes over at Finger, Fork & Knife. 4.  And an amazing tart at Drizzle and Dip. Gosh yum. 5.  I made this yummy […]

3. 10 recipes ot make this july | Drizzle and Dip - July 4, 2017

[…] Roasted red onion and beetroot tart tartin with balsamic caramel & thyme […]