When Breville asked me to create a recipe using their jaffle maker, I knew immediately I wanted to do something sweet. This fabulous non-stick machine, seals and cuts your sandwiches, making perfect triangle pie-like pockets which are perfect when you have saucy fillings – like these caramelised pear toasties with oozy Gorgonzola cheese.
I have used raisin bread, which is very much like brioche in texture and works wonderfully for this recipe, but any soft white loaf will work well. These decadent toasted sandwiches hover between sweet and savoury with the caramel pears complimenting the salty blue cheese perfectly.
Try and use pears that are ripe and ready to eat but not overly so. If they are too ripe they will disintegrate in the hot sauce
Recipe – make 4 – 6 toasted sandwiches
- 500g sliced pears (bout 4 ripe pears)
- 30g butter
- 70g demarara or dark brown sugar
- 8 – 12 slices raisin bread or brioche
- 50g butter, melted for brushing
- 100g – 150g (approx. 25g per sandwich) – Gorgonzola (or similar creamy blue cheese)
Melt the butter in a non-stick frying pan and toss in the pears to coat. Sprinkle the sugar over and allow this to bubble for 3 – 5 minutes (depending on how ripe the pears are), shaking the pan ever now and again.
When the pears have started to soften and a caramel has formed, take them off the heat and allow to cool in the pan.
To make the sandwiches heat the Breville toasted sandwich maker and lightly spray the surface with cooking spray. Assemble the sandwiches by topping a slice of bread with pears and crumbling the blue cheese. Close with another slice of bread, and then brush each side with melted butter.
Place these in the toaster and seal. Allow to toast until golden brown.
* Disclaimer * This post has been sponsored by Breville South Africa. I am working on a few projects with their marketing team, including developing recipes using these amazing appliances. Breville appliances are exclusively available at @Home nationwide.
I look forward to connecting with you again in the future.