Pretty much every day of the week I eat half a cup of All-Bran (low GI) with Skim milk for breakfast. Washed down with green tea. I like the routine and feel lighter and healthier for it. On week ends I may break out into a poached egg on rye toast, and if there is a hangover, bacon becomes essential.
I love breakfast and a good bacon and egg fry up with pork sausages, fried tomatoes etc is a rare treat. I find french toast made with white baguette, topped with crispy bacon and maple syrup drizzled all over it quite delectable. So these waffles were a step out but the addition of the fruit took the edge off the guilt.
My perfect waffle is one that is crispy on the outside but still light. That soaks up so much syrup, preferably maple, that it almost turns into a koeksister, and then must be hot and smothered in ice cream. Just like the log cabin waffles at the Spur in my memory.
The batter needs to be mixed carefully and lightly to prevent the waffles from becoming too tough.
what you will need:
- 100g butter
- 240g (500ml) flour
- 2 tsp /10ml baking powder
- 2ml salt (pinch)
- 20ml sugar (sweet) = 1 Tbsp plus a tsp or 1tsp / 5ml for savoury
- 3 eggs seperated
- 400ml milk
- 1 large banana (optional)
- 1/2 cup – 1 cup blueberries (I used frozen)
how to make:
- Heat a waffle iron and spray lightly with a cooking spray
- Melt the butter to just melting point on the stove or in the microwave
- Separate the eggs and beat the egg whites
- Beat the yolks with the milk
- Add all the dry ingredients into a bowl, mix and make a well in the middle
- Pour the melted butter and egg/ milk mixture into the well and mix briefly to combine (can use a whisk)
- Mash the banana and add with the blueberries to the mix
- Add the beaten egg whites and briefly stir through to combine
- Scoop out about 2 dessertspoons full of mix into the middle of the waffle iron and close.
- The waffles are done when they are golden brown and slip off the iron easily
The moisture content from the banana and blueberries made these a bit softer vs crispy and I drizzled honey all over which made it nice and breakfasty.
Top with additional fresh fruit and pour over whatever your heart desires.