You know those golden recipes you keep making again and again which are too good not to share more than once? Well this is one of those recipes. I have made these scones using pumpkin, Parmesan and thyme, and a version with butternut and chives and they were both fabulous. I love them so much I decided to make them again using a mixture of herbs and I think these may be my favourite. I used a combination of rosemary, basil and thyme to give these savoury cheese scones a strong herbaceous kick.
I chose this recipe to make a recipe film in collaboration with the very talented Cape Town photographer and filmaker Jonathan Tait. He shoots naturally and intuitively, and I’m so thrilled to have had the opportunity to make this film together. I think its beautiful. The video was edited by Jonathan and Eden Weiss.
Recipe – makes 10 – 12 scones
- 350g butternut, peeled and cut up into cubes
- 21/2 cups self raising flour
- 1 cup mature Cheddar, grated
- 1/2t salt
- 1/2t black pepper
- 4T finlely chopped herbs (rosemary, basil, thyme)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1T buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 200 C (400 F)
- Steam the butternut in a metal basket or sieve over boiling water (lid on). Cook for 10 - 15 minutes until soft. Set aside to cool and dry off in the air. Blend in a food processor or with an immersion blender until smooth (you could also mash by hand using a potato masher)
- Mix the flour, cheese, herbs, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Add the buttermilk and butternut puree to the dry mixture and lightly mix it until it is just combined.
- Turn the mixture out onto a lightly floured surface and knead slightly to form a dough.
- Press the dough down to about 4-5cm and cut the scones using a 5 - 6cm cookie cutter and place on a baking sheet lined with silicone or baking paper.
- Mix the egg yolk and extra buttermilk together and brush the tops of the scones (NOT the sides)
- Bake in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes until golden brown.
- * You could mix up the cheeses and add Parmesan or Gruyere or a combination of these two
Find me on Instagram