Embrace the delightful combination of flavours in this delicious banana Bread with the sweet tang of cranberries and the satisfying crunch of walnuts. This irresistible combination might be your new favourite banana bread recipe.
In case you didn’t know, I’m on a mission to uncover and discover the best recipes for classic baked foods that I love. This is obviously completely subjective, and I am the only judge here, but I know what I like from a lifetime of baking, an intense passion for baked goodies, and a love of bakeries. I am also extremely fussy, worked in the baking industry for nine years, and ran my own home baking business for two, so got up close and really personal with this side of the culinary spectrum.
I bake a lot and I hunt recipes on an ongoing and relentless basis. If I overhear in a conversation someone referring to the ‘best cheesecake’ they have ever eaten, or their gran makes the ‘best shortbread’ etc, I will try in any way to unearth and get the recipe handed over. Over the years I have gathered quite a few of these classics and often find that they are way better than many you will find written by famous celebrity cookbook writers.
I bake these recipes, I tweak these recipes, I add things to them that I think are important or leave them exactly as they are, and hopefully get to the place where I can rest my spatula and feel assured that I have discovered the best version of its kind.
This is very much a ‘work in progress’ project and I have a way to go still. A few are really good but haven’t quite reached THE Keeper spot.
*updated – possibly the best banana bread ever*
A few of the ‘best of the best that I have found:
- white chocolate, cranberry, and pecan nut cookie
- my grandmother Betty’s crunchies
- the best chocolate chip cookies on the internet
- ultimate chocolate cake
This banana, cranberry, and walnut bread is definitely one of those recipes and is so easy to whip up. The only change I would make is to possibly add another banana if I wanted to get softer textural bits and intense banana flavour. Otherwise, it’s pretty perfect as it is.
PS: when I published this recipe in my first cookbook I reduced the sugar to 3/4 cup (180grmas) so you can decide how you would like it. I personally like less sweet banana bread.
What you will need to make one loaf:
banana bread with cranberries and walnuts
- 1/4 cup 55gm butter (soft and at room temp)
- 1 cup 200gm sugar
- 2 eggs large
- 3 - 4 big bananas roughly smashed you could smash half and slice half
- 3/4 cup of dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup 200gm flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Linsellpreheat the oven to 180C or 350 F
- butter or line a 22 x 12cm loaf tin with baking paper (I always prefer to line my baking tins)
- cream butter and sugar until fluffy and then add the eggs one at a time allowing them to be fully mixed before adding the next one
- add the vanilla, banana, walnuts, and cranberries and mix briefly
- sift all the dry ingredients and mix to just combine (very quickly)
- spread into the loaf tin and bake for 55 minutes until a knife comes out clean (if it's a deep pan you may need to bake for a bit longer)
- I fell in love with this banana bread, and it's best served slightly warm out of the oven, with lashings of salty butter melting in.