paella

paella

My mind has been wandering to paella a lot lately so I’m relieved I finally got to make it. Packed with so many delicious flavours that I love, from the spicy chorizo, smokey paprika to mixed seafood and lemon, it has to be the ultimate one pan wonder of a dish. There are also no strict rules here. You can adapt this to your own taste adding whatever you have lying around. This rustic Spanish dish was designed to feed people en masse but it also somehow has an air of sophistication to it. I find it an utterly impressive dinner party dish.

The one thing you do need to have, and something I did not up until now, is a nice large pan with even heating. Even heating at different temperatures is even more impressive, and I used my new Breville non-stick electric frying pan. This pan is designed to saute, fry and steam, but as far as I’m concerned, it’s simply a perfect paella pan.

paella

An array of gorgeous Breville appliances have moved into my house and we are becoming firm friends. So far It’s been a bit like driving a Maserati after years in a vintage VW, but I’m embracing this exquisite technology with much joy and gratitude. I will be working with the South African marketing team of this wonderful Australian brand for the next year.

paella

A few notes on my ingredients.…….

I adore prawns but they are not sustainable and are super expensive, so I opted for an all SASSI green list array of fruits de mer. The mussels were caught locally and were alive and fresh when I got them from Oceanjewels earlier, and I used farmed Cob and local calamari.

Free range chicken thigh fillets made up the meat portion along with a delicious Spanish chorizo that was the perfect level of spice for me.

I just love how everything gets cooked together for optimal flavour transference. I like to saute the chorizo first to release its oils then set it aside and brown the chicken. I added very little extra olive oil and used a combination of fish and chicken stock. Try and use the best possible stock you can find, it makes a big difference with paella.

paella

Ingredients

• 2-3T olive oil
  • 2 pinch’s saffron soaked in two tablespoons of hot water
  • 100g chorizo, finely sliced
  • 280g – 300g boneless, skinless chicken thigh filets (8 thigh fillets)
  • 350 – 400g white fish fillets cut into large chunks
  • 1 onion finely chopped
  • 1 red pepper, cored and finely diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • ½ glass of dry white wine
  • 1 x 400g tin chopped peeled tomatoes
  • 1 ½t-smoked paprika
  • ½ dried chilli flakes (optional)
  • 500g mussels in shell
  • 200g calamari, cut into rings
  • 500g Arborio rice
  • 1 – 1.2litres chicken / fish stock
  • Handful parsley, finely chopped
  • Salt and pepper
  • Lemon wedges to serve

Instructions

1. Heat the stock on a separate pot and keep this warm on the stove
  2. Turn the Breville electric frying pan on 8 (medium high heat) and fry the chorizo sausage until the oils start to release, about 4 minutes. Remove and set aside.
  3. Cut the filleted chicken thighs into large chunks (roughly quarters) and fry in the chorizo oil until they just start browning on the outside. Do not cook through. Remove and set aside.
  4. Add a tablespoon of olive oil if necessary and fry the fish fillet pieces very quickly to seal. Remove and set aside.
  5. Add another 1 - 2 tablespoons of olive oil and fry the onion and red pepper until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the crushed garlic, tomatoes, saffron in water and wine, allowing this to reduce and thicken slightly. Add the Arborio rice and stir to coat. Cover with about 800ml of the stock, spread it out evenly and then let this simmer gently with the lid on at temperature mark 4 – 6 (alternating) for 10 - 12 minutes. Try not to stir too much. If it looks like its drying out, add a little more stock.
  6. Remove the lid, ensure there is still some liquid, and add the calamari, fish, chicken and mussels to the paella, placing this evenly around. Push the mussels into the sauce. Close the lid and simmer gently for 5 – 7 minutes on between 4 and 6.
  7. Turn the electric frying pan off. Scatter over freshly chopped parsley and lemon wedges. Keep the lid on to stay warm.

* This post has been sponsored by Breville South Africa.

paella

Visit my Drizzle and Dip Facebook page or Google+ to get updates of all my posts or subscribe up in the top right.

I can also be found enthusiastically pinning beautiful food images on Pinterest, and snapping pics of my life in Cape Town and what I eat on Instagram

, , , ,

27 Responses to paella

1. Laura (Tutti Dolci) July 22, 2014 at 7:54 pm #

Your paella looks mouthwatering and so aromatic!

2. Aisha July 22, 2014 at 9:15 pm #

I follow you since time ago but I never comment. But today I saw your paella and as I’m spanish… I decided to leave a comment 🙂
    It looks very good, the only thing is that paella never has chorizo in it. But the rest of ingredients are fine 😉

3. Irene @ {a swoonful of sugar} July 23, 2014 at 2:03 am #

The paella looks incredible! Love the vibrant colours in your photography. Your site is a new inspiration for me, thank you so much for sharing!

4. Lori July 23, 2014 at 8:17 am #

Love the styling of this Sam and that Breville pan sounds like the perfect vessel to cook it in. Delicious!

5. Sam July 23, 2014 at 8:59 am #

Thanks Irene 🙂

6. Sam July 23, 2014 at 9:00 am #

Hi Aisha – yes I know that chorizo is not strictly traditional but I just LOVE it so much in paella. I hope you will forgive me.
    best
    Sam 🙂

7. Aisha July 23, 2014 at 9:05 am #

Hi Sam… sure… no problem 😉
    best regards! 🙂

8. Marie July 23, 2014 at 11:22 am #

Hi

I also LOVE paella with chorizo! Having been lucky enough to visit Barcelona a couple of times, I always spend time in the La Boqueira but have not been able to find Bomba rice (an authentic paella rice). Does anyone know where it can be sourced from in South Africa?

Great blog, Sam – enjoy your project with Breville!

9. Suné Moolman July 23, 2014 at 1:21 pm #

Perfection! I can just imagine how amazing it tastes.
    I’ve been checking out some of the Breville merchandise, thanks for the heads up.
    Also, I am LOVING the bowl you used for the paella. Is it ceramic and was it made locally?

10. Sarah | Drool-Worthy July 23, 2014 at 3:52 pm #

This looks sooo yummy! And beautiful pictures 🙂

11. Monique July 23, 2014 at 4:02 pm #

Looks amazing! When does the saffron go in?

12. Sam July 23, 2014 at 4:11 pm #

Hi Monique -ooo thanks – will go add that bit. With the tomatoes. Thanks
    sam

13. Sam July 23, 2014 at 4:11 pm #

Thnaks Sarah 🙂

14. Sam July 23, 2014 at 4:13 pm #

HI Sune. The products are great it is literally like Christmas every day for me when I get a chance to play with them. The bowls and plate (front pic) are MUD. It is a South African range and I just love them. I think they are bazsed in Parys.

15. Sam July 23, 2014 at 4:15 pm #

Thanks Marie. I am also interested to know where to get this rice. I know Giovanni’s in Green Point stocks a Paella rice – but it seems the same as arborio. I will chat to them when next Im there. I will also keep my eye out for it elsewhere.

16. Sam July 23, 2014 at 4:16 pm #

Lolly pop – Im just loving this frying pan – so retro and SO non-stick. Even heating throughout. I just sauted a whole bunch of leeks and like butter. After cooking on gas – its nice to have an option.

17. Thalia @ butter and brioche July 25, 2014 at 5:16 am #

yum this is a seriously good looking paella.. hands down one of the best ive seen in a while. definitely will be giving this recipe a go, looks TOO delicious!

18. Wendy July 28, 2014 at 8:53 am #

Looks fabulous, will definatly try this, as is do try lots of your sharing – many thanks 🙂
    My husband has a quick trip to S Africa next week, just wondering if your new book is out?
    cheers
    wendy in perth

19. Sam July 28, 2014 at 11:42 am #

HI Wendy, my book is only being published in March nect year. Hopefully you or your husband will pop back then.
    sam

20. Sam July 28, 2014 at 11:43 am #

Thanks so much Thalia 🙂

21. jordi July 29, 2014 at 3:16 pm #

OMG, please don’t add chorizo to paella this is not a pizza.

22. jordi July 29, 2014 at 3:20 pm #

Ups, sorry just read the comments, looks like you know it.
    Anyway i guess it would taste good.

23. Sam July 30, 2014 at 2:04 pm #

HI Jordi, I have a good Spanish friend and he said although its not traditional it is the kind of dish that is very flexible, people are always adding different things. I totally love chorizo with it and since its my recipe I can do whatever I want. Cheers, Sam 🙂

24. Fatima March 30, 2015 at 6:10 pm #

Hi
    I am Muslim n in our butchers in south Africa I have never come across chorizo. What exactly is it n wat can I substitute it with.???

25. Sam March 31, 2015 at 9:59 am #

Hi Fatima – you can just leave it out.

1. Wednesday Slice - Cake 'n' Knife - July 23, 2014

[…] I would give anything to have this paella for dinner […]

2. A Pot Of Spanish Paella Full Of Mussels | Hungry Peepor - September 24, 2015