a delectable cocktail with strawberries and coconut water

by Sam on October 29, 2012

strawberry cocktail

coconut water cocktail

strawberry and coconut water cocktail

I have wanted to experiment and make drinks using coconut water since I first sipped this delectable nectar straight out a coconut a few years ago. It was love at first sip and I’ve been looking for it ever since.

Only recently have fresh coconuts shown up on our shelves, so when Tandy came to cook her bouillabaisse at my house recently, I decided to make this drink. I had strawberries which are now in season and thought this would be a perfect partner and not overpower the subtle flavour of the coconut water.

You can make this a ‘virgin’ (no alcohol) or add a splash of white rum to make it more exciting. Vodka will also do the trick. It’s so delicious I really should give it a name. Any suggestions are welcome?

The fun and games started when two women with one large kitchen knife attempted to hack the coconut open. It is not as easy as it looks in movies. It requires some brute force and a level of accuracy, and its at times like these that I do wish I had a man around. Anyway, my coconut came with a little picture instruction booklet on where to cut the top off which we eventually managed to do.

The impossible part came later when we tried to crack the whole thing open to get to the white fleshy bits. I opted instead to give Tandy the fruit to take homes since I’m not a big fan of coconut flesh anyway.

a delectable cocktail with strawberries and coconut water

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 10 minutes

Serving Size: 2 cocktails

a delectable cocktail with strawberries and coconut water

Ingredients

• 1 cup (250ml) of fresh coconut water
  • 1 cup (250 ml) strawberries hulled and sliced
  • 3 T of sugar syrup or agave nectar
  • 1 shot (as much as you like) of white rum *optional

Instructions

1. To make the sugar syrup you need to boil sugar and water together in a ratio of 1:3 sugar to water, and boil in until it thickens to a runny syrup consistency. Store in a jar for all future cocktail making. It pretty much lasts forever.
  2. Cut open the coconut, or if you are lucky enough to live in a country that sells fresh coconut water in a bottle, measure one cup. Add the strawberries, sugar syrup and rum and blend with a blender.
  3. Serve with loads of ice.

Instagram

usha singh October 29, 2012 at 11:38 am

Oh my Sam this sounds & looks amazing–i am sure i am going to make it for our Diwali celebrations in the next 2 weeks.

Sam October 29, 2012 at 4:11 pm

You will love it Usha, I just wish that coconuts were not so expensive.

usha singh October 29, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Thanks Sam, you should try one of the green grocers in the prominent Indian areas, as you should get it for around R10-R12 each. You can also try the dry coconut, but when you buy that shake to hear if there is any water in it.

Zirkie October 30, 2012 at 9:24 am

Wow, Sam! Your pictures and styling are always so stunning!! I love the Stellenbosch Slow Market – might see you there!

Lori October 30, 2012 at 9:58 am

Beautiful – a perfect summer drink!

Sam October 30, 2012 at 10:04 am

Hi Lori, this coconut water is the shiz nizz – Im going to hunt down cheaper ones as per Usha’s advise :-)

Sam October 30, 2012 at 10:04 am

Thanks Zirkie, I hope I do. I’m most definitely going to be after Rudi’s strawberry sausages.

suzanne Perazzini October 30, 2012 at 10:12 am

You know I have never liked coconut water. It is so super sweet. That’s not to say I wouldn’t like your drink. It looks too pretty not to like.

Sam October 30, 2012 at 10:40 am

Thanks Suzanne, I didn’t find it sweet at all, perhaps because it was a young coconut? not sure. It definitely needed the sugar syrup.

Tandy November 1, 2012 at 8:00 am

I went to buy a green coconut yesterday and there weren’t any. Kim tells me that there is definitely tetra packs of the water available so I am going to see if I can find some. I managed to get the flesh out, but it was not that nice and got tossed :) I have a fantastic recipe to try if I can find the coconut water.

Sam November 2, 2012 at 11:44 am

Hi T, Ja my friend Lori said she has seen packs in Joburg and I had heard at Spar in Green Point as they stock a lot o f imported drinks. I went to check, and they didn’t have,it would be so much more convenient to buy it in a bottle. Let me know if / where you find.

S x

beth perry-davis May 3, 2013 at 4:12 am

I have been calling this a coco rojo! Feel free to use that. Thanks for the delicious recipe!

Sam May 3, 2013 at 12:24 pm

HI Beth – Coco Rojo is pretty cool :-)

Linda Brickhouse June 5, 2013 at 3:27 am

To open the coconut, take a hammer and tap around the coconut. Most of the time it will split open. To get the coconut water stick an ice pick in the indented area which is a darker spot. Put it over a glass and let it drain out. This is what we did when I was growing up. My 94 year old mother used fresh coconut all the time.

Sam June 5, 2013 at 9:54 am

Hi Linda, thanks so much for this awesome advise. No ice pick around here, but the hammer I will do next time.

Barbara Sloan July 19, 2013 at 7:47 pm

How about “Pink Maui”? Also, isn’t coconut water the same as coconut milk? We have that in the states in cans in a regular grocery store. I have some on hand since I am on a coconut oil kick as recommended by Dr. Bruce Fife who writes several books on the subject. VERY healthy! Quite the opposite of everything we’ve been taught about “healthy oils”. Well, enough of that, on to making some cocktails!! Thanks for the recipe, Sam!

Sam July 20, 2013 at 10:45 am

Hi Barbara, no coconut water is very different to the milk and cream. The water is a clear liquid found in the middle of a young coconut. The milk and cream come from the white flesh of the fruit. This can separate into white solids and a clear liquid part.

Barbara Sloan July 25, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Thanks, Sam. I found the coconut water the other day. Can’t wait to try it. Cheers!!

Trenie May 20, 2014 at 1:24 am

Watermelon Coke (for coconut:) You can purchase coconut water at costcos with over a year shelf life. 24 for about 10 bucks.

{ 18 trackbacks }