This recipe was given to me by a foodie friend who said they were sensational, and its been in my ‘blog -to-do-file’ for a while.
I tweaked it to include the very delicious Verlaque Balsamic Reduction with raspberries, and what a win it was.
What you need to make:
- 500 gms Button Mushrooms
- 4-5 Cloves Garlic finely chopped or squashed
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 3 Tbl spoons lemon juice
- 100ml Verlaque balsamic reduction with raspberries (you could also substitiute this with verjuice)
- 2 Tbl spoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbl spoons chopped chives
- Salt ( about 1 tsp of Maldon) and black pepper
How to make:
You could quarter or slice up the mushrooms which I think would be very nice, and would be necessary if they were quite big, but I left them whole.
Put all the ingredients, except the mushrooms into pot and bring to gentle boil.
Add the mushrooms and simmer for about 5 minutes.
Transfer into a jar or any container leaving them in the liquid to cool overnight, and be warned that it is very tempting to eat them at this stage.
The flavours infuse and deepen overnight and the the fruity balsamic reduction adds a lovely little zing.
These pickled mushrooms are fantastic:
- sprinkled on a salad
- served with crusty bread as a sandwich
- as part of tapas or meze for a starter, lunch or picnic
- or anyway you desire….
The juice makes a delicious dressing once the mushrooms have been used.