warm new potato salad with lemon and dill and crumbed chicken breasts

Crumbed chicken breast with herbs, lemon and Parmesan

New potato salad with dill and lemon

One of the downsides of being a foodbloger, and living on my own, is I rarely get to re-make some of my old favourite recipes. I am always trying to do new ones to blog about, and sometimes I feel a little sad about this. Also, since there is no family to feed, and I hate wasting food, one recipe normally gets eaten over a few days which then limits variety in my week of eating.

The other night I just wanted a crispy crumbed chicken breast, and what better recipe than Ina Garten’s chicken Parmesan which I have blogged about before. Its quick and easy to put together and in this variation, I used less Parmesan (only about 1/4 cup) and added the zest of a lemon to the crumbs. It was divine.

I made a warm potato salad to go with it, and used finely chopped dill and lemon zest, instead of my previous variation of mint and lemon. The creme fraiche lightens the salad up and the dill and lemon give it a burst of flavour. I have also made it with a bunch of sliced spring onions and smoked red bell pepper – which sadly is a product that is no longer available because I was the only one who made it.

Recipe | serves 4

• 700gms new potatoes
  • 250gm tub of creme fraiche
  • 1/4 cup or 4 T good quality mayonnaise (you could easily make your own)
  • zest from 1 lemon – about 1 T
  • juice from half a lemon
  • 2 T finely chopped dill
  • sea salt and a generous grinding of black pepper

Boil the potatoes until just done and drain. Mix all the other ingredients together and toss through the potatoes. Serve this either warm (allow the potatoes to cool slightly after boiling) or cold.

While the potatoes are on the boil, make the crumbed chicken breasts and supper is sorted.

*tip ~ The chicken breasts make a fabulous burger, served on a soft whole wheat roll, with mayo and loads of crispy lettuce.

Have a happy week end x

New potato salad with dill and lemon

Crumbed chicken breast with herbs, lemon and Parmesan

I can also be found enthusiastically pinning beautiful food images on Pinterest, and snapping pics for Instagram

, , , , ,

25 Responses to warm new potato salad with lemon and dill and crumbed chicken breasts

1. Jo August 16, 2013 at 11:44 am #

Yikes, this looks so SO delicious, I am simply going to have to make this for dinner one evening. Your photos are so gorgeous, I can almost smell the dill in the potato salad and taste the crispy crumbed chicken… really fabulous work!

2. Sam August 16, 2013 at 12:36 pm #

Thanks Jo 🙂

3. DessertForTwo August 16, 2013 at 2:35 pm #

So simple, so delicious. We love crumbed chicken breast. It seems to be just what we want to eat when nothing else sounds good 🙂

4. Dolly August 16, 2013 at 6:43 pm #

Oh, I understand how it is to be living on your own and having to eat all the food for days. I wish I was your housemate or neighbor then I could help you finish up the food so you could cook more! What I do is share my creations (if they were successful) with my workmates. Fortunately they haven’t (yet) tired of me feeding them!

5. Laura (Tutti Dolci) August 16, 2013 at 9:31 pm #

I love warm potato salads and your crumbed chicken looks mouthwatering!

6. Cristina August 16, 2013 at 10:40 pm #

That looks like a comforting meal…I can taste that potato salad! Yes, it’s so true about with food blogging. Sometimes we don’t get back to some of those favorite recipes we blogged about because we’re always looking for something we haven’t made before. Luv your lighting and compositions!

Have a great weekend!!

7. Abbie @ Needs Salt August 17, 2013 at 2:09 am #

Wow, this potato salad looks so delicious! I love fresh dill. <3
    Pinning!

8. Simone August 17, 2013 at 9:12 am #

Wow, that looks pretty amazing! I love a good crispy chicken and that potato salad sounds just about perfect. I do kow what you mean on ot remaking most of the recipes… I have the same, always on the lookout for new things!

9. Sam August 17, 2013 at 9:20 am #

thanks Abbie 🙂

10. Sam August 17, 2013 at 9:21 am #

Hi Simone, I also try and cook without worrying about blogging. Like I used to. Just from my heart, every now and again.

11. Sam August 17, 2013 at 9:23 am #

I sometimes wonder Cristina, if I will be blogging forever. Do you? It feels like it is such a big part of my life. I wonder how long we will all last lol.

12. Sam August 17, 2013 at 9:24 am #

Dolly, my neighbors are very happy with me 🙂 (and a few friends)

13. Sarah | The Sugar Hit August 17, 2013 at 11:40 am #

I know exactly what you mean about hating waste, good on you for doing what you can to avoid it! And if this is the result of repeating recipes, then by all means, because this looks like a DREAM.

14. Yvonne @ bitterbaker August 17, 2013 at 6:41 pm #

Ooo yum!! This looks delicious! New potatoes goes hand in hand with summer for me, can’t imagine one without them!

15. Liz Thomas August 18, 2013 at 4:28 am #

“smoked red bell pepper – which sadly is a product that is no longer available because I was the only one who made it.”

You smoked the red pepper yourself? This sounds interesting but I cannot find it on your blog anywhere. Did you do this commercially.

I must go and look in the freezer, I hope that we haven’t eaten the last of the chicken breasts — I fancy something simple like this tonight.

Thanks
    Hope you’re having a good weekend.

Cheers~!
    Liz

16. Sam August 18, 2013 at 3:40 pm #

HI Liz, yes, I started a small artisan cold smoking business called ‘The Smoking Shed’ with a friend a few years ago, and for various reasons we were not able to keep it up. We smoked everything from chili, to salt to dried red bell peppers, butter, cheese and tuna. We even smoked chocolate. I am planning on building my own small cold smoker for my own use. I cant live without this amazing method of preserving food.

17. Sam August 18, 2013 at 3:41 pm #

Thanks Yvonne, I much prefer new pots to normal pots, so much more flavour and lower in GI 🙂

18. Liz Thomas August 19, 2013 at 9:03 am #

We have a cold smoker and dabble in it from time to time. It’s a stainless stand alone unit with a firebox which slides in and out so you can hot smoke too — and for ultra cold smoke in this hot climate we also put bags of ice on the horizontal “chimney” of the smoke box. Works a treat. A friend who is a chef in a French restaurant here had one and he loaned it to us to have it copied.

Have a friend with a small commercial enterprize in the UK and his latest is smoked water — kid you now, apparently Heston’s using it! It’s being marketed through Halen Mon, the Anglesey sea salt company.

Good luck on building your own — I’d be happy to send you photos of our one if you’d like?

(Didn’t find the chicken breasts last night, must have eaten them!)

Cheers!
    Liz

19. Liz Thomas August 19, 2013 at 9:04 am #

Sorry — should be “kid you not” !!

20. Lori August 19, 2013 at 4:07 pm #

I am first in line if u ever make the smoked red pepper flakes again… I lived for that stuff and eked it out as much as I could

21. Bec October 5, 2014 at 6:33 am #

Oh my. my mouth just watered! I LOVE Dill and also schnitzels so this meal is up my alley. I am going to make this but with eggplant schnitzels (vegetarian!)

22. Sam October 6, 2014 at 9:06 am #

Thanks Bec, thats sounds divine!

1. Warm Potato Salad with Lemon and Dill « This is a Test - November 24, 2013

[…] Warm Potato Salad with Lemon and Dill […]

2. 4 recipes // love to try | - February 15, 2014

[…] want to try | Chocolate, Prune and Armagnac Cake | Carrot cake deluxe | Spicy sweet potato soup | Warm new potato salad with lemon and dill and crumbed chicken breasts . See more of the recipes I love to try on […]

3. 10 recipes ot make this july | Drizzle and Dip - July 4, 2017