raspberry and limoncello ice cream

raspberry and limoncello ice cream

Raspberries and lemon go well together as flavour partners so I thought why not add Limoncello instead? A splash of booze in ice cream improves the texture and makes things a little more grown up.

raspberry ice cream with limoncello

I havent added too much so it doesn’t take over the party, but I adore the refreshing citrus it gives this creamy ice cream.

I made the base in my Breville 800 Class Mixer which aside from being stunningly beautiful in matt stainless steel, makes the process virtually effortless. I whipped all the ingredients to a wonderful fluffy mass before running it through my ice cream machine. I’ve found it necessary to do all the whipping as per the recipe, and after the cream is added, to whip it so that the texture is fluffy and thick. This vastly improves the overall texture of the ice cream.

raspberry and limoncello ice cream

You can use fresh raspberries if they are in season, but I used frozen and allowed them to thaw.

Recipe – Super easy – makes about 800ml

• 230 – 240g raspberries, fresh or frozen
  • 1 cup sugar, divided
  • 3T Limoncello
  • 2T lemon juice
  • 2 large free-range eggs
  • 2 cups cream
  • 1 cup milk

Put the raspberries in a bowl with half a cup of the sugar, the Limoncello and lemon juice, stir and allow to macerated for a min of 2 hours in the fridge. If you are using frozen, they will need to thaw and the sugar dissolve. I did this over night. If you are using fresh, you will need to stir these a few times ensuring that they get mashed up.

Whisk the eggs in the stand mixer for about 2 minutes. Slowly add the other 1/2 cup of sugar and continue to mix for 3 minutes until light, pale and fluffy.

Pour in the cream and whisk, then add and milk and continue to whisk for another minute or so until it starts to thicken. Add the mashed up raspberries and give it a quick mix to incorporate. Transfer to an ice cream machine and churn according to the manufacturers instructions until it has set.

Decant this into a storage container, cover and freeze immediately in the coldest part of your freezer until ready to serve.

raspberry and limoncello ice cream

* Disclaimer * This post has been sponsored by Breville South Africa. I am working on a few projects with their marketing team, including developing recipes using these amazing appliances. Breville appliances are exclusively available at @Home nationwide.

Visit my Drizzle and Dip Facebook page or Google+ to get updates of all my posts or subscribe up in the top right.

I can also be found enthusiastically pinning beautiful food images on Pinterest, and snapping pics of my life in Cape Town and what I eat on Instagram and Steller

, , , , ,

21 Responses to raspberry and limoncello ice cream

1. Sheena @ Tea and Biscuits January 15, 2015 at 3:36 pm #

Your ice cream looks fantastic! I’ve never tasted Limoncello, I’ll need to look out for it 🙂

2. Sam January 15, 2015 at 4:21 pm #

HI Sheena – thank you and its very lemony 🙂

3. Nathalie January 15, 2015 at 4:47 pm #

Love the flavours..now we need the recipe for limoncello!

4. Monica January 15, 2015 at 6:42 pm #

Great post i love lemoncello. I have a Breville convection oven and love it more than my large oven.

5. Michelle @ Hummingbird High January 15, 2015 at 7:15 pm #

Wow, what a flavor combination! Also, I love the trick of booze in ice cream — I learned it from a Food52 article column a few months ago, and the alcohol apparently helps prevents ice cream getting icy and shardy and keeping it as smooth as possible. I can only imagine what the limoncello is doing for this beautiful recipe!

6. Rebecca @ DisplacedHousewife January 15, 2015 at 7:38 pm #

This looks so yummy!! I can’t wait to try this one.

7. MB @ Bourbon and Brown Sugar January 16, 2015 at 1:20 pm #

Oh yum! What a fantastic flavor combination… and I’m a big fan of popping a bit of booze in ice cream 🙂

8. Claire January 16, 2015 at 5:38 pm #

Does the T mean tablespoon or teaspoon??
    Thanks 🙂

9. Thalia @ butter and brioche January 16, 2015 at 10:50 pm #

Limoncello happens to be one of my favourite liqueur flavours ever.. but never have I tried it in an ice cream before. This is a must make ice cream for me!

10. Sam January 18, 2015 at 7:12 pm #

Nice Thalia. The flavour is very subtle here but the alcohol gives the ice cream a lovely texture.

11. Sam January 18, 2015 at 7:13 pm #

Hi Claire the T is for tablespoon, t is for teaspoon.

12. Sam January 18, 2015 at 7:15 pm #

Thanks Michelle – yes I love adding a splash of booze to ice cream to loosen up the texture. Its especially good in sorbet. I must gho and find that Food 52 article.

13. Sam January 18, 2015 at 7:16 pm #

Hi Nathalie, I actually would love to make limoncello, its not difficult at all. I just need to get a hell of a lot of really great lemons 🙂

14. Trish January 19, 2015 at 6:38 pm #

oooooh this just sounds awesome. We have some orangcello we got for Christmas that we’ve been slowly sipping on. Your photos are beautiful!

15. Sam January 19, 2015 at 7:12 pm #

Hi Trish. Thanks so much! – I love the sound of Oragcello. Never heard of it before.

16. Francis landivar January 28, 2015 at 1:09 pm #

Great Ice cream!

17. Sam January 28, 2015 at 2:05 pm #

Thanks Francis 🙂

18. Jenny Farrell August 15, 2015 at 8:04 pm #

I really want to make this, looks and sounds fantastic, combo of favors I love, but I’m concerned about the use of raw eggs in this recipe. Most every ice cream I’ve made that includes eggs calls for making a cooked custard mixture with the eggs, sugar and cream or milk. Any thoughts about safety would be appreciated – thanks!

19. Sam August 17, 2015 at 9:28 am #

Hi Jenny, Im not too sure why people find raw eggs an issue as they are perfectly fine to eat raw if they are fresh. We eat soft eggs etc. Soft eggs are raw yolks. Royal icing is icing sugar and raw egg white. Many people actually add a raw egg to drinks, for protein. My base recipe hre is fashioned around a Ben & Jerrys recipe which uses raw egg and they built an entire ice cream empire on this. Haagen Dasz contains raw egg too. I have been making ice cream for 12 years using raw eggs and Im still going strong :-). If you are pregnant and have been advised to stear clear of raw food then I would suggest not eating this. Or find a recipe out there that uses a cooked custard version. Overall I love the freshness and cleaner cream taste that this ice cream delivers vs a cooked custard which tend to be far richer using around 6 egg yolks.(although I definitely do make those too)

20. Jenny August 17, 2015 at 2:52 pm #

Thanks for response, Sam. I read up (shoul’ve done that before posting!) and found the big salmonella scare seems to be overblown. I am healthy, used fresh, clean eggs from reliable source, and made the recipe. Only change I made was to sieve raspberry mixture because I don’t like seeds. It was spectacular, taste and texture the best of any ice cream I have made!

21. Sam August 19, 2015 at 9:50 am #

Oh Jenny I am so thrilled to hear, made my day. I agree, raspberry seeds can be very annoying. 🙂