I’m in such a good mood I could jump up and down with joy. I have managed to plough through a series of deadlines and can now see light at the end of the tunnel. This is the home stretch to Christmas and the end of the year, and I think we are all ready get our holiday on. In cape Town this means gorgeous Summer days on the beach, sunset picnics and plenty of parties. This delicious strawberry mojito with an infusion of ginger, basil, mint and black pepper is just the thing to get you into the swing of things.
I love experimenting with infusing flavours together. The black pepper adds a slight layer of heat. It takes a bit of time – although minimal effort is required, and the results are well worth it. For this drink I made the infused syrup in advance and then just whipped up the cocktail as soon as I got my hands on fabulous in season strawberries. You could easily turn this into a punch. Just pour all the sugar syrup, appropriate quantities of rum, lime juice and herbs into a big bowl, top with ice, muddle a bit and add soda water. I quite like it made individually. Leave the rum out for a delicious alcohol-free drink.
The sugar syrup in the recipe will make about 6 cocktails.
- sugar syrup
- 1/2 cup strawberries, cut in half
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 5cm piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 whole black peppercorns
- 6 mint leaves
- 6 basil leaves
- 1 cup strawberries halved or quartered
- 1 shot sugar syrup (25 - 35ml)
- 1 shot white rum (25ml)
- 3 - 4 mint leaves
- 3 - 4 basil leaves
- juice of half a lime
- soda water to top up
- lime wedes / slices to garnish
- extra mint to garnish (optional)
- to make the syrup
- make this in advance. Put all the ingredients into a small pot and bring to the boil. Allow to simmer for about 10 - 15 mins (low heat). Allow to cool, strain and refrigerate.
- To make the cocktail add all the ingredients into a beaker, or bowl and muddle it all together ensuring that the strawberries are broken down. Strain this through a small sieve , pressing down so that all the liquid comes out.
- Pour this into a tall glass with loads of ice and top up with soda water (if you want tit a little sweeter you can use lemonade or add more sugar syrup)
- Add your garnish and serve.
I look forward to connecting with you again in the future.
Visit my Drizzle and Dip Facebook page to get updates of all my posts.