I get very excited when I play around with some the products we have developed at The Smoking Shed. The smoked red bell pepper is definitely one if those special ingredients that is so versatile, and adds such an incredible layer of depth and flavour.
Today I made these delicious pork meatballs. Initially I was going to go with a few classic flavours like mustard, sage and parsley and then as I was making them up, I decided to ratchet the taste up a notch with the addition of the smoked red bell pepper sprinkle.
This is what you need to make these very easy porkballs that are robust, succulent and aromatic.
- 1 small white onion very finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 small green chilli finely chopped (this is very mild so add more chilli if you like a kick)
- 2Tbs smoked red bell pepper
- 5oogms pork mince
- 1 free range egg
- 2 Tbs (heaped) Dijon mustard
- small handful of parsley – chopped
- about 4 – 5 sage leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of fine breadcrumbs * I always have these in the freezer made from leftover fancy bread that has gone stale
- a generous pinch of salt (I used our smoked fleur de sel) and a good grinding of black pepper
- olive oil for frying
How to make:
- fry the finely chopped onion, garlic, chilli and smoked red bell pepper in a bit of olive oil until soft (not brown) – this allows the flavour of the pepper to open up. I used a bit of my chilli oil to add a little extra zing
- in a bowl add all the other ingredients and the onion mixture and mix well until all combined
- heat a pan with about 4 Tbs of olive oil
- roll the pork mixture into balls to the size of your choice. Small balls will be awesome for cocktail snacks and are quicker to cook
- fry the balls in the olive oil on a lowish heat until cooked through and golden
- drain on kitchen paper and serve
I found these to be succulent and delicious and can be served on their own with a nice salad. You could make up a simple sweet apple chutney, but I think too much sauce could mask the symphony of flavours going on here.
These would also be fabulous for picnics or roll into a patty and make an original burger.
* other recipes that include smoked dried red bell pepper sprinkle: