frozen pineapple daiquiri

frozen-pineapple-daiquiri

I had a lot of pineapples, it’s the middle of Summer, so a frozen pineapple daiquiri seemed like a natural progression. I also had a friend banging on about how talented he is at making them, but has never actually invited me over to taste his,  so I decided to whip one up myself and show him that I can do it too.

So easy.

I don’t even have a blender.

My food processor worked just as well, and they are quite lovely without the rum too – aka a virgin frozen daiquiri.

I use half-frozen pineapple and half unfrozen. It just seemed to make sense to me to do it like this. I also think it’s an improvement on my friends technique of using just ice and fresh pineapples (wink wink). All from freshly cut beautifully ripe pineapples of course, I wouldn’t roll with tinned fruit here.

I assume a blender will work more efficiently, but in my food processor, I just kept it going until the ice was ground up and the mixture become light and fluffy. Almost frozen smoothie-like. It should be thick enough that it forms a soft peak in your glass.

Oh and I always have a sugar syrup on hand for these spontaneous cocktail-making sessions. It’s important that it’s readily available because it needs time to cool. Make this by boiling up water and sugar in a ratio of 2:1 until you get a thick consistency. Once the sugar has dissolved completely, boil it for about 3 minutes and then allow it to cool. This can be stored in a jar for ages or years.

I think next time I might make things more interesting and infuse fresh mint or vanilla into the sugar syrup. Both go so well with pineapple.

This is enough to make 2 medium frozen pineapple daiquiri’s:

frozen pineapple daiquiri

frozen pineapple daiquiri

Ingredients

• 3 cups freshly cut pineapple chunks (half frozen, half unfrozen)
  • about 1 cup of ice or crushed ice
  • 60ml sugar syrup
  • 50ml (2 x shots) white rum - optional
  • juice from 1 lime

Instructions

1. Put all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth, pale and fluffy.
  2. Drink immediately

Cheers and have a fabulous week end.

how-to-make-a-frozen-pineapple-daiquiri

I can also be found enthusiastically pinning beautiful food images on Pinterest, and snapping pics of my life in Cape Town and what I eat on Instagram

, , , ,

29 Responses to frozen pineapple daiquiri

1. shobelyn February 7, 2014 at 9:13 pm #

Dang, this looks delicious. I haven’t frozen pineapple before, will it still tastes the same if I freeze it?

2. Finla February 7, 2014 at 10:23 pm #

I am sure going to try this when it is summer.

3. Sam February 7, 2014 at 10:54 pm #

Hi Shobelyn, yes it will. The texture changes, but freezing fruit is a great way to preserve it and use in smoothies and recipes later (like jam and fruit coiuli’s)

4. Sam February 7, 2014 at 10:55 pm #

Hi Finla, yeah our seasons are all opposite 🙂

5. nina February 8, 2014 at 8:30 am #

I cannot stop looking at these, I had a pretty good one at Crystal Towers the other day…… my only problem with having two in a row is brain freeze….. lovely Sam!

6. cheri February 8, 2014 at 10:09 pm #

What a great tip, frozen fruit! Thanks

7. Micheline February 9, 2014 at 11:55 pm #

Hi! I’m new to your site. Stunning, amazing, to-die-for photography. I bookmarked your site on my Bloglovin’ feed so I can keep up with your new posts!

Micheline

8. Laura (Tutti Dolci) February 10, 2014 at 5:22 am #

Such a pretty and refreshing treat!

9. Sam February 10, 2014 at 9:53 am #

HI Micheline, thanks for the kind words and so glad you enjoy. I hope I see you around these parts soon
    s x

10. Sarah February 14, 2014 at 12:24 am #

These look delicious, but I have a question. I am trying to figure out how 50ml is equal to two shots. Here in the US a shot is considered 1.5 oz (44 ml), so two shots would be 88 ml. Are your shots measured differently?

11. Sam February 14, 2014 at 7:43 am #

Hi Sarah – yes our shots are 25ml each (small) – 50ml for 2. I think add as much as you like but for me 50ml is more than enough.

12. Lynn April 19, 2014 at 3:31 pm #

Pineapples are so naturally sweet. Do I really need to add sugar syrup?

13. Sam April 22, 2014 at 8:59 am #

Hi Lynn, its a matter of personal taste, but with all that ice I think you do. Test and see without though? It would also depend on how ripe your pinapple is too.

14. Nereida July 16, 2014 at 10:23 pm #

What exactly is sugar syrup??

15. Nereida July 16, 2014 at 10:24 pm #

What exactly is sugar syrup?

16. Sam July 17, 2014 at 9:18 am #

HI Nereida
    ‘Make this by boiling up water and sugar in a ratio of 2:1 until you get a thick consistency. Once the sugar has dissolved completely, boil it for about 3 minutes and then allow it to cool. This can be stored in a jar for ages or years.’

17. Nereida July 17, 2014 at 5:44 pm #

Sam, thanks for the quick reply! Can wait to make this drink 🙂

18. Nereida July 17, 2014 at 5:45 pm #

One more thing….does the sugar syrup need to be stored in the refrigerator??

19. Claire May 1, 2015 at 5:19 pm #

I’m thinking this might be good made with coconut vodka.

20. Melanie August 14, 2015 at 4:17 am #

Can’t wait to try this, sounds YUMMY!! May I ask where you purchased your drinkware? I’ve been looking for something extremely close to this 🙂

21. Sam August 14, 2015 at 8:26 am #

Hi Melanie – I bought these at a flea market second hand. They are brand balloons.

22. Jeff March 24, 2017 at 2:39 pm #

Wonder how this would taste with some coconut rum as well.

23. Sam March 24, 2017 at 5:18 pm #

Hi Jeff, I havent tried coconut rum but Im sure it will go well with pineapple 🙂

1. Frozen Pineapple Daiquiri | Delicious desserts recipes - March 3, 2014

[…] Recipe Inspire by:http://drizzleanddip.com/2014/02/07/frozen-pineapple-daiquirihttp://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pineapple-Mint-Frozen-Daiquiri-200687http://www.chow.com/recipes/30751-frozen-pineapple-daiquirihttp://www.drinksmixer.com/drink3651.htmlhttps://www.cocktail.uk.com/cocktails/frozen-pineapple-daiquirihttp://www.tastespotting.com/tag/daiquiri […]

2. Frozen Pineapple Daiquiri | Yummy Food Ideas - August 16, 2014

[…] Read full preparation method Categories: Drinks Tags: drinks ideas […]

3. 10 Delicious Recipes For National Daiquiri Day | Narcity Toronto - July 19, 2016

[…] Photocred – Drizzleanddip […]