tequila and beetroot bolognese with linguini

beetroot bolognaise with linguini

So here is my last recipe on my quest to use up and find new ways with a large bag of beetroot. I was inspired to make a bolognese from the latest and first edition of South Africa’s GoodHousekeeping magazine.  There was a recipe for Borscht and Beef pasta which didn’t really appeal. I thought a more traditional bolognese would be better.

The tequila and fennel work really well here adding a massive amount of depth of flavour to this dish.

Recipe: (makes enough for about 4 people)

• 3Tbs olive oil
  • 1 onion finely chopped
  • 1/2 a medium fennel bulb finely chopped
  • 500gms lean beef mince
  • 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 1/4 cup of tequila (I used Patron Silver)
  • 2 Tbs tomato paste
  • 2 cups of grated beetroot
  • 1 tin of tomatoes
  • 250 ml beef stock (I use Nomu Fond)
  • 2 Tbs of chopped fennel leaves

Heat the olive oil in a large pan and fry the onion and fennel until its soft (about 5 minutes). Add the mince and brown.  Add the garlic and tequila and allow most of the liquid to evapourate (cook off). Add the tomato paste, tomatoes, beetroot and stock and slowly simmer for about an hour or even 2.  I really like my bolognese to cook over a very slow heat for longer in order to develop the flavour. Season with salt and pepper and the freshly chopped fennel leaves and serve with linguini or spaghetti, grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese.

I  loved the subtle earthy flavour of the beetroot coming through in this hearty bolognese.

**PS~ if you like my blog, please vote for it in the South African Blog awards (button on the right hand column near the top). Thank you

, ,

11 Responses to tequila and beetroot bolognese with linguini

1. Kristy November 7, 2011 at 6:44 pm #

Interesting idea, would definitely like to give it a try.

2. Sam November 7, 2011 at 6:55 pm #

Kristy, tequila is really nice in bolognese. The alcohol pretty much cooks off, but the flavour remains. This plus the beetroot, cooked for ages (of course) makes a very robust sauce.

3. Lori November 8, 2011 at 8:10 am #

Excellent idea Sammie x

4. Pieter November 8, 2011 at 8:35 am #

Lovely idea. Sounds amazing. Gonna make it sometime.

5. Sam November 8, 2011 at 9:16 am #

Thanks Pieter, I have recently started using tequila in my bolognese and love the flavour. The beetroot was also nice and not overpowering. It was still very bolognesey.

6. 4REAL November 8, 2011 at 11:45 am #

Got my vote!

7. Sam November 9, 2011 at 8:16 am #

Thanks Mr Dec 🙂

8. Christine November 15, 2011 at 6:50 pm #

Hey Foodies, Sam’s Pasta recipe has been selected by Knapkins to be featured in a Recipe Guessing Game. Invite fans to play: http://knapkins.com/guess_games/636?source=blog

1. Beetroot, carrot, apple and ginger juice | Drizzle and Dip - December 28, 2011

[…] tequila and beetroot bolognese with linguini […]

2. My food highlights for 2011 | Drizzle and Dip - December 29, 2011

[…] Oh and I loved playing around with tequila in my food: Patron XO ice cream, tequila and beetroot bolognese . […]

3. My food highlights for 2011 | - December 29, 2011

[…] Oh and I loved playing around with tequila in my food: Patron XO ice cream, tequila and beetroot bolognese . […]