Fresh, crisp and healthy, these are Vietnamese summer rolls with prawns is the perfect starter or picnic snack. Add the black sesame seeds to increase the X factor.
You can add any filling you like, I used:
- finely cut carrot julienne
- finely sliced cucumber
- spring onions cut thinly lengthways
- cooked prawns
- slices of avo
Other great fillings:
- rice noodles
- mung bean sprouts
- peppers, julienned
- mango, pineapple
- salmon, chicken, tofu, duck – etcetera
how to make:
- Get all the fillings ready and lined up on a platter
- Soak the rice paper rounds for a few seconds in boiling water. The hotter the water, the quicker the softening. Then place the soft rice paper on a flattened-out and dampened tea towel. They can be a bit sticky, but just gently pull them apart.
- Then fill and roll as I did here
I love this particular product which I recently discovered at Woolies
Hoi sin, plum, soya or sweet chilli sauce, or sweet chilli sauce with Asian mayonnaise make great dips.
Serve with lime wedges or cheeks and dips. Your friends will think you are very clever, and then they will love you even more after they have tasted these. So all around a heartwarming win-win.