Writer, cookbook author, freelance chef and cooking teacher Sonia Cabano invited me to the launch of her fabulous new Luscious Food + Wine Affairs on Saturday. It was a market day brunch event that saw a bunch of us being taken to two fabulous local food markets, buying a few ingredients and then returning to the most exquisite house in Gardens where we all got stuck in and helped prepare a deletable brunch.
It was so much fun.
First up we visited the Neighbourgoods Market at the Biscuit Mill and all the photo’s I took on the day can be found on yesterdays blog post.
Sonia says: ‘The aim with the workshops is to encourage people to explore and have fun with food and wine in a cosy, domestic atmosphere, to share and celebrate. Everyone is welcome, from absolute beginners to seasoned gourmets. A convivial table is my idea of heaven, and eating well is our birthright”.
The Market Days are particularly close to Sonia’s heart as she has an abiding passion for small, local artisan producers and suppliers of good, natural and seasonal food.
I initially thought what a fantastic idea for tourists visiting cape Town to get a first hand and guided tour of our markets, and then the opportunity to eat locally produced food they helped prepare in a beautiful Cape Town home. It is of course this, but also a brilliant opportunity for any local person who is interested in food and its provenance to enjoy this inspiring experience with Sonia. This would be a wonderful event to plan with a group of friends, a supper club, a wine club, a birthday celebration, a corporate team building. Any excuse really.
Apart from the market day tours, Sonia will also be doing a series of Cooking classes for small groups of 8 – 12 people and they will all be hosted at Villa Awe. And yes you will be in awe.
Our brunch making and eating was helped along by a range of lovely wines from Badsberg in Rawsonville. I particularly enjoyed the Chardonnay which also won a Best Value 2012 wine award.
The menu that we all helped make on Saturday looked like this: (and I’ve decided that brunch is my new favourite meal).
- Berry brûlée – fresh berries with Greek yoghurt and caramel
- Ricotta buttermilk pancakes with maple syrup
- Eggs Benedict – learn to make perfect Hollandaise and poached eggs
- Creamy scrambled eggs with smoked salmon trout or avocado, rocket and tomato
- Oyster shots – raw oysters, seasoned with spicy salsa and vodka
- Kudu steak tartare with quails’ eggs and seasoning
- Sticky chipolatas with a rosemary-honey-mustard glaze (a recipe form my new cookbook)
- Breakfast antipasto platter with olives, cheese, deep-fried crumbed mozzarella balls, artichokes, charcuterie and pickles
- Market-bought breads and croissants with unsalted butter and preserves
- Coffee and chocolate
And, of course, plenty of Badsberg wines…..
Sonia is also bringing more tradition back with the launch of Luscious tea parties in December.
Find more in formation at Luscious Food+Wine Affairs FB page and follow Sonia’s food tweets on @lusciousCT on Twitter.
All the photos from the markets and the day can be found on my Drizzle and Dip Facebook page
I look forward to connecting with you again in the future.