jamie olivers low fat caesars salad dressing

Jamie Olivers low fat Caesars salad dressing

Jamie Olivers low fat Caesars salad dressing

basil

I’m a big fan of Jamie Oliver. His recipes just work, are packed with flavour and are never too cheffy and complicated. I saw him make this low-fat Caesars salad dressing on his TV show – 15 Minute Meals and fell in love. I am a huge fan of a classic Caesars salad and love it with a classic coddled egg dressing. Its amongst  my favourite foods, and I could probably eat it every day.

Jamie was making a chicken Caesars salad dish with all sorts of tasty bits and pieces, but I zoned in on the dressing. It doesn’t contain olive oil, but rather uses yoghurt instead, and since I had half a tub of low-fat yoghurt left over from making tzatziki the other day, I didn’t even need a trip to the shops to whip this up. I was also a little intrigued by his use of basil, not at all typical of a Caesars dressing.

I don’t yet have the 15 Minute Meals book, it’s definitely on my list. In the meantime I’m loving the show. Simple and quick recipes that are perfect for week night suppers. I love how everything is jam-packed with flavour, has shorter cooking times, and a good dose of fresh ingredients are thrown in the mix. Jamie has really focused in on healthy eating here, and since I am in dire need of calorie restriction, this is totally what I need right now.

He is quite loose with his measurements, which I don’t mind at all, so I adapted my recipe based on his splash of this and spoon of that, and to my taste. I reduced the amount of lemon as it is very tangy.

Recipe | Adapte from Jamie Olivers 15 minute Meals | makes about 350 – 400ml

• 5T low fat / fat-free yoghurt – 100ml
  • 1T red wine vinegar
  • 8 anchovy fillets
  • 1T Worcestershire sauce
  • 1t Dijon Mustard (Jamie uses English – I prefer Dijon)
  • small handful of fresh basil leaves
  • 1 clove of garlic, crushed
  • 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice (about 1 1/2 – 2 lemons)
  • 50g Parmesan cheese (I used Pecorino)
  • salt and pepper to taste

Place all the above ingredients into a food processor or liquidiser and whiz it up until it is well combined.

Store in a sealed container in the fridge and as use as required.

I am quite blown away by this dressing. It’s very lemony and could perhaps do with a little less, but with no oil, and only a little fat coming from the cheese, it will definitely become a staple in my house. It really does taste so similar to a Caesars dressing.

**PS ~ This post has become very popular so I thought I would add in a post script. I make this dressing all the time these days and I prefer the following tweaks. I add olive oil and much less lemon, and by adding pesto the garlic is incorporated in a softer way, but you could also add another half a clove to the mix if you are a fan.

• 110ml yoghurt
  • 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 6 anchovy fillets
  • 1Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 Tbsp basil pesto (if you dont have fresh basil)
  • 1t Dijon Mustard
  • 1Tbsp lemon juice
  • 40g Parmesan cheese(or pecorino)
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste

* to see the recipe for my ‘action packed’ Caesars salad with chicken and bacon, but with a classic dressing – clickity click over here.

Jamie Olivers low fat Caesars salad dressing

, ,

22 Responses to jamie olivers low fat caesars salad dressing

1. Theresa July 17, 2013 at 1:38 pm #

Lovely photos- I love the contrast of colour and the short depth of field.

2. S July 17, 2013 at 2:24 pm #

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I’m kinda bummed with my dressings recently, haven’t been creative at all.
    But this one gives me hope especially sans oil nor mayo.
    I’m going to check his book next time. I do enjoy his show and foodtube.

3. Sam July 17, 2013 at 2:41 pm #

Thanks Theresa, I bought the bowl in Knysna :-)))

4. Sam July 17, 2013 at 2:43 pm #

That’s great S, I always like to make my own too, and htis is so tasty and zingy. Maybe slightly too lemony, but I like big flavours.

5. Laura (Tutti Dolci) July 18, 2013 at 12:58 am #

I love yogurt-based dressings and the basil sounds so good here!

6. ami@naivecookcooks July 18, 2013 at 6:42 am #

Sam I make this dressing all the time and it sure is a winner!

7. Sam July 18, 2013 at 10:37 am #

Hi Ami, such a winning dressing. I am in love with it 🙂

8. Jenny July 18, 2013 at 5:25 pm #

Hey there Sam, I absolutely love your blog but there is one thing that’s missing. The ‘Print the Recipe’ option. I’m not too up-to-date with technology so perhaps it’s because it’s a ‘Blog’ as opposed to a web site. Maybe you have a suggestion. Thanks, Jenny

9. Sam July 19, 2013 at 8:42 am #

Hi Jenny, thanks for the note, and I am looking at adding that in, it is possible. In the meantime, copy and paste into a word doc and print from there. I think I should add it in though. I kind of hate printing, and try to lead a paperless life, so its not something I don’t do. Im also not sure how many people do this?
    thanks
    sam

10. Jenny July 19, 2013 at 2:24 pm #

Hello again Sam, Thanks so much for your quick reply and yes, I agree, I’m also not a big fan of printing so I’ll try the copy and paste thing with a select few – all baking because, although I do tinker a bit with savoury dishes, baking is so precise and I need that recipe in front of me. I need to get an iPad as my laptop uses up too much counter-top space. It was good to see you on Masterchef. They need to call in the Bloggers more often. Jenny

11. Sam July 19, 2013 at 4:38 pm #

Thanks Jenny, it was fun and very cool that they engaged food people from the digital side of things 🙂

12. Jenny July 19, 2013 at 4:42 pm #

Just quick. Tried the copy and paste thing and it worked perfectly. Thank you so much Sam. Have a great weekend. Jenny

13. April July 28, 2013 at 8:05 pm #

I love Jamie’s food! I’ve actually got the book too, but I’ve never really took much notice of this recipe for some reason. I think i’ll definitely have to give it a go now though as Caesar salad is one of my favourites, but obviously usually pretty unhealthy too haha! Have a lovely week!

14. Sam July 29, 2013 at 3:11 pm #

HI April, I think you will love this healthy version 🙂

15. Pam January 31, 2015 at 12:47 am #

Love this dressing. Made as is but next time I would adjust the anchovy’s. A little strong for my taste. Will taste after adding 4 then adjust. I added more 3 tbs more yogurt and a 1tbs more lemon . It does have a strong flavor so those that don’t particularly like that may want to taste as you go..A keeper though !!

16. Sam January 31, 2015 at 1:25 pm #

Hi Pam, yes totally agree. I really think that people should always taste their food and make it exactly to their preference. It is so easy with this dressing to simply add or subtract whatever ingredient. I have been making it lately without anchovies (I ran out) but just added a bit more worcestershire sauce (which is anchovy flavour) – I also add more yoghurt. I just kind of wing it now using these a guideline 🙂

17. Sharkbait Shea (@SheaCake) April 9, 2015 at 9:29 pm #

Tried out this recipe the other night, turned out great! Thanks for sharing 🙂

18. darla March 25, 2016 at 3:25 am #

How long is it good for?

19. Sam March 29, 2016 at 9:14 am #

Hi Darla, I normally eat it within a few days. I think about 4 – 6 max. It tends to go a little runny after a couple of days.

1. Blogs we're Crushing on... | Crush Online - August 29, 2013

[…] the blogger profile images are from Top With Cinnamon, A House in the Hills, V.K. Rees Photography, Drizzle and Dip, Local Milk and Design Love […]

2. 8 easy-to-make low-fat salad dressings - September 24, 2014

[…] If you’re a Caesar kind of person, make sure to check out Jamie Oliver’s low-fat Caesar salad dressing recipe, which I found on Drizzle & […]

3. Kale 'Caesars salad' with roast chicken | Drizzle and Dip - September 22, 2015

[…] immediately looked to my new all time favorite ‘Caesars salad dressing’. Adapted from a Jamie Oliver recipe I posted a while back, this dressing has become a staple in my house. I use basil pesto if I […]