decadent chocolate nutella brownies

decadent chocolate nutella brownies

These chocolate Nutella brownies should come with a health warning as they are ridiculously decadent, and I apologise for that. I know its January and we are all trying to kick off the new year on a healthier note. I made them in December for a dinner party and wanted to use up some of the Nutella I had left over from a shoot, so I’m posting this a little after the fact.

nutella chocolate brownies

I have taken my all time favorite brownie recipe from my cookbook Sweet and replaced some of the peanut butter with Nutella and it pretty much takes these over the edge. They are rich and dense with a strong chocolate flavour. If you are looking for something a little less indulgent, I would suggest leaving the Nutella out.

decadent chocolate nutella brownies

I promise in the next few months I will be bringing loads of healthier recipes to Drizzle and Dip as I embark on a better lifestyle journey. I don’t want to use the ‘D’ word because what I need to do is so much bigger than just loosing a few kilograms. I need to claw my way back to a level of fitness I feel comfortable with and a weight I can feel happier being. I’m going to need all the support I can get.

Cooks Notes ~ I finished these brownies off with a thin layer of Nutella and chopped up roasted hazelnuts because I think they look a whole lot prettier that way, and brownies are definitely not one of my favourite foods to photograph. They tend to look like a homogenous brown mess. A delicious mess, but a mess never the less. I am also the type that thinks a brownie must have nuts involved, and toasted hazelnuts are my favourite here. If I am not adding them to the top, I would definitely include them in the mix.

Recipe – Makes about 16 squares

• 400 g butter, room temperature
  • 400 g quality dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
  • 500 g castor sugar
  • 6 large free-range eggs
  • 10 ml vanilla extract
  • 250 g cake flour
  • 5 ml baking powder
  • 80ml / 1/3 cup Nutella (plus extra to decorate – optional)
  • 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped

Preheat the oven to 170 °C. Line a 21 x 28-cm metal brownie tin with baking paper (on all sides).

Melt the butter and chocolate in a double-boiler, then set aside to cool. Beat the castor sugar, eggs and vanilla extract together until light and fluffy and more or less doubled in volume. Stir in the cooled chocolate and butter mixture.

Sift the flour and baking powder in a separate bowl and add this to the chocolate batter and briefly mix to combine.

Tip half the mixture into the prepared brownie tin and dollop the Nutella in blotches evenly across the surface. Use a skewer to swirl each mound slightly into the batter. Pour the remaining chocolate batter over this and spread to distribute evenly. Bake for 45 minutes; it will still be a bit wobbly.

Leave to cool completely before removing from the tin and cutting.

My cookbook Sweet is available in all good book stores in South Africa and is a collection of delicious sweet treats from. If you love baking and desserts this is for you.

decadent chocolate nutella brownies

Find me on Instagram

, , , , ,

15 Responses to decadent chocolate nutella brownies

1. Lili January 29, 2016 at 10:48 am #

Hi Sam, this is one delicious decadent dessert, yum!! It’s a great thing to eat healthier and take care of our bodies but oh my sometimes we need this kind of treat! And we deserve it! 🙂 Great yummy photos as always… 🙂

2. Kate W January 29, 2016 at 11:13 am #

Oh dear god…

3. lynne hoareau January 29, 2016 at 1:47 pm #

Oh boy ! there goes my thoughts on having a salad weekend !!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 . x

4. Lynn | The Road to Honey January 29, 2016 at 4:06 pm #

Oh my. . .she says as her eyes bug out of her head and her tongue falls to the floor. These look absolutely divine. . .but then again. . .when you combine brownies with Nutella could the end result be anything but divine?

5. Lizann January 29, 2016 at 5:24 pm #

My dad brought me your cookbook from South Africa…..oh dear, the “D” word won’t exist in my house for a long time…..

6. DisplacedHousewife January 29, 2016 at 7:19 pm #

These look beyond decadent!! xoxo

7. orangeduke January 30, 2016 at 12:45 pm #

Sam, Nutella does come with a health warning in some countries. It’s the work of the dark side – main ingredients are sugar and palm oil. As far as I know, the palm oil used is not certified sustainable p.o. and is therefor contributing to global warming (slash and burn fires contributing more CO2 than Germany’s entire output). The palm oil industry is also contributing to habitat loss and Nutella might as well be labled ‘contains Orangutan’. Anyway, pleased to see that you specify free-range eggs.

8. orangeduke January 30, 2016 at 5:35 pm #

I stand corrected – Ferrero say that all theor palm oil is RSPO certified.

9. Sam February 1, 2016 at 11:10 am #

Thanks for your feedback Orangeduke.

10. Sam February 1, 2016 at 11:12 am #

Hi Lazann, that is so nice to hear and thak you. I hope you get much deliciousness out of it.

11. Sam February 1, 2016 at 11:13 am #

Thanks Lili- I guess its all about balance, anyway, for now Im needing to lighten the load.

12. Sabrina February 6, 2016 at 9:33 pm #

These look amazing! Anything with nutella is always ok in my book 🙂

13. Gemma February 18, 2016 at 1:24 am #

After seeing these ah-mazing brownies all I can say is…”to hell with the new year’s resolution!”, hee hee. I wouldn’t mind doing an extra-intense workout session if these cuties would be waiting for me at home. ;-p

Super decadent and luscios!!!

14. Sam February 18, 2016 at 9:52 am #

Awesome Gemma – enjoy. 🙂

15. Rose March 14, 2017 at 11:57 pm #

Instead of Nutella, please use a healthier alternative — Munkijo Organic Coconut Spread, available at http://www.munkijo.com. Low-gycemic, no cholesterol, preservatives or harmful ingredients. Made with only two ingredients which are easy to pronounce. Healthy and delicious!