bill granger’s lime and coconut delicious

Bill Granger's lime and coconut delicious

Bill Granger's lime and coconut delicious

Bill Granger's lime and coconut delicious

I got a little excited on Friday when BBC Lifestyle sent me an extra special and super exciting invitation to enter a cooking / social media / blog challenge which involved making Bill Granger’s lime and coconut delicious dessert, taking pictures of my version of it, and sending the message far and wide across my social media networks that the recipe comes from Bills brand spanking new cooking show called ‘Bills Kitchen: Notting Hill’.

When you hear what the prize up for grabs is, you will see why I dived right into my kitchen with the ingredients they sent me, and whipped up this delicious dessert.

Bill Granger's lime and coconut delicious

Well actually before I dived in, I got to watch the episode the recipe is featured on first and was very impressed. As a person who watches an extraordinary amount of food TV this show is very much in keeping with Bill’s style of cooking and presenting on TV. He is still super relaxed and makes cooking seem effortless, but now instead of being in Sydney, he is in London. More specifically Notting Hill, where he has opened up his restaurant. I cant wait to see the rest of it.

Whenever I think of Bill’s cooking I always think of fresh and zesty recipes that have a clarity of flavour and a focus on great ingredients. In ‘Bills Kitchen: Notting Hill’ he takes this food philosophy and merges it with British inspired food, giving it a great big delicious Bill Granger twist.

Bill Granger's lime and coconut delicious

The recipe is simply called delicious, but is in fact a delicious baked hot pudding that would be delectable on a cold Winters day or equally as appealing in the middle of Summer. The top is a light and fluffy sponge, but as you spoon down you get to a gooey custard-like bottom part.

*cooks notes ~ I used skim milk instead of whole (I always do), and reduced fat cream to pour.

Recipe | serves 6 – 8 (depending on the size of the ramekins)

bill granger’s lime and coconut delicious

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 25 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

Serving Size: 6 - 8 (depending on the size of the ramekins)

bill granger’s lime and coconut delicious

Ingredients

• 60g butter
  • 200g caster sugar
  • zest and juice of 4 limes (80ml)
  • 3 eggs, separated
  • 125g self-raising flour
  • 4 T desiccated coconut
  • 300ml whole milk
  • icing sugar to dust
  • cream to serve

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 180C. use and electric whisk and cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  2. Add the grated lime zest, lime juice and egg yolks and mix to combine.
  3. Add the flour and desiccated coconut, mix again, then pour in the milk and mix to a smooth batter.
  4. Whisk the egg whites until just before they become stiff peaks. Gently fold one spoon of the whites into the batter mixture and. once combined, fold in the remaining egg whites. Pour the mixture into 4 individual buttered ovenproof dishes or a 1 litre dish then sit these in a baking tray half filled with boiling water.
  5. Bake for 20-25 minutes for the indivisual puddings, or 40 - 45 minutes for the large pudding, until golden and set.
  6. Dust with icing sugar before serving warm with cream.

Bills Kitchen: Notting Hill

PREMIERE:

Series 1 x 10 Episodes from Tuesday 24 September

21:00 on BBC Lifestyle – DSTV channel 174

Bill Granger's lime and coconut delicious

Bill Granger's lime and coconut delicious

Bill Granger's lime and coconut delicious

Bill Granger's lime and coconut delicious

I can also be found enthusiastically pinning beautiful food images on Pinterest, and snapping pics of my life in Cape Town and what I eat on Instagram

, , , , , , , ,

47 Responses to bill granger’s lime and coconut delicious

1. Usha September 10, 2013 at 7:25 am #

All the pics look super duper amazing & I do love watching his shows

2. Simone September 10, 2013 at 8:41 am #

I love Bill Granger and this looks, indeed, delicious! Gorgeous pics!

3. Jenny September 10, 2013 at 8:45 am #

Your pictures just make me want to get into the kitchen and try this out. Amazing recipe that sounds delicious, but your photographs really move the recipe to a whole new level of desirability.

4. Helene D'souza September 10, 2013 at 9:01 am #

Can’t wait to try the dessert, looks so tempting right now and I didn’t even have lunch yet. Hope they will air the cooking show in Asia soon too.

5. Sam September 10, 2013 at 9:03 am #

Thanks Jenny :-))

6. Sam September 10, 2013 at 9:03 am #

Hi Helen, I am sure it will be an international show as Bill has strong Asian ties.

7. Sam September 10, 2013 at 9:04 am #

Thanks Simone, I cant rave on about this recipe enough and I’m not even a big fan of coconut. Its comforting and fresh all at the same time.

8. Sam September 10, 2013 at 9:05 am #

Hi Usha, I’m also a fan of his work and his shows, hes so chilled out. I have a few of his books and all his recipes always work out perfectly. I also love his use of Asian inspired flavours.

9. Flee September 10, 2013 at 10:55 am #

Schlurp shchluurp, Schlurp (Read~ Oh My Greatness), this looks awesome and Bill, well he is just such a hottie, could watch him all day. Must file this one Thanks…

10. Anna September 10, 2013 at 2:17 pm #

Sorry Sam – I may not have read properly – but what is the prize 🙂

11. Annette September 10, 2013 at 3:01 pm #

Hi Sam, Thankx for sharing, I just want to know, do I need to whisk the eggs seperate (the whites) or can I use the whole eggs without whisking them? It seems that if I am whisking the eggs white the pud centre “fell in”?

12. fran September 10, 2013 at 4:16 pm #

Can you convert to cups and ounces etc?

13. Sam September 10, 2013 at 6:10 pm #

Hi Fran, I have not converted, but if you check out my conversion table on my site (top navigation bar) you will find a table. Alternatively Goog has dozes of great converts for you 🙂

14. Sam September 10, 2013 at 6:13 pm #

Hi Annette if you follow the recipe that is best :-). Separate the eggs, whisk the whites and fold in at the end as per instructions.

15. Sam September 10, 2013 at 6:14 pm #

HI Anna – sorry I did not include the prize details, did this on social media, but its a trip to London to eat in Bills restaurant. 🙂 hold thumbs.

16. Michael Olivier September 10, 2013 at 6:28 pm #

They should have you to eat there for a week Stunning stunning stunning pics! So what’s new? Your pics are always stunning! Luv ya, Mxx

17. Aura September 10, 2013 at 10:27 pm #

Beautiful blog!!! I met Sam, your friend who is now in the U.S.) and Jeff in a campground last week and Sam recommended your blog. I LOVE it! Can’t wait to dig through your recipes. Sam mentioned it to me when I told her about my blog (www.dinnerwithaura.com). Yours is inspiring!

18. Rachel September 10, 2013 at 11:20 pm #

Good heavens, this looks absolutely heavenly! How exciting. Your pictures are so beautiful and I love Bill Grainger’s recipes. Off to buy a bag of limes…..

19. Laura (Tutti Dolci) September 11, 2013 at 2:25 am #

I love lime with coconut, what a fabulous dessert! Lovely photos!

20. what katie's baking September 11, 2013 at 3:41 am #

yum! beautiful photos and fantastic recipe. it looks so rich, even with the skim milk substitution!

21. dina gibbs September 11, 2013 at 6:59 am #

Sam, LOVE your blog which we discovered when we were living in Cape Town for 18 months. Back in the US now and love getting your blog updates! Your recipes are among our favorites and your photos are phenomenal! Good luck in the competition! You have our vote.

22. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com September 11, 2013 at 9:57 am #

I could devour this in a heartbeat! Beautiful photos, Sam 🙂

Pinned!

23. Sam September 11, 2013 at 11:14 am #

Thanks Kiran, it defs is a winner pudding x

24. Sam September 11, 2013 at 11:15 am #

Thanks Dina, I so pleased to hear that you enjoy it. Made my day x

25. Sam September 11, 2013 at 11:15 am #

Thanks Katie, its rich but light if that is at all possible :-/

26. Sam September 11, 2013 at 11:16 am #

Thanks Rachel and nice to see you on Twitter too x

27. Sam September 11, 2013 at 11:17 am #

Hi Aura, what a small world and thanks for stopping by to say hello. I miss Sam so much. I will take a look at your site.
    Best
    sam

28. Sam September 11, 2013 at 11:17 am #

Thanks M – you are very kind x

29. Belinda @themoonblushbaker September 11, 2013 at 6:23 pm #

I love bill’s recipes! He has such a lovely cafe here in sydney and I love going for brunch there. I love the summer feeling to this dish but is still warming!
    So beautiful how you styled this.

30. Sam September 12, 2013 at 8:46 am #

Thanks Belinda, I seriously hoping to get to London and Bills restaurant.

31. Sally September 13, 2013 at 10:57 pm #

This was delicious!

32. Shanna@ pineapple and coconut September 15, 2013 at 5:01 am #

OH I love this!! Coconut and lime is one of my favorite combos! And I am curious what the prize is – Your photos are stunning like always!

33. Sam September 16, 2013 at 9:13 am #

Hi Shanna, thanks 🙂 – and the prize is a trip to London to eat in Bills restaurant. so hold thumbs.

34. Sam September 16, 2013 at 9:19 am #

Awesome Sally that is great 🙂

35. Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence September 21, 2013 at 2:11 am #

Yum, this looks good! And I love that wooden surface!

36. Ana Q. September 25, 2013 at 8:08 pm #

I love your work. Congratulations.

37. Sam September 25, 2013 at 8:33 pm #

Thanks Ana – I won the prize to London.

38. Lea Ann (Cooking On The Ranch) December 4, 2013 at 3:12 pm #

This really looks incredible. Pinned

39. Isabel December 8, 2013 at 11:36 am #

On the recipe towel it says “preheat the oven to 18C..” i seriously started to think about how i can manage that!! lol
    Congratulations on your win! And great blog. Thank You!
    Isabel

40. Kim January 28, 2014 at 2:22 pm #

Hi Sam. I note that this is to be served as a warm pudding. Is it possible to make the batter earlier in the day and then to keep it in the fridge until it is needed? So, when ready to serve dessert the batter can just be poured into the ramekins and baked? Please let me know if this would be an issue. Thanks.

41. Sam January 28, 2014 at 3:28 pm #

Hi Kim, I have not tried but I would not make it in advance as the egg whites get folded in by hand at the end which helps give this dessert a lovely airy texture. This will be lost making it in advance. Not the same as making a pancake batter in advance, but having said that, Only a trial will tell.
    best
    sam

42. Bobbie December 6, 2015 at 11:27 am #

This is DELICIOUS! So light,it melts in your mouth! I’m going to make a lemon one next time ?

43. Sam December 7, 2015 at 12:33 pm #

Awesome Bobbie, glad you like and Im sure lemon will be equally delicious. Its also one of my favorite desserts.

1. Delicious coconut and Lime WhatWhat | tlalane's favourites - September 10, 2013

[…] Delicious coconut and Lime WhatWhat […]

2. Friday Wrap | A Woman's Lifestyle - September 13, 2013

[…] Ohhhh I want to make this Bill Granger recipe, via Drizzle and Dip… Lime and Coconut Delicious! […]

3. Behind the camera again and a taste of the tropics. | dollytoast - September 24, 2013

[…] base – who could say no to that? If you would like to try this pudding out, follow the recipe here, on Samantha’s blog. Don’t forget the […]

4. Lime and Coconut Pudding | Kiwifeed - July 22, 2015

[…] Auckland, is very exciting. I decided to do a bit of searching for a lime pudding and I found this Lime and Coconut Pudding gem fairly quickly, which I think is my new favorite Winter pudding. It is warm and slightly gooey […]