This is one of those decadently delicious recipes that everyone will enjoy. I mean who doesn’t want a succulent piece of chicken smothered in herbs, crumbs and Parmesan cheese that is fried in olive oil and butter until golden brown.
It is also very quick and easy to make, so you could have supper made within 20 minutes.
Its based on Ina Garten’s recipe which I saw on ‘The Barefoot Contessa’ the other day.
Ina recommends serving this with a simple salad of green leaves with shaved Parmesan and all tossed in a lemony vinaigrette. So that is exactly what I did.
Recipe: (for 4 – 5 breasts)
- 4 – 5 skinless free range chicken breasts
- 1 cup of flour (seasoned with 1 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of black pepper)
- 2 eggs lightly beaten and set aside in a flat-bottomed bowl
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs (I used Asian panko crumbs as they are very nice and crispy but any fresh bread crumb will do)
- 1 Tbs of chopped parsley and thyme to toss in the crumbs, but just one or the other will do
- 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese or whole cheese which you grate on the finest side of the grater
- salt and pepper to season the crumbs
- olive oil and butter for frying.
- lemon wedges to serve
Pound the chicken breast between two pieces of cling or in a thick plastic bag until fairly thin. Set out the flour in a flat dish next to the beaten eggs, next to the crumbs, sort of like a production line. It gets quite messy so you want to work quite quickly. You will need to heat a tablespoon of olive oil and a knob of butter in the pan for each fry. If you have a large non stick frying pan, double this up and fry 2 breasts at a time. I always find it necessary to wipe the pan down with paper towel before adding the new piece of chicken as I find the crumbs can blacken and ruin the next piece. Dunk each piece of chicken, one at a time first in the flour (dust off any excess) and then dip into the egg and ensure it is thoroughly coated. Finally dredge in the parmesan crumbs to coat. Fry on each side until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper. If necessary, keep in the oven at a very low heat until you are ready to serve.
Mix a leafy green salad with a nice lemony vinaigrette and serve this piled on top of the chicken breasts or on the side.