This is a different way to bake new potatoes, locking in all the natural flavour and imparting a slight smokiness. The smoked butter and smoked salt just takes this up a notch, while the thyme really infuses with the spuds giving them a lovely herby character.
Rosemary would work equally as well and is always a perfect potato partner.
It’s kind of a combination between steaming ‘en papillote’ and baking and requires the minimum amount of effort.
what you will need:
- I bag new potatoes
- a good few generous knobs of smoked butter (or butter)
- smoked salt / fleur de sel / sea salt flakes
- 6 – 8 sprigs of thyme
How to make these:
- pre heat the oven to 180 C (I used my convection oven)
- dampen one large piece of newspaper and place a large piece of greaseproof paper on top of this
- rinse the new potatoes and pile them up in the middle of the grease proof paper with the thyme sprigs and dot over the butter
- sprinkle with salt and wrap up tightlyand then fold the newspaper snugly around this making sure the edges are tucked underneath
- bake for 90 minutes (checking at an hour) until nice and soft
- I re-wet the newspaper twice during the cooking process and when the newspaper completely dried out