tiramisu ice cream

by Sam on February 8, 2012

tiramisu ice cream

This is one of my recipes published in the February edition of Oprah magazine as part of the main food feature on ice cream.

I have had a love affair with ice cream for 20 years which started when I first left South Africa to travel the world and realised what real super premium ice cream was all about. Its the reason I bought a semi industrial Italian ice cream machine, and why I love playing around making various frozen desserts. I would not attempt to make it without one, but have included a method if you have the time and patience.

This is the ice cream version of the classic Italian dessert Tiramisu that is just a little bit decadent. Cut into slices, its a perfect end to a summer dinner party.

tiramisu ice cream

Serving Size: 4-6

tiramisu ice cream

Ingredients

• 150ml / 2/3 cup water
  • 150gms ¾ cup sugar
  • 250gms Mascarpone cheese
  • 250 gms of crème fraiche or sour cream
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 tsp instant coffee dissolved in 3Tbs hot water
  • 2 Tbs brandy or coffee liqueur
  • 90 gms boudoir biscuits broken into small pieces
  • cocoa powder for dusting

Instructions

1. Bring the water and 115gs of the sugar (½ cup) to the boil in a small pot until the sugar has dissolved. Allow the syrup to cool and chill in the fridge.
  2. Beat the cream fraiche, vanilla and Marscapone cheese in a bowl until blended. Add the chilled sugar syrup and mix briefly.
  3. Dissolve the coffee with the remaining water and sugar and allow to cool.
  4. Add the brandy or liqueur to the coffee mixture and set aside.
  5. By Hand
  6. Pour the mixture into a plastic tub and freeze for 4 hours. Beating it once half way through to break up the ice crystals.
  7. Machine
  8. Pour the mixture into the ice cream machine and churn until it is a thick consistency but not fully made.
  9. Line a loaf tin with cling wrap.
  10. Toss the broken up biscuit pieces in the coffee / brandy mixture.
  11. Spread a third of the cream mixture on the bottom of the loaf.
  12. Scatter over half the biscuits and lightly press in.
  13. Spread another third of the ice cream mixture and repeat with the remaining half of the biscuits. Finish off with the remaining third of the cream mixture.
  14. Cover and freeze until set.
  15. When you are ready to serve take the loaf out and allow it to soften slightly at room temperature and then tip out onto a serving plate. Sift cocoa powder over the top.

my ice cream feature in oprah magazine

PS: I look forward to connecting with you again in the future.

Alida February 8, 2012 at 8:15 am

Just fab S! I have a Tiramisu cake coming up on my blog. I’ve never stopped loving this classic dessert!

Hila February 8, 2012 at 9:55 am

Looks good!
I did something similar with twix and I added caramel to it to echo the twix a while back when Trevor asked for ideas for dessert using twix. I tried making regular tiramisu but the twix didn’t soak up the coffee so it didn’t set. Turned it into ice cream

Sam February 8, 2012 at 10:13 am

Thanks Ally, cant wait to see your cake :-)

Sam February 8, 2012 at 10:14 am

Ha ha Hila, this has happened to me before when I have turned something into ice cream :-)

Live to Eat February 8, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Wow, this looks delicious. Where can I get me a semi-industrial ice cream machine that doesn’t cost a small fortune? I need to be making granadilla gelato with all my granadillas! Beautiful pic.

Sam February 9, 2012 at 8:37 am

Bern I love my ice cream machine so much and love granadilla sorbet / gelato. You should get one, your kids will love you for it.

Lori February 9, 2012 at 10:23 am

Amazing – this looks so delectable! YUMMY!

Carolyn Jung February 10, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Love how you can make this without an ice cream maker, too. Oh my — my fave dessert in ice cream form. It doesn’t get better than that. ;)

Nina @ ambrosia February 10, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Tiramisu and ice cream are two of my favorite desserts…putting them together in one dish seems like a spectacular and delicious idea. This is something I definitely want to try out!

Mansi February 10, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Hi Sam! this looks awesome, and I have added your photo and recipe link it to my Must-Try Valentine recipe post! check it out:

charla hannibal March 4, 2013 at 10:44 pm

What are boudoir biscuits?
What could I substitute?

Sam March 5, 2013 at 7:59 am

HI Charla, boudoir biscuits are Italian finger sponge biscuits also known as (from all over the world – see the list below) – I don’t know of a substitute for tiramisu :

These iconic biscuits have gained many colourful regional names.
In Italy: Savoiardi (meaning “from Savoy”)
In Catalonia: “Melindro” [1]
In France: Biscuits à la cuillère (“Spoon cookies”) or boudoirs
In Spain: “Bizcochos de Soletilla” (“Soletilla sponges”)
In the UK: sponge-fingers, trifle sponges or boudoir cookies
In Portugal and Brazil: “Biscoitos de champanhe” (“champagne biscuits”)
In South Africa: Boudoir biscuits
In Persian: latifeh
In Dutch: lange vingers (“long fingers”)
In Germany: Löffelbiskuit (“spoon cookie”)
In Slovenia: bebi piškoti (“baby cookies”)
In Serbia/Croatia: piškote/i
In the Philippines: “broas”
In Argentina: “vainillas” (“vanillas”)
In Chile: “Galletas de champaña” (“champagne biscuits”)
In Austria: “Biskotte”
In Romania: Pi?coturi

Thanks

charla hannibal March 5, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I think these are what we call “lady fingers” here in Texas. Thanks for the reply. I will give this a go.

Just a man March 11, 2013 at 2:21 pm

You spelled freche it’s fraiche.

Sam March 11, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Hello. Shew thanks for letting me know about the big spelling error on my site. As a blogger we don’t have editors, we do it all ourselves, and whilst we endeavor to make everything perfect, errors to slip through.

Sandy July 7, 2013 at 10:49 pm

PLEASE—PUT THIS IN ENGLISH? I need this recipe so I can read it. I have no idea what gm and mi’s are. I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT. It looks delicious and I love tiramisu cake. THANK YOU!

Sam July 8, 2013 at 9:44 am

Hi Sandy, I must say I am a little taken aback by this message requesting my recipe in English. It is written in the English language? I can only assume you are referring to the measurements, which once again are very much written in English. England, like South Africa, and many parts of the world are on the metric system and these are the measurements I use. I have added a conversion page on my blog for for the easy conversion of the measurements for those countries still on the Imperial system. You will also find dozens of websites that can convert your measurement for you on the internet. Simply Google these and simply convert the measurements.