easy pork pies with sage and apple

pork pies with sage and apple

I’m a very big fan of a good sausage roll and these pork pies with sage and apple are pretty much my best. Its a recipe I have been tweaking over time and I love how the apple adds a touch of sweetness and softens the texture, also keeping them extra moist. Sage and pork are perfect partners so I went with a classic flavour profile. These are also super easy to make.

This was one of the hand pie recipes I wrote and shot for Organic Life (Previously Organic Gardening) – and the article was published in January this year.

pork pies with sage and apple

Puff pastry pies are best served hot straight out the oven and I’m quite partial to dipping them in tomato sauce on the side. I use an all-butter puff pastry because it’s the only way to roll (did you see what I did there?). You can also make these pies as big or as small as you like. They are super cute as cocktail pies too.

Recipe makes 8 medium pies

• 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 large green apples, peeled and grated
  • 3 pork sausages, meat removed from skin (about 200g)
  • 500gm pork mince
  • 2-3T finely chopped sage (about 15 leaves)
  • ¾ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp white pepper
  • 1Tbsp chopped parsley
  • ½ cup breadcrumbs
  • 2 x 250g sheets of ready-made puff pastry
  • 1 egg lightly beaten with tablespoon milk

Preheat the oven to 180 C / 350 F

Fry the onion until soft – about 5 minutes

Add the apple and cook for a minute or two until softened.

Add this to a bowl with all the other ingredients and mix well.

Roll the puff pastry onto a floured surface and if necessary, roll it further until it is about 3mm thick.

Divide the mixture in half and place enough meat along the long end of the pastry. The pastry should overlap slightly when you join the two sides. Brush the joined edge with egg and gently roll this ensuring that the join is on the underside.

Cut to the desired length (into 4), place on a lined baking tray, brush the tops with the egg wash and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.

pork pies with sage and apple

Find me on Instagram and Pinterest

, , , , , ,

12 Responses to easy pork pies with sage and apple

1. lynne hoareau September 21, 2015 at 10:41 am #

Awesome ! apple, sage and pork is a match made in heaven :-). I too, love a good sausage roll, and making them slightly larger can only be a plus ! Your pics are brilliant by the way, I could eat several right now, through the computer. Have a great day

2. Sam September 21, 2015 at 4:01 pm #

Thanks Lynne x

3. Michelle Savage September 21, 2015 at 6:13 pm #

Yum, Yum!

4. Laura (Tutti Dolci) September 21, 2015 at 9:51 pm #

Love the flavors here, sage and apple are so good with pork!

5. thejameskitchen September 22, 2015 at 8:56 am #

Now, that’s a good hybrid and since my husband is an expert for both sausage rolls & pork pies, I’ll put these to the test right this week. I am sure he’ll love them.
    Nicole

6. Sam September 22, 2015 at 9:48 am #

Hi Nicole, please let me know how it goes.

7. Sabrina September 24, 2015 at 11:28 pm #

Yum! These sound great!!

8. Amaryllis @ thetastyother.com September 25, 2015 at 12:14 pm #

I’ve never made pork pies and, looking at these, I can’t wait to! The combination of pork, apple and sage is one of my favourites come fall. Thanks for sharing, Sam!

9. Jerry / butter + scotch October 10, 2015 at 2:33 pm #

I can’t comprehend why I’ve never had these before… They sound amazing and I know what I’ll be making tonight!

10. bernadette October 11, 2015 at 10:11 pm #

Sounds deli!,, will try soon!! ill let you know. Saludos de Mexico!

11. maggiebeckjord April 28, 2016 at 6:29 pm #

Yummy! Question about the sausage -you say 3 sausages, that are apparently link -but – I dont know what size you are working with. I typically each breakfast sausage links -but I think you are referencing something bigger?

12. Sam April 29, 2016 at 9:09 am #

Hi Maggie – these are very typical pork sausage sizes. Ive seen in England and in SA. It doesnt really matter too much to be exact and they are from links.