apple cake with maple cream cheese frosting

apple cake with maple cream cheese frosting

apple cake with maple cream cheese frosting

apple cake with maple cream cheese frosting

While flipping through the Ottolenghi cookbook, I instantly fell in love with this apple cake with maple cream cheese frosting. Fruit cakes are high up on my ‘favorite food’ list and I simply couldn’t resist the sound of the maple syrup and cream cheese combo.

The original recipe includes sultanates, but I’m mildly obsessed with baked things containing apples, so decided to leave these out and replace with more apple. As it turned out, the one extra apple weighed the same as the sultanas (80g), so it felt like it was meant to be. I also used sunflower oil instead of the olive oil in the recipe. For no particular reason other than I have had much success with cakes using it and I only had very good quality extra virgin olive oil in my house. I felt with all the flavour additions in the cake it would have been lost and a bit of a waste. If I had to use olive oil, I would have chosen a light, neutral tasting one.

It was also a brilliant opportunity to test this recipe out for Sasko, and to include it in the series of recipes I am publishing for them using their cake flour. Its fabulous flour and I’m loving my baking results.

The other very exciting news, is I won the Bill Granger recipe challenge with his lime and coconut delicious recipe I did,  and I’m off to London in 2 weeks time. I’m planning a visit to Ottolenghi in person and cannot wait to see this renowned and famous establishment

Adapted from Ottolenghi – The Cookbook

apple cake with maple cream cheese frosting

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes

Total Time: 2 hours

Serving Size: 1 cake - torte

apple cake with maple cream cheese frosting

Ingredients

• 4 apples (Bramley, Golden Delicous or Red Cripps), cored, peeled and cut into 1 cm dice
  • 280g Sasko Cake Flour
  • 1/2t cinnamon
  • 1/4t salt
  • 1/2 baking powder
  • 1 1/4t baking soda
  • 120ml sunflower oil (or olive oil)
  • 160g caster sugar
  • 1t vanilla extract
  • 2 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
  • grated zest of 1 lemon
  • 2 free-range egg whites
  • icing sugar for dusting, 20g of chopped walnuts (optional for decorating)
  • maple frosting
  • 100g butter, at room temperature
  • 100g muscovado sugar
  • 85ml maple syrup
  • 250g cream cheese, at room temperature

Instructions

1. Pre heat the oven to 170 C and grease and line a 20 - 23 cm spring form pan (bottom and sides) with baking paper.
  2. Using an electric mixer beat the oil, sugar and vanilla extract together, and then add the eggs, one at a time, ensuring they are well incorporated before adding the next one.
  3. Sift together all the dry ingredients and set aside.
  4. By hand, add the apples and lemon zest and fold this through the wet mixture.
  5. Add the sifted dry ingredients and quickly mix to combine.
  6. Mix the egg whites using an electric mixer until they form firm peaks. Gently fold these by hand through the cake batter, trying not to knock all the air out.
  7. Fill the baking tin and bake for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours until the cake is done (*to test insert a sharp skewer or knife in the middle of the cake and if it comes out clean, it is done). Cool in the tin.
  8. When its cool, make the frosting / icing. Beat the butter, muscavado sugar and maple syrup together until it is light and fluffy (I found it best to do this using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment despite the recipe suggesting using a paddle attachment). Add the cream cheese and beat until the frosting is totally smooth.
  9. Slice the cooled cake in half horizontally and spread about 1xm of the frosting (about a third) over the bottom layer. Place the top layer on and ice the top and sides with the remaining frosting.
  10. Dust with icing sugar (optional) or decorate with chopped walnuts

Notes

If your cake top is turning too dark during the baking, loosely cover with foil about half way through

The frosting was soft and almost mousse like with phenomenal flavour and will now be my go-to preferred cream cheese frosting I use when I’m baking similar fruit cakes.

*Disclaimer ~ This is a sponsored post and part of a series of recipes Sasko have asked me to come up with using their flour. You can check out the first recipe for an easy herb, cheese and onion bread I did here. You can also check out all the fun and recipe son the Sasko Facebook page.

apple cake with maple cream cheese frosting

apple cake with maple cream cheese frosting

I can also be found enthusiastically pinning beautiful food images on Pinterest, and snapping pics of my life in Cape Town and what I eat on Instagram

, , , , ,

41 Responses to apple cake with maple cream cheese frosting

1. Ash-foodfashionparty September 26, 2013 at 7:05 pm #

Oh, that maple frosting looks delicious. Love Ottolenghi’s cookbook.
    Your pictures are beautiful and so is the cake.

2. suzanne Perazzini September 26, 2013 at 9:40 pm #

Gorgeous photos with lovely light. I like the idea of that maple frosting with cream cheese.

3. Ben September 27, 2013 at 1:50 am #

Er, when are you supposed to add the dry mix??

4. sandra @ foodmanna September 27, 2013 at 9:48 am #

Gorgeous fall cake! And congratulations! Have a great trip in London.

5. Zoe September 27, 2013 at 8:06 pm #

Oh wow!! CONGRATULATIONS!! So exciting!! (I tried the recipe by the way and loved it!) And this one is looking like a humdinger of note!!

6. jenny September 27, 2013 at 9:34 pm #

Hi Sam, Your pics are always amazing and you really deserve to have won that trip to London. We will be having lunch at both Bill Grainger restaurant and Ottolenghi’s restaurants as well when we are in London next week. Enjoy your prize. Jenny

7. Laura (Tutti Dolci) September 28, 2013 at 1:20 am #

Another stunning dessert, love the maple frosting. Congratulations on your win! 🙂

8. Sam September 28, 2013 at 11:36 am #

HI Jenny that is great. Let me know how it goes in London and at Bills

9. Sam September 28, 2013 at 11:36 am #

Thanks Zoe and glad you enjoyed. Its awesome 🙂

10. Sam September 28, 2013 at 11:37 am #

Thanks Sandra – I shall be reporting back here with all the details.

11. Sam September 28, 2013 at 11:38 am #

Thanks Ben, I left that step out by mistake and will add it in

12. Samantha Taylor September 29, 2013 at 9:17 am #

Congratulations Sam on your win! Well deserved. You must be beyond excited for London, stop by a Hummingbird Bakery if you can for a cupcake. This maple frosting sounds heavenly, I am going to try it on coffee cake. Safe travels.

13. Sam September 29, 2013 at 6:38 pm #

Thanks Sam 🙂 – im super excited. yes this icing would work on so many cakes.

14. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com September 30, 2013 at 6:12 am #

Congrats on your win!! How exciting!! I can’t wait to follow your journey on Instagram 🙂

This cake looks divine and that maple cream cheese frosting?! To die for!

Pinned!

15. Ilse van der Merwe - THE FOOD FOX September 30, 2013 at 11:39 am #

That frosting looks CRAZY delicious! And well done on the win – soooo jealous about your trip to London, wow!!!!!

16. Sam September 30, 2013 at 6:06 pm #

Thanks Ilse, Im super chuffed 🙂

17. Sam September 30, 2013 at 6:06 pm #

Thanks Kiran, needless to say I will be Instagramming London A LOT.

18. Spadeforkspoon October 1, 2013 at 10:58 am #

This looks a great cake. Hadn’t thought of combining apple with a maple frosting. Thanks.

19. zoe October 1, 2013 at 4:30 pm #

Sam, 2 questions – 1) Can I make this cake the day before, or is that day best? 2) Having trouble finding muscavado sugar – can I replace it with brown? Something else?

20. Sam October 1, 2013 at 4:57 pm #

Hi Zoe, the day ahead is perfect – it should last about 3 – 4 days. I would store in the fridge after day 2 – 3 because of the cream cheese. A dark brown sugar should work in the same way.

21. Belinda @themoonblushbaker October 1, 2013 at 6:32 pm #

love it! If apples are not in season (I am in Australia) Could other similar texture fruit be used?

22. Sam October 1, 2013 at 8:59 pm #

Hi Belinda, do you not get apples all year round? Pears could work.

23. Fran October 5, 2013 at 6:11 pm #

Hi
    Can you convert from grams to US measurements?

24. Fran October 5, 2013 at 6:13 pm #

I just saw conversion table!!!!!! LOL, excellent

25. Sam October 5, 2013 at 6:21 pm #

Glad you found 🙂

26. Donna @NothingChocolate October 30, 2013 at 11:49 pm #

Your images are so mouth-wateringly gorgeous! This apple cake looks like creamy heaven…
    I may try the frosting. Nice work here!

27. Sam October 31, 2013 at 8:28 am #

Thanks Donna 🙂 – its my new favourite icing and thew cake is pretty good too.

28. Stella November 1, 2013 at 10:56 am #

Do we get all purpose flour in SA now?

29. Sam November 2, 2013 at 3:07 pm #

HI Stella – All purpose Flour is cake flour in SA

30. Tanya May 5, 2014 at 11:52 pm #

Hello!
    I want to bake this cake for my friend’s birthday this week. Can I replace the maple syrup with honey? Does it affect the frosting’s level of sweetness?
    Thanks in advance

31. Sam May 6, 2014 at 10:36 am #

HI Tanya it should work fine bioth are very sweet and similar in texture.

32. Nitsi April 13, 2015 at 12:59 pm #

Busy with the maple frosting. Battling to dissolve the sugar into the butter + maple. Beating and beating but still some sugar grains.
    Nitsi

33. Sam April 13, 2015 at 7:54 pm #

Oh dear Nitsi – Mine was smooth and creamy – just keep beating – add the sugar slowly

1. Welcome To The Weekend - Elizabeth Anne Designs: The Wedding Blog - September 27, 2013

[…] Apple cake with maple cream cheese frosting. […]

2. Welcome To The Weekend - September 28, 2013

[…] Apple cake with maple cream cheese frosting. […]

3. American Inspired Pumpkin Scones | Icing Sugar Dust - October 2, 2013

[…] recipe’s I followed can be found here; Scone & Filling. For the glaze I mixed  3 tbsp of Icing Sugar with small amounts of water and 1/4 tsp cinnamon […]

4. inspiration: recipe book and cooking ideas – . D a n d y L i o n . - October 3, 2013

[…] pastry doughnut, crescent bread, apple cake […]

5. apple walnut cat cake | treatabel - April 20, 2015

[…] from Drizzle and Drip, who adapted from Ottolenghi – the […]

6. Recipe Roundup: 12 Apple Desserts | add some butter - June 1, 2015

[…] Apple Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting – Drizzle and Dip […]

7. spicy pumpkin and apple cake with cream cheese and maple frosting | Drizzle and Dip - October 23, 2015

[…] Its October and the food internet is awash with orange and everything pumpkin. It happens every year and I see recipes with pumpkin as an ingredient where it shouldn’t be an ingredient, but what can you do? It’s just a crazy mixed up time of year I’m jumping straight onto that bandwagon to bring you this spicy pumpkin and apple cake with my favorite cream cheese buttercream frosting to which I’ve added just a hint of maple syrup. If you are wanting a stronger maple syrup flavour then I highly recommend this maple cream cheese frosting. […]

8. So you have a chocolate addiction…. – thezeusfactor - March 16, 2016

[…] choc mousse found on lemontreedwelling.com Banana bread tiramisu from sugarhero.com Drizzlenanddip.com has this fabulous apple cake with maple cream cheese frosting Eek! Choc cherry rum cake from ourkitchen.fisherpaykel.com Lemon and passionfruit panna cotta from […]