fennel and radish salad with lemon and olive oil

fennel and radish salad with lemon and olive oil

I’m posting this recipe again because seriously I can’t get enough of it. It has now become a weekly thing in my house.  It’s hard to believe that a couple of years ago I didn’t like fennel and found the liquorice aniseed flavour intolerable. Now I crunch my way through bulb after bulb adding a variety of things on the side. I love to stuff this salad into toasted whole wheat pitas with left over grilled salmon or roast chicken. I pile it onto open sandwiches with seed bread and hummus. It pretty much goes with most things. Its delicious with raw or cooked fish and grilled chicken. The other day I turned it into a stunning slaw by adding shredded cabbage and a dollop of my easy home-made mayonnaise.

Super healthy fresh, citrussy and packed with flavour and crunch #winning.

It’s a Jamie Oliver recipe and there are a few things you need to do to ensure its a success:

Slice the vegetables as thinly as you can. If you want to take ALL the effort out the prep and to make it in under 5 minutes, use a food processor with a very fine slice setting. I set my Breville Whizz Pro. Alternatively use a mandolin.

To make the vegetables extra crunchy, soak them in a bowl of ice-cold water with ice cubes added. This transforms them into the crispest texture that will have you crunching your way through this salad with much glee. Do all of this immediately before you want to serve this salad.

I also whip out the finest extra virgin olive oil I have available. Because it is such an important component of this salad you really want to use the best.

You are basically working on a ratio of 2:1 fennel to radish and then add the dressing ingredients to your taste. You may want it more lemony or you may like more salt. I only use Maldon salt. It is by far my favourite salt ever.

I now also use a little of the fennel stalk above the bulb. The light green part. When sliced finely its delicious. I also like to finely chop up a small handful of the leaves to decorate and flavour my salad.

Recipe – serves 4 (adapted from Jamie Oliver)

• 1 fennel bulb (white and light green parts only)
  • 150g radishes
  • 2 T lemon juice (1 lemon more or less)
  • 5 T olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon Maldon salt
  • lots of freshly ground black pepper

, , , , , ,

13 Responses to fennel and radish salad with lemon and olive oil

1. Fiona Williamson February 27, 2015 at 11:47 am #

Couldn’t agree more – my favourite is sliced fennel, orange & almond salad. A good winter salad!

2. Signe Rousseau February 27, 2015 at 4:31 pm #

Looks lovely – huge fan of fennel too! I made a fennel tarte tatin the other day (So Good!), and couldn’t figure out what to do with all the stalks and fronds, so I stashed them in the freezer. A week later I took them out and infused some milk with them for a couple of days, and then used that for fennel ice cream. I’ve tried this before with fennel seeds, but the flavour of fresh fennel is just so much brighter. Wonderful stuff.

3. Cecile@My Yellow Farmhouse February 27, 2015 at 4:39 pm #

I think fennel is like Scotch in that both can be ‘an acquired taste’… !! ; o ) This salad looks delicious – light, crunchy and flavorful !!

4. Sam February 27, 2015 at 5:07 pm #

Hi Signe, how stunning. I love the idea of fennel ice cream. Makes so much sense to me. Also the tartin.

5. Sam February 27, 2015 at 5:08 pm #

I must try that Fiona – sounds amazing.

6. Sam February 27, 2015 at 5:09 pm #

Well Cecile then I have acquired the taste for both. Thankfully.

7. Rebecca @ DisplacedHousewife February 27, 2015 at 8:10 pm #

Nothing makes me happier than a simple dressing of lemon and olive oil…it’s perfect. Watermelon radishes would be so pretty with this!! xx

8. Kristin Hale March 1, 2015 at 4:58 pm #

I made this yesterday. Delicious and so simple– thank you for the recipe.
    Signe– I’d love to try your ice-cream!

9. Sam March 2, 2015 at 8:18 am #

Awesome Kristin, so glad you enjoyed it

10. carolyn March 16, 2015 at 2:00 am #

This was a perfect seasonal salad for March! In order to stretch it for a few more servings, I actually served this over plain pasta as well and it was delicious both as a stand alone salad and a pasta dish.

11. Sam March 16, 2015 at 7:00 am #

Hi Carolyn, wow – Im glad it worked with pasta – a nice crunch.

12. Kim March 24, 2015 at 12:29 am #

Is there dill in the salad, too?

13. Sam March 24, 2015 at 6:57 am #

Hi Kim, not dill but fennel leaves (so similar)